Wicked: Witch & Curse by Nancy Holder

Wicked: Witch & Curse (edition 2008)

by Nancy Holder, Debbie Viguié

Other authors:Debbie Viguié
Info:Simon Pulse (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 672 pages
Tags:paperback

Witch & Curse by Nancy Holder

This is much darker than I remember it being the first time I read it. There's a lot of death, and it can be quite disturbing at times.

In spite of this, there was one instance where Michael Deveraux was saying a spell and ended up saying "Abracadabra," and I was just thinking in my head, "Really? Did he actually just say that?"

So it's got a mixture of too real, and not real enough. Going to move on from the series for now, since I found it to be much darker than I remember. I'll probably return to it at some point after the holidays. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Feb 17, 2019 |
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on October 2, 2012.

This book starts off immediately with action. Usually, I like a lot of background and setup, but diving into the action works well in this case. The metaphors and just the scenery, dreams, senses and feelings that the characters experience are all described really well. So well that I found myself cringing at certain parts including a lot of the sacrifice scenes.

That is one warning I would put out there to anyone who may pick up this book. There are a lot of scenes of sacrifices, including the drowning of a cat, so if you are sensitive to these kinds of scenes be forewarned. As a comment on the cat sacrifice scene in particular, I did find it disturbing, but I can also see why Holly felt she had to do it. Not saying that I agree with it, just that I understand why it was done.

I really liked the different levels of the exploration of magic in the book. There's the lighter side, where we see Amanda and Holly slowly trying to learn everything they can about white magic, and the innocent magic that Nicole does with her mom. Then there's the Deveraux family which is full of dark magic. It's nice to see both sides. I also enjoyed the fact that they took a more traditional route with some of the scenes with the rituals in that the coupling of a man and a woman creates the most powerful kind of magic. But, they were also open minded in that there is a gay couple in the book who can create extremely powerful magic together as well.

It's obvious to me anyway that Holly is the most powerful character, since she is so connected to her past (to the point of possession). I'm curious to see just how much she changes as she explores her power even further and as it grows.

I have a soft spot for books about witches, and Wicca, so I really enjoyed this. Plus there's a Charmed reference (pg 267 for anyone who's curious) so I had to like it. No, just kidding, but I'm really glad I did enjoy it so much because I had to read it in the span of a day and a half because I left it too long and it was due the next day at the library. Someone had already checked out the next book in the series otherwise I would have picked it up right away.

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a great book that explores different elements of magic and Wicca in an action packed story, with a little romance thrown in. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
I enjoy fantasy, especially fantasy rooted in lore and/or history. When I picked up this book I had high hopes. While reading a couple thoughts went through my mind:
Thought #1: Wow, they're going to actually talk about Wiccan/Pagan holidays and utilize some aspects of witch lore and history. Sweet.
Though#2: Hmm, this isn't quite what I expected. Maybe they're trying to be conscientious of the Wiccan community.
I quickly realized there are some major flaws in the first two installments of the series. Mainly, the writing style is simplistic which is both a pro and a con. Simple writing makes it an easy read, especially for younger audiences, people just entering the fantasy genre, or even people who do not like to read often. That being said, it was too simplistic in my mind. There was something too casual about the storytelling and I found it hard to believe this is a series done by well established authors. There were moments in the books that were well done and immersive, even making me tear up a little, but overall it felt a bit lazy and half-assed. Originally, I thought perhaps the authors struggled with worry over offending Wiccan and Pagan communities and that left them limited and in a position of self censorship. I realized as the story went on that this was not the case.
There is very little character development and relationships between characters are barely established. Characters are introduced with few mediocre and stereotypical sentences (especially for physical descriptions) before the authors state their role and then you are to accept it at face value and move on. I also had a large problem with how weak the women are portrayed. This is an aspect of the series I am hoping to see change for the better, hoping there will be growth but with two installments completed it is a very slow process of growth, if any. The "magnetic attraction" between Holly and the boy she barely knows is much too forced and I found myself growing more and more irritated; this occurred with the platonic friendships, as well. The lack of communication and development between the characters was absolutely amazing, in my opinion.
As for the plot of Witch and Curse, they were very self evident from the titles and somewhat meh in their execution. Some moments were a bit cliche and stereotypical: monsters, magic in colors, ghosts and even mentions of wands but I think it was just the way it was written. They were not BAD but they were not as good as other fantasy books I have read. It so far has been like a retelling of Romeo and Juliet, just with magic and lackluster writing. For someone new to fantasy or even that is not interested much in reading but wants to try something fun, this is very low on my list of recommendations. I WILL finish this series out of pure stubbornness and the fact all the books were given to me but (even considering the years for these two books are 2002 and 2003) I don't see exactly how these were bestsellers. ( )
  Anna0_0 | Jan 5, 2018 |
  Anna0_0 | Jan 5, 2018 |
I have had this book on my shelves probably since 2009, I finally decided it was time to read it and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

I really liked the first book, Witch. I was having a lot of fun reading it and I was enjoying it more than I expected to. It’s not the best story, but sometimes you just need some older YA paranormal in your life. Especially since that is pretty much where I started when I first got into reading.

The second book, Curse, unfortunately wasn’t as good. I was very disappointed and even got angry at one point. If you are like me and you love animals, either stay away from this series or just be prepared. Both Witch & Curse have animal sacrifices, but the second book is a bit worse. It made me so angry I almost didn’t finish the book. However, I was so close to the end, and I still have the rest of the series on my shelf, so I picked it back up and finished it.

Since I did I enjoy the first part, I will be continuing on with the series. Hopefully it gets better. Although I am really disliking Holly, so I don’t know how well this is going to go. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Jul 6, 2017 |

Nancy Holderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holder, NancyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141697119X, Paperback)

Holly Cathers's world shatters when her parents are killed in a terrible accident. Wrenched from her home in San Francisco, she is sent to Seattle to live with her relatives, Aunt Marie-Claire and her twin cousins, Amanda and Nicole.

In her new home, Holly's sorrow and grief soon give way to bewilderment at the strange incidents going on around her. Such as how any wish she whispers to her cat seems to come true. Or the way a friend is injured after a freak attack from a vicious falcon. And there's the undeniable, magnetic attraction to a boy Holly barely knows.

Holly, Amanda, and Nicole are about to be launced into a dark legacy of witches, secrets, and alliances, where ancient magics yield dangerous results. The girls will assume their roles in an intergenerational feud beyond their wildest imaginations...and in doing so, will attempt to fulfill their shared destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:31 -0400)

"Holly, Amanda, and Nicole are about to be launched into a dark legacy of witches, secrets, and alliances, where ancient magics yield dangerous results. The girls will assume their roles in an intergenerational feud beyond their wildest imaginations... and in doing so, will attempt to fulfill their shared destiny"--Cover verso.… (more)

Nancy Holder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible