The Hound from the Pound by Jessica Swaim

The Hound from the Pound (2007)

by Jessica Swaim

5113229,653 (4)None

The main message of this picture book is to try and be accepting and as caring as possible to everyone and eventually everyone will find someone to love.
I wasn’t quite fond of this book because of the language, the plot, and the characters.
Although this book contains many dog names, I was not fond of the language used. There are many parts that feel unorganized with too many details that are not related to the story. Also the usage of dog names became quite confusing to those that know little about dogs and although one would not have to look them up, it did interrupt the flow of the words.
I also wasn’t fond of the plot of this book. The beginning where Mary was lonely and wanted a dog was believable and kept me interested but once she wanted to keep at least 15 dogs, dogs that do not listen, I had a hard time creating a connection with the Mary. Also I had a hard time with Sam, a canine trainer, would let her keep so many and also help her train them. It was a bit much for me to accept for a story that is based off a realistic world.
In addition, I wasn’t very fond of the characters. Originally, I felt bad for Mary, being all alone and wanted to adopt a dog but the farther I got into the book, the harder time I had connecting with Mary or Sam. Although this is a children’s book, they seemed quite plain and had unrealistic reactions to the events that were happening to them. I doubt any person would want to keep roughly 15 dogs after they completely destroyed their house. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 15, 2015 |
31 months - Very cute and funny. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I think that this book was very different. I did not like it because it did not make a lot of sense, to me. ( )
  krausch | Feb 24, 2015 |
Great rhyming book with clever lyrics. Many dogs to spot and enjoy for all the dog lovers out there. The illustrations were fun to look at. Mary heads to the pound to find companionship and comes home with the perfect hound...which of course is when the fun begins! Cute little romance is store as well. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
This is such a good story! The story will introduce children to the idea of adopting dogs instead of buying them. It also shows that with some work the dogs can learn to be good pets. I really liked the love story at the end for Miss Mary and Sam. It was a great way to end a good story. I also really like how it rhymed as that is always entertaining. Finally I really liked how it named all different types of dogs. That would be fun for students to hear the names of dogs they never had before. This was a cute story. ( )
  LauraMcQueen | Feb 28, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076362330X, Hardcover)

After a hapless woman adopts a pack leader from the pound, his furry friends follow in dogged pursuit in this rhythmical romp.

Lonely Miss Mary longs for a four-legged friend. But when she makes the mistake of choosing the untrained basset hound Blue, no sooner does he howl AH-ROOoooooo! than her house has gone to the dogs! Dalmatians and dachshunds, sheepdogs and setters, poodles and pups of all spots are ruling the roost. Can Sam the canine trainer teach this menagerie some pawsitive tricks? A charmingly illustrated, rollicking text offers a doggone good time and a perfectly happy ending.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

When lonely Miss Mary Lynn MacIntosh decides to adopt Blue, a basset hound from the pound, she gets far more companionship than she ever expected.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible