Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures…

Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

by David Schwartz

"Where in the Wild," was very interesting to read because the illustrations and text features really involve you as a reader to be entertained as you are learning information throughout the book. To begin with, I think the pictures where you had to find the animal in the camouflage, and then lift the flap to find the animal's hiding place was absolutely genius! Kids love to do interesting things and instead of this book being boring, it was very fun. In addition, the literary devices of how they would spell out certain words or how the words would make a certain shape on the page was equally interesting. The message delivered through this book was the different habitats of where each of the featured animals lived in addition to facts about the animal itself.
  dcully1 | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book was so cool! Each page is loaded with captions and information about the animal. The pages are detailed and bold and will capture the attention of the reader. Details are given about the animal through poems which give clues. The page themselves seem to be only large pictures until you see that the page opens to the said poems and information. A very creative way to keep young people busy while exploring this book. ( )
  jessotto | Mar 26, 2014 |
I loved reading this book! The main message is to teach children about different animals and how they camouflage into their environments. The first reason I liked this book was because of the language. I think that making words rhyme in a text helps the students understand, while teaching them different rhyming words. They also use fun descriptive words that children can understand, like "wobbly legs" and "zigzag flight". The second reason I loved this book was because of the features it contained. For example, when the book was talking about a snake, the words on the page were wavy, kind of like the way a snake moves. On the page about the crab spider, the text is positioned to look like 8 legs around a body. Another feature I like is that there is a picture of the habitat with the animal hiding in it, so the children have to try and spot the animal. If they have trouble, they can lift up the page and see where the animal was. On the inside of the page, about the animal, like what they eat and fun facts about them. This is a very cute way to make the book interactive and interesting for the children. ( )
  jperro2 | Mar 11, 2014 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, the photographs were really fun to look at and added an interactive element to the book. It was fun to try to find the animal and be able to turn the page to see the animal highlighted. Secondly, I liked the mixture of poetry and expository writing. This also enhanced the story and made it more engaging. The poems act as clues for the camouflaged creatures, then the expository writing explains facts about the animal. Thirdly, I liked that the poetry used text features that help support the clues. For example, the poem about the spider is shaped like a spider and the poem for the snake seems to slither across the page. The main idea of this book was to provide information about camouflaged animals in nature in a fun and interactive way.
  jdobso4 | Nov 12, 2013 |
I liked this book. I think it's a very good approach to informational text. I like how the information about the animals was presented in a poem, not just a paragraph or blurb. I also love the camouflaged pictures of the animals. I think that it added a fun aspect to an otherwise plain text. The main idea here is to teach the readers about certain animals while also having them find them in a camouflaged picture. ( )
  akitso1 | Nov 12, 2013 |

Ten different animals introduce the concept of camouflage in riddle-poems and double-page photos that comment on the animal's life and use of camouflage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,657,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible