The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to…

The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master (original 2000; edition 1999)

by Andrew Hunt, David Thomas

Member:MarBur
Title:The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
Authors:Andrew Hunt
Other authors:David Thomas
Info:Addison-Wesley Professional (1999), Edition: 1, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:computer, learning, programming, nonfiction

The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt (2000)

Recently added byccatalfo, valdanylchuk, private library, OldManNick, eyongxin, theurere, juliebean, araxhiel, swsnider

English (14)  Hungarian (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
A great piece of work which serves as a general guide to good programming. It addresses the craft of writing software irrespective of the domain of application and you can feel that the authors have poured years of their own experience into this text. Although written in 2000 (I read it in 2013) I feel like all the points covered are still relevant in a modern environment. It encourages the reader to be critical, precise and determined in their craft and continuously reiterates the need for constant self-improvement and further learning in this trade. The underlying principles of programming such as modularity and don't repeat yourself are very well explained, and there is plenty of information and tips on debugging, refactoring and testing - it's all in here.

This is an excellent book if you have already programmed a bit and are looking for something to elevate your skills up a notch to a more professional level.

As some of the topics in this book were beyond my scope of understanding on the initial reading, I will definitely be re-reading this in the future once I have gained more experience. ( )
  ilokhov | Jan 7, 2015 |
After many years, I finally got around to reading this. I'd already seen much of it, in various locations, so it wasn't as illuminating as it would have been if I had read it in the early 2000's. ( )
  bitplayer | Feb 9, 2014 |
An excellent handbook. Useful for everyone who wants to build high quality software. ( )
  pmerriam | Apr 9, 2012 |
This was an interesting experience because I don't recall ever reading a computer programming book straight through. I'm in the process of segueing back after a few years away, and this was a good route to take -- once familiar advice packaged succinctly, with enough new and enough detail to stretch me a bit into the modern world. I did not do the exercises at the end of each section. Can I still claim that I read it? This is the sort of book that I would typically have on hand as reference, but a reference book is of course more useful if you kinda know what's in it.

(read 10 Feb 2009)
  qebo | Jul 16, 2011 |
a
  Ovi_Books | Jun 6, 2010 |
For Ellie and Juliet,
Elizabeth and Zachary,
Stuart and Henry
This book will help you become a better programmer.
First, we want to make our systems highly configurable. Not just things such as screen colors and prompt text, but deeply ingrained items such as the choice of algorithms, database products, middleware technology, and user-interface style.
Contents

Internet Resources 266

Bibliography 275

B Answers to Exercises 279

Index 309

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 020161622X, Paperback)

Programmers are craftspeople trained to use a certain set of tools (editors, object managers, version trackers) to generate a certain kind of product (programs) that will operate in some environment (operating systems on hardware assemblies). Like any other craft, computer programming has spawned a body of wisdom, most of which isn't taught at universities or in certification classes. Most programmers arrive at the so-called tricks of the trade over time, through independent experimentation. In The Pragmatic Programmer, Andrew Hunt and David Thomas codify many of the truths they've discovered during their respective careers as designers of software and writers of code.

Some of the authors' nuggets of pragmatism are concrete, and the path to their implementation is clear. They advise readers to learn one text editor, for example, and use it for everything. They also recommend the use of version-tracking software for even the smallest projects, and promote the merits of learning regular expression syntax and a text-manipulation language. Other (perhaps more valuable) advice is more light-hearted. In the debugging section, it is noted that, "if you see hoof prints think horses, not zebras." That is, suspect everything, but start looking for problems in the most obvious places. There are recommendations for making estimates of time and expense, and for integrating testing into the development process. You'll want a copy of The Pragmatic Programmer for two reasons: it displays your own accumulated wisdom more cleanly than you ever bothered to state it, and it introduces you to methods of work that you may not yet have considered. Working programmers will enjoy this book. --David Wall

Topics covered: A useful approach to software design and construction that allows for efficient, profitable development of high-quality products. Elements of the approach include specification development, customer relations, team management, design practices, development tools, and testing procedures. This approach is presented with the help of anecdotes and technical problems.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:49 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible