Alpha Rising by G.L. Douglas

Alpha Rising

by G.L. Douglas

A failed space rescue mission lands astronaut Bach Turner in a beleaguered future world where history repeats itself, future events cast shadows, and abduction, deceit, seduction and hedonism fuel an allegorical battle of good and evil. With no way out short of blind faith and the ultimate weapon, his mind, Turner embarks on a final mission that fulfills prophecy.… (more)

This did not fulfill my expectations and to be honest I stopped reading it. I stopped reading it because I realized how similar this was to the Bible's Noah's Ark story and just don't want my science fiction mixed with religion.It was told in third person which is common.It was not as good as other books in the genre. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Aug 28, 2019 |
This book is totally different from anything I've ever read before. It caught my attention on page one, and the story was so intriguing that it has come to mind over and over again. I will read it several more times. There is so much to be learned while enjoying this great story.

Two astronauts Bach and Faith (she wears a gold cross necklace that becomes very important as the story goes along) are sent to find and rescue four others lost in space. They find them, but the six don't make it back to Earth. They crash on a strange moon-like planet. Faith dies, and four others are abducted by evil aliens. Faith's necklace is taken by one of the aliens.

Bach is rescued by an elderly genius and his daughter. They take him to what used to be a highly advanced future world, but is now in a state of decay due to an evil influence.

Bach is dazzled by the scientific advances, but his main focus is trying to figure out how to rescue his crewmates (one is his fiancee) from the evil Specter, who plays on emotions and uses hedonistic means to attract followers, and his army called Rooks (Rulers of other kingdoms) who occupy the continent of Ulwor (the Ultimate World).

After Bach learns that many are deceivers, he doesn't know if he is in good hands or not. He trusts a few and joins them in their weekly gathering on Mount Hope where the Creator's presence comes as a blinding tunnel of light from infinity. The Creator speaks to him and gives him a command.

I don't want to give away the whole story, but Bach carries out several commands from the Creator and it takes him on an astral search mission, through the planets in this zone of space, in search of those displaying a sacred icon. They will not know that they have it, but will understand it's meaning along the way.

The people and things Bach finds on the planets are my favorite part of the book. Old discoveries and new discoveries, and so much to learn and think about that I read until 4 a.m. one night!

Even though Bach tried his best, there comes a crisis and he realizes that he didn't get the Creator's final instruction.

My heart was racing, and I couldn't wait to find out how they'd get out of a cataclysmic situation.

The ending is awesome! ( )
  Justin02 | Oct 9, 2008 |

May 25, 2020. NASA dispatches Commander Bachman "Bach" Turner on a perilous mission to find four astronauts lost beyond Earth's solar system. Minutes after rescue, the edge of a lethal, swirling cloud of galactic plasma draws the earthship deeper into space and deposits it on a strange planet.

Bach's troubles multiply when his crewmates are abducted by an evil army of Rooks--Rulers of other kingdoms. His rescue by Altemus Rider, the patriarch of a clan of geniuses, and his daughter Star, lands Bach in a beleaguered future world where he delves into alien technology with a single-minded goal: find his crewmates and return to Earth.

In this unstable zone of space, time is running out on all life forms, children are missing, few can be trusted, and Bach's DNA is of particular interest to one alien. When he learns of a tunnel of light on a distant mount he cautiously ventures in. There, the Creator delivers the first of several instructions: search this weird, inverted galaxy for those with a sacred icon.

After a race against time through lands of future and past with Star at his side, Bach's harrowing, prophetic journey takes an unthinkable turn when deep space rumbles a forewarning--and he realizes he didn't get the Creator's final instruction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,560,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible