Memories, Dreams, Reflections by C. G. Jung

Memories, Dreams, Reflections

by C. G. Jung, Aniela Jaffé (Editor)

English (13)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (15)
One of the best memoirs ever written, this book has impacted my own dreams. Jung is still vital even as his spirit pervaded the reality of the 70s in almost everything I encountered. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I quite liked this book. It is an unusual autobiography. It is an autobiography of his spiritual / intellectual / emotional life rather than a chronology of events.

It does give a fair amount of insight into the gent, though I must say that there were times when I thought that he rambled a bit. Given his age, and the number of thoughts that were probably rushing through his head, I would say that this is understandable

What I like, is the style of writing. Easy to read and follow. I was expecting turgid prose.

Read a chapter a day. Else, it can get a bit confusing, especially if you have other things to do! ( )
  RajivC | Jul 8, 2015 |
very interesting book, as a autobiography it left much to be desired. jung rarely wrote about his life, he wrote about his ideas and as the title said his dreams. for mw the most interesting part was when he talked about his relationship with Freud and the reasons for their breakup. overall a good overview of his ideas. they are very complex! ( )
  michaelbartley | Nov 15, 2014 |
Jung is fascinating because so much of his writing is interwoven with his intermittent psychotic states. Indeed, some authors think that he had a lifelong struggle with psychosis (see the review by Edelhoff in this collection). Of course, the Freudians think that his work strayed often into the bizarre and mentally disordered visions lacking reality. But there is no doubt that his mind was that of a genius, if a literary one rather than a purely scientific one. His life is, as he says, a myth, but his own myth. His real contribution is that he escaped from Freud's narrow view of the role of the id and libido in human development, into a broader awareness of the many powerful forces of symbols, myths, and universal motives beyond sexuality and aggression.His memories are his own reconstructions of the facts; his dreams cover the broad expanse of human nature; and his reflections are often penetrating and illuminating, in the same way that great artists have the power to create. ( )
1 vote Keith_Conners | Jun 26, 2013 |
This is only a partially autobiographical book by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung as he was assisted by an associate, Aniela Jaffé. The book details Jung's childhood, his personal life, and exploration into the psyche. Jung was very reluctant to cooperate with Jaffé in the beginning, but because of his growing conviction of the work's importance, he became more engrossed in the project and began writing part of the text himself. While he wrote several chapters the rest of the text was written by Jaffé through recording her conversations with Jung. The book was finally published in 1963, two years after Jung's death. Having read several of Jung's better known works, including his Answer to Job, I found this unusual autobiography to be consonant with his ideas if not comprehensive. Considering the title I would characterize the book as an amalgam of memoir, meditation and mirror-like thoughts that I found tantalizing and provocative. ( )
1 vote jwhenderson | Jun 10, 2011 |

C. G. Jungprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jaffé, AnielaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaffé, AnielaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jerotić, VladetaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winston, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winston, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He looked at his own Soul with a Telescope. What seemed all irregular, he saw and shewed to be beautiful Constellations; and he added to the Consciousness hidden worlds within worlds. -- Coleridge, Notebooks
Prologue -- My life is a story of the self-realization of the unconscious. Everything in the unconscious seeks outward manifestation, and the personality too desires to evolve out of its unconscious conditions and to experience itself as a whole. I cannot employ the language of science to trace this process of growth in myself, for I cannot experience myself as a scientific problem.
When I was six months old, my parents moved from Kesswil on Lake Constance to Laufen, the castle and vicarage above the Falls of the Rhine.
Philemon and other figures of my fantasies brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life.  Philemon represented a force which was not myself.  In my fantasies I held conversations with him, and he said things which I had not consciously thought.  For I observed clearly that it was he who spoke, not I.  He said I treated thoughts as if I generated them myself, but in his view thoughts were like animals in the forest, or people in a room, or birds in the air, and added, “If you should see people in a room, you would not think that you had made those people, or that you were responsible for them.”  It was he who taught me psychic objectivity, the reality of the psyche.  Through him the distinction was clarified between myself and the object of my thought.  He confronted me in an objective manner, and I understood that there is something in me which can say things that I do not know and do not intend, things which may even be directed against me.
It is of course ironical that I, a psychiatrist, should at almost every step of my experiment have run into the same psychic material which is the stuff of psychosis and is found in the insane. This is the fund of unconscious images which fatally confuse the mental patient. But it is also the matrix of a mythopoeic imagination which has vanished from our rational age. Though such imagination is present everywhere, it is both tabooed and dreaded, so that it even appears to be a risky experiment or a questionable adventure to entrust oneself to the uncertain path that leads into the depths of the unconscious. It is considered the path of error, of equivocation and misunderstanding. I am reminded of Goethe's words: "Now let me dare to open wide the gate/Past which men's steps have ever flinching trod." The second part of Faust, too, was more than a literary exercise. It is a link in the Aurea Catena which has existed from the beginnings of philosophical alchemy and Gnosticism down to Nietzsche's Zarathustra. Unpopular, ambiguous, and dangerous, it is a voyage of discovery to the other pole of the world.

In the spring of 1957, when he was eighty-one years old, C. G. Jung undertook the telling of his life story. At regular intervals he had conversations with his colleague and friend Aniela Jaffé, and collaborated with her in the preparation of the text based on these talks. On occasion, he was moved to write entire chapters of the book in his own hand, and he continued to work on the final stages of the manuscript until shortly before his death on June 6, 1961.

This edition of Memories, Dreams, Reflections includes Jung's VII Sermones ad Mortuos. It is a fully corrected edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:56 -0400)

The Swiss psychologists shares the visions, inner experiences, and dreams that have shaped his work and thought.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,172,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible