Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures…

Where in the Wild?: Camouflaged Creatures Concealed... and Revealed

by David Schwartz

I like this book a lot, for a few reasons. First, I like how engaging the writing is. Each animal is introduced with a poem, then allows the reader to actually locate the animal that is camouflaged then provides facts about the animal. This is a great pattern to keep the reader engaged. Secondly, I like that this book can be used for a variety to uses and age levels. The book can be read partially or in full for different lessons and ages.The main idea of this story is to provide information about camouflage and animals that use it while still entertaining the reader. ( )
  rsochu1 | Mar 27, 2015 |
I liked this book for the illustrations. Each picture has an animal hidden for the reader to find. That allows the readers to stay engaged in the reading. An example is a frog camouflaged on a tree, and readers are encouraged to find the frog on the tree. I also like the book on the writing and how it is organized. The story is written in poems making it an exciting and easy read. The poems are also organized by animals. For example "Wings Outspread" "flitting darting zigzag flight blurry wings beats in the night resting outspread wings of white blend with birch bark by days light." The message of this collection of poems is to look deeper. ( )
  egiddi1 | Mar 11, 2015 |
"Where in the Wild," was very interesting to read because the illustrations and text features really involve you as a reader to be entertained as you are learning information throughout the book. To begin with, I think the pictures where you had to find the animal in the camouflage, and then lift the flap to find the animal's hiding place was absolutely genius! Kids love to do interesting things and instead of this book being boring, it was very fun. In addition, the literary devices of how they would spell out certain words or how the words would make a certain shape on the page was equally interesting. The message delivered through this book was the different habitats of where each of the featured animals lived in addition to facts about the animal itself.
  dcully1 | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book was so cool! Each page is loaded with captions and information about the animal. The pages are detailed and bold and will capture the attention of the reader. Details are given about the animal through poems which give clues. The page themselves seem to be only large pictures until you see that the page opens to the said poems and information. A very creative way to keep young people busy while exploring this book. ( )
  jessotto | Mar 26, 2014 |
I loved reading this book! The main message is to teach children about different animals and how they camouflage into their environments. The first reason I liked this book was because of the language. I think that making words rhyme in a text helps the students understand, while teaching them different rhyming words. They also use fun descriptive words that children can understand, like "wobbly legs" and "zigzag flight". The second reason I loved this book was because of the features it contained. For example, when the book was talking about a snake, the words on the page were wavy, kind of like the way a snake moves. On the page about the crab spider, the text is positioned to look like 8 legs around a body. Another feature I like is that there is a picture of the habitat with the animal hiding in it, so the children have to try and spot the animal. If they have trouble, they can lift up the page and see where the animal was. On the inside of the page, about the animal, like what they eat and fun facts about them. This is a very cute way to make the book interactive and interesting for the children. ( )
  jperro2 | Mar 11, 2014 |
To Leo, my friend and fellow explorer of places where wild things hide.--D.M.S.
To my nieces and nephews, Ilana, Oren, Marin, and Trevor, who love the wild outdoors.--Y.S.
To my granddaughter, Emma.--D.K.

Ten different animals introduce the concept of camouflage in riddle-poems and double-page photos that comment on the animal's life and use of camouflage.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,202,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible