On the Beach by Nevil Shute

On the Beach (original 1957; edition 1983)

by Nevil Shute

Member:delta351
Title:On the Beach
Authors:Nevil Shute
Info:Ballantine Books (1983), Edition: 50699, Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Rating:***

On the Beach by Nevil Shute (1957)

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (alaskabookworm)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (weener, Navarone)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Simone2)
    A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (lisanicholas)
    lisanicholas: Another post-apocalyptic story, Miller's Canticle takes place centuries after nuclear war destroys the world's civilizations, and a new civilization has arisen from the ruins.
    The Last Ship by William Brinkley (goddesspt2)
    Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald (weener)
    In the Wet by Nevil Shute (Booksloth)
    Forbidden Area by Pat Frank (BeckyJG)

English (92)  Danish (3)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (96)
I read this ages ago, of course, but although I remember it too poorly to claim it here as read, I'm confident it's worth a re-read.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It is the 1960s (the book was written in 1957) in Australia. The “short war” was just over a month long. The result of that war: radiation all over the northern hemisphere that has killed everyone. That radiation is making its way south to envelope the planet.

It was good. Most of the book, I'd actually rate “ok”, but the end really picked up, I thought, as the characters knew the end was coming. What would you do with the last months, weeks, and days of your life? I didn't like two of the main characters: Dwight and Moira. Well, I didn't mind Dwight as much, but I really didn't like Moira, so I wasn't nearly as interested in them. I liked Peter, Mary and Jennifer much more. But, there seemed to be more focus on Dwight and Moira, unfortunately for me. The ending upped my rating just a touch, though. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 31, 2015 |
I found it incredibly unbelievable. I just don't believe that society wouldn't completely fall apart, much like the Mad Max franchise. The prose was awful, telling instead of showing, stilted dialogue. I have to wonder if this wasn't more propaganda to get people used to the idea that a nuclear war wouldn't be so bad, if one wasn't in the direct line of fire. ( )
  encephalical | Mar 24, 2015 |
What do you do when the end of the world is silently approaching? A group of Australians know the end is coming to Melbourne, but keep living life. The northern hemisphere was destroyed by a nuclear war between all of the nuclear powers: US, UK, China and Russia. The resulting radiation is slowly moving south to cover the rest of planet.

The book is dated and feels old. But it does not pretend to be anything but the late 1950s with the technology available then. There are no cell phones, no internet, no international calls. News travels slowly, just as the toxic radiation is moving slowly southward.

Maybe there is some hope.... ( )
  dougcornelius | Mar 14, 2015 |
On the Beach by Nevil Shute tells the story of the last month’s in the lives of the last people on earth, and although slightly dated, still makes chills run up and down my spine. Nuclear war has come and gone, there is no one left alive in the earth’s northern hemisphere and clouds of radiation are slowing flowing south.

From the very beginning of the book, the people know that their time is limited, the story starts on January 27th and they know that the end will come sometime by the end of August or early September. We follow a small assortment of people living in and around Melbourne, Australia, through these end times and see them live out their time with dignity and honor. There are times when one or another gets a little shaky, but overall I was very moved by how they handled what was coming, of course the war was a year or so in the past so they had had time to work through their feelings of disbelief and anger. Slowly the cities of the southern hemisphere are blacked out by radiation poisoning and eventually the sickness arrives and the last surviving people on earth ready themselves for the end.

In Nevil Shute’s On the Beach, the world ends with a whimper not a bang, but this was nevertheless a shocking and terrifying read. I can imagine that this book had a powerful impact when it was released in the early 1960’s during the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis and such a future seemed possible. The author’s vision of a kinder, gentler end of life struck a cord with me, but sadly, I fear that people in today’s world of terrorism, religious intolerance and partisan politics would not go with so quietly or with such nobility. ( )
7 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 6, 2015 |

Nevil Shuteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Gathered on this beach of the tumid river...

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

--T.S. Eliot
Lieutenant Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy woke soon after dawn.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345311485, Mass Market Paperback)

"The most shocking fiction I have read in years. What is shocking about it is both the idea and the sheer imaginative brilliance with which Mr. Shute brings it off."
THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
They are the last generation, the innocent victims of an accidental war, living out their last days, making do with what they have, hoping for a miracle. As the deadly rain moves ever closer, the world as we know it winds toward an inevitable end....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:26 -0400)

A novel about the survivors of an atomic war, who face an inevitable end as radiation poisoning moves toward Australia from the North. The most shocking fiction I have read in years. What is shocking about it is both the idea and the sheer imaginative brilliance with which Mr. Shute brings it off. They are the last generation, the innocent victims of an accidental war, living out their last days, making do with what they have, hoping for a miracle.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,716,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible