Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Heart's Blood by Jane Yolen

Heart's Blood (1984)

by Jane Yolen

This second book was better than the first, but good grief, the ending was weird. Interesting and sort of artsy, but weird.

Heart's Blood addressed some of the bad stuff inherent to the fictional world--the class system, indentured servitude, etc., but also didn't address the casual acceptance of plenty of other bad stuff. (Eugenics, etc.) And dear effing god, the sexism burned all the way through. It was absolutely ridiculous. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Jakkin's dragon, Heart's Blood, is now a champion of several small fights in the pits, but is taking time off for breeding. Unexpectedly, Jakkin gets word that his friend Akki is in trouble and needs his help. Jakkin longs to set off immediately for the city, where Akki has gotten involved in rebel activity -- but there are the hatchlings to consider...

This continues the story started in Dragon's Blood, and expands into the politics of Jakkin's home planet. It's a pretty quick read, but of course, it is not the end of the series, so in some ways it serves as a bridge to the events of the next book. ( )
  foggidawn | Nov 7, 2017 |
Substance: The boy from Book 1 gets drawn into political intrigue by his lady-love, involving rebels, off-world Federation interests, and the people who just want to be left alone. More mature content than Book 1, but still at a junior level. ( )
  librisissimo | Mar 3, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this second entry in The Dragon Pit Chronicles. There didn't seem to be as much with the dragons other than the pit fighting. The world of Austar IV was explored more and we were introduced to some political intrigue. The one point that pulls focus from the book for me was that the very last chapter was missing a few paragraphs. I contacted the publisher to get the text but they no longer carry the book. So I had to go to the library to check it out and copy the missing text to put in my copy of the book. This incident disrupted the flow of the book for me and took away from my first experience of reading it. Hopefully my next read through will be more enjoyable now that I have put the missing text in my copy. ( )
  pausanias | Mar 7, 2014 |
This book continues the story of Heart's Blood, the pit dragon, and her friend Jakkin. The young dragon master is a year older, physically, and the tone of the book reflects the more sober and maturing young man that he is becoming. ( )
  fuzzi | Dec 4, 2013 |
For Adam Stemple,
dragon master
The second moon had just lipped the horizon when Jakkin checked the barn again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015205118X, Paperback)

Jakkin risks everything--his freedom, his dragon, even his life--to rescue his beloved in this stirring sequel to Dragon's Blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

When a plea arrives from his beloved Akki, Jakkin becomes a spy and risks his dragon Heart's Blood, her five hatchlings, and his freedom to go to the rescue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,465,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible