Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures…

Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

by David M. Schwartz, Yael Schy (Author)

1331990,390 (4.36)1

I would use this book to introduce habitats and explain how animals live in different habitats around the world, and how they use camouflage to keep themselves safe. I would also use the book to show ways that we can present research during research assignments, or as examples of different poems. Grade: k-3 ( )
  amassingale | Nov 24, 2015 |
Where in the Wild? Poetry (Informational)
Written by David M. Schwartz and Yael Schy

“Where in the Wild” is a fun children’s picture book about various types of animals. The reader is to read the poem on the left hand side, make a prediction about the animal the poem is describing, and then lift the flap to determine whether their prediction was correct or incorrect. I loved how some of the poetry were concrete poems. For example, there was a poem about a snake where the lines curved up and down to look like a snake. The titles of the poems were great indicators and gave readers big hints about the animal. For example, the poem “Wings Outspread” was about a moth. Schwartz wrote, “… Out spread/ Wings of white/ Blend with birch bark…”. On the right side of the book were illustrations with the animal camouflaged to conceal itself. I really enjoyed reading this book myself. I thought it was very creative how it was written as short poems rather than prose in short paragraphs. I think children would really enjoy reading short poems, guessing, and checking their animal knowledge. ( )
  LBurro2 | Oct 6, 2015 |
Where in the Wild by David Schwartz is an incredible informational/poetry book. I honestly couldn't tell you which is more captivating, the illustrations or the brilliant usage of poetic writing. "Spots, spots, we've got lots", Schwartz uses rhyming poetic writing to not only inform the reader about baby deer, but in a way that creates effortless flow. Furthermore, the illustrations are all real life photographs that are not only beautiful in color, but they express the theme of the book, camouflage! That's not all, if you are stuck trying to find the animal in the picture just lift the page and the animal's position is revealed along with a fold out page of interesting facts on that animal. Where in the Wild is fascinating from its illustrations to its creative writing style. ( )
  Cdavie3 | Sep 23, 2015 |
I liked reading this book for many reasons. First, each page is very engaging for the reader. Not only does each page rhyme, but there is also an informational message about a particular animal. For example, when introducing the weasel, the author said, “I’m silent and still, till I leap out and pounce. Even prey twice my size I can easily trounce.” Following along with the rhyming, there is more factual information about the weasel including; they live in grasslands, woods, marshes, and fields. Another rhyming example was, “Spots, spots, we’ve got lots-not checks or stripes or polka dots.” I also liked how each page contained a photograph of the animal in their habitat. For example, the weasel was hiding in the snow. The reader was able to search for the weasel and if they couldn’t find it, they could flip up the page where the hiding weasel is revealed. The book was written in an interesting way that combined rhyming and information, following with photographs of the animals hiding. The photographs add to the text providing a visual to compare with. For example, when talking about the deer learning how to walk within a few hours from birth, the picture shows a baby deer walking. The information provided is appropriate for the audience. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot of new information. ( )
  SarahAlaoui | Sep 17, 2015 |
I like this book a lot, for a few reasons. First, I like how engaging the writing is. Each animal is introduced with a poem, then allows the reader to actually locate the animal that is camouflaged then provides facts about the animal. This is a great pattern to keep the reader engaged. Secondly, I like that this book can be used for a variety to uses and age levels. The book can be read partially or in full for different lessons and ages.The main idea of this story is to provide information about camouflage and animals that use it while still entertaining the reader. ( )
  rsochu1 | Mar 27, 2015 |

Schwartz, David M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schy, YaelAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Leo, my friend and fellow explorer of places where wild things hide.--D.M.S.
To my nieces and nephews, Ilana, Oren, Marin, and Trevor, who love the wild outdoors.--Y.S.
To my granddaughter, Emma.--D.K.

Ten different animals introduce the concept of camouflage in riddle-poems and double-page photos that comment on the animal's life and use of camouflage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible