The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry

The Venetian Betrayal (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Steve Berry

Member:dereiter
Title:The Venetian Betrayal
Authors:Steve Berry
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Rating:***

The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry (Author) (2007)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
Steve Berry is getting very formulaic. Not one of my favorites. Entertaining enough if you want an easy read. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
An okay book, but not one that I'm excited about.

To me this is a bit of a confusing book.
First of all there are lots of characters who all pursue a goal, but not necessarily the same. Then there are side line characters who meddle with whom should be conducting a certain part of the investigation, who even manipulate. Characters that are 'good', oh no, they're "bad", and then eventually maybe be good again.
The many storylines muddled the plot for me: I found it hard to understand why they sometimes went here, then there. Dependencies were listed as "someone owing another a favor', but were not further explained or characterized, making that the whole transaction of calling in a favor remained shadowy.
Traps were seen by one of the victims, but had to be explained by the author, because in the storyline there was no reason why that character should have seen through the deception, let alone how.

This was my first book by Steve Berry. I don't think I'll be picking up another book by him anytime soon (if ever). ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 30, 2013 |
Synopsis: Once again Cotton Malone is sucked into the Justice Department intrigue, along with Cassiopeia Vitt, Henrik Thorvaldsen, and Stephanie Nell. This time they must deal with Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina of the Asian federation, biological warfare, and the riddle of the tomb of Alexander the Great.
Review: Once again Steve Berry has pulled together a great deal of research to produce an entertaining book. The plot has some nice twists and the ending, although anticipated, has some surprises. ( )
  DrLed | Oct 7, 2013 |
I just finished The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry. This is the perfect audiobook when you want a thriller that is fun and exciting with a bit of background history thrown in. A great listen with Scott Brick as the narrator. The book travels all over Europe and Asia and features characters from Russia (can't have a spy novel without a Russian!), the U.S. and Europe. Brick does a fantastic job with the Russian accents. But I think what really made me enjoy this book is one of the main characters, Cotton Malone. A former CIA operative, he lives in Denmark where he owns a bookstore. Wouldn't it be so much more exciting if instead of being high tech refugees, Ann, Lilly, and I were former spies? Of course part of why he is so effective catching the bad guys is all of the history and culture that he has acquired as a bookstore owner. The story is filled with lots of interesting tidbits about Alexander the Great. It makes me want to start reading more about ancient Greece...after I become fluent in Russian with Pimsleur Russian... ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
A professor from my university recommended this book to me because he knew that I based my research around Hephaestion and Alexander the Great. I was hesitant at the recommendation at first because for some reason whenever someone fictionalizes Alex... it's rather embarrassing. Yet, hardly ever does an author mention Hephaestion, let alone the relationship of the two, so out of love I decided to try it out. I accepted his copy to borrow and brought it with me when we went to Egypt. I have to admit that I am impressed. The short chapters kept the story flowing quickly, and while the story and its relation to Alex was...unlikely, it was catchy and I could choose to not let it interfere. I think I will follow Cotton into another adventure.

P.S. - Beginning with the execution of the doctor was awesome ;) ( )
  dustandshadow | May 24, 2013 |

Berry, SteveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Villa, ElisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toil and risk are the price of glory, but it is a lovely thing to live with courage and die leaving an everlasting fame.
--Alexander the Great

It is a divine right of madness, not to be able to see the evil which lies just in front.
--Unknown Danish playwright
For Karen Elizabeth,
A journey complete
Alexander of Macedonia had decided yesterday to kill the man himself.

In 323 B.C.E, having conquered Persia, Alexander the Great set his sights on Arabia, then suddenly succumbed to a strange fever. Locating his final resting place–unknown to this day–remains a tantalizing goal for both archaeologists and treasure hunters. Now the quest for this coveted prize is about to heat up. And Cotton Malone–former U.S. Justice Department agent turned rare-book dealer–will be drawn into an intense geopolitical chess game.

After narrowly escaping incineration in a devastating fire that consumes a Danish museum, Cotton learns from his friend, the beguiling adventurer Cassiopeia Vitt, that the blaze was neither an accident nor an isolated incident. As part of campaign of arson intended to mask a far more diabolical design, buildings across Europe are being devoured by infernos of unnatural strength.

And from the ashes of the U.S.S.R., a new nation has arisen: Former Soviet republics have consolidated into the Central Asian Federation. At its helm is Supreme Minister Irina Zovastina, a cunning despot with a talent for politics, a taste for blood sport, and the single-minded desire to surpass Alexander the Great as history’s ultimate conqueror.
Backed by a secret cabal of powerbrokers, the Federation has amassed a harrowing arsenal of biological weapons. Equipped with the hellish power to decimate other nations at will, only one thing keeps Zovastina from setting in motion her death march of domination: a miraculous healing serum, kept secret by an ancient puzzle and buried with the mummified remains of Alexander the Great–in a tomb lost to the ages for more than 1,500 years.

Together, Cotton and Cassiopeia must outrun and outthink the forces allied against them. Their perilous quest will take them to the shores of Denmark, deep into the venerated monuments of Venice, and finally high inside the desolate Pamir mountains of Central Asia to unravel a riddle whose solution could destroy or save millions of people–depending on who finds the lost tomb first.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:04 -0400)

A miraculous healing serum, kept secret by an ancient puzzle and buried with the mummified remains of Alexander the Great--in a tomb lost to the ages for more than 1,500 years--is the coveted prize for a cunning despot unless Cotton Malone, former U.S. Justice Department agent turned rare-book dealer, can beat her to it.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,468,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible