An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels) (edition 2008)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:Marensr
Title:An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Mystery, Interwar, ER, Read, 2009

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear

2008, MacMillan Audio, Read by Orlagh Cassidy

Book Description: adapted from Audible.com
In the midst of the hop-picking season in the village of Heronsdene, Kent, Maisie Dobbs undertakes an assignment from James Compton, son of her long-time supporter, Lady Rowan Compton, to look into aspects of a land purchase on his behalf. She quickly discovers the locals’ prejudices against the seasonal workers from London and the traveling gypsies who flock to Kent at harvest-time. As she is pulled deeper into the investigation, Maisie is increasingly intrigued by the peculiar mood of melancholy and secrecy that shrouds the village, a feeling that is inflamed by the villagers' fear – but just what has caused them to be so afraid?

My Review:
Another great Maisie Dobbs installment. I loved the setting of this one: hop-picking season in a small village – as well as the varied groups of characters. Particularly, I enjoyed reading about the gypsies: the elderly Bula who becomes an ally to Maisie, and teaches her the skill of divining – and I found the customs of the larger group very interesting. Maisie puts her psychology degree to good use here, uncovering the mysterious melancholy and fear that permeates Heronsdene. Great story! ( )
  lit_chick | Jul 13, 2016 |
I love the Maisie Hobbs series. In this one the setting is Kent in the early 1930's. Maisie is finding enough work to keep her and Billie busy during the beginning of the Great Depression. Maisie is asked by an old friend to investigate a small village in Kent during the fall hop picking season. Her friend is considering a considerable business expense and he wants Maisie to take the pulse of the village. There have been an number of break-ins and fires in the village since the war ended about 11 years ago. During the war a large number of young men who were lost in the trenches, and a zeppelin destroyed a thriving business in the village, as well as the Dutch family who ran the bakery which was bombed. Maisie uncovers a lot of long-buried secrets with her dogged investigation. We see life in a small Kent village in the early 1930's, during the busy hop picking season, as well as the people who come to help with the harvest, including gypsy clans. I love Ms. Winspear's knowledge of her historical time, and the character development of all the characters, including the secondary characters. This is what sets such a believable stage for Ms. Winspear's stories. ( )
  Romonko | Jun 3, 2016 |
This author is improving, much fewer dull bits although I still find the clothes descriptions boring. Of all the Maisie Dobbs books so far, I enjoyed this one the most. It was only towards the very end that I started to see the "solution" and 1 twist I didn't see at all. Not bad at all. ( )
  infjsarah | May 15, 2016 |
I really like the Maisie Dobbs mystery series. This was a good entry, the fifth in the series. It focuses on the hop-picking season and the gypsies. The mystery was good and I love the time period, post-WWI. It's about a decade after the end of the war now, but the country is still dealing with the ramifications of the war and so is Maisie. Maisie has laid many of her ghosts to rest now and isn't as much of a mess as she was in the last book. I liked this better. As always, I also enjoy the clothes descriptions.

I find these work very well on audio and like the reader, Orlagh Cassidy. ( )
  japaul22 | Jan 26, 2016 |

Maisie is on a case for James Compston (her mentor's son) who is about to purchase a large estate & brickworks....

While investigating the estate & brickworks during Hops picking season; a fire breaks out in the pub Maisie's staying in and thanks to her quick thinking the pub is saved before any major damage is done.... The fire is obviously arson (Maisie sees someone running from the fire) but the publican adamantly insists he accidentally set the fire and insists that Maisie forget that it happened......

The fire is not the first to have occurred in the village... for years since the war, in fact every year on the same date a fire has been set..... The date of the Zeppelin raid when the smithy was bombed and a local family was killed in a mysterious fire......

Maisie is drawn to the Hops pickers, one of the families is that of her assistant, Billy Beal. Billy's wife has been spending time w/ the Romas, who are also picking, as they have a baby girl who helps her fulfill the loss of her baby daughter. When Maisie encounters the Romas, whose matriarch has seen her coming and knows that Maisie is the one who can heal the scars of the past, the past begins to unravel and the healing begins.

There was so very much going on, here, there, everywhere that it was difficult to keep the story all together. I did not like the characters, the back story was tragic and ugly..... In fact I found this to be a bit boring and I just wanted to find out what was going on...... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Winspear vividly evokes England between the wars, when the old order crumbled and new horizons beckoned working women like her appealing heroine. Even if a few of the plot twists prove predictable, this jaunt back to a bygone era is as satisfying as a spin in Maisie's MG.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

"Of all the gifts that people can give to one another, the most meaningful and long lasting are strong but simple love and the gift of story."
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What Is Enough
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

-Nicolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

-Josh Billings, U.S. humorist(1818-1885)

Dedicated to my parents,
Albert and Joyce Winspear
With All My Love
The old woman rested on the steps of her home, a caravan set apart from those of the rest of her family, her tribe.
If it was Time's task to diminish the yearning for one who has passed, then Time had done a poor job, for Maisie could still see the ache of loneliness for his wife's company reflected in her father's eyed.
The heart doesn't know chronos time, Maisie.

With the country in the grip of economic malaise, Maisie Dobbs is relieved to accept an apparently straightforward assignment to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a picturesque village in Kent during the hop-picking season, but beneath its pastoral surface she finds evidence that something is amiss. Mysterious fires erupt in the village with alarming regularity, and a series of petty crimes suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and ultimately Maisie must draw on her finely-honed skills of detection to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.

Maisie is asked to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a village in Kent during the hop picking season. Mysterious fires erupt in the village and a series of petty crime suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and Maisie needs to use her skills to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

An Incomplete Revenge (A Maisie Dobbs Novel) by Jacqueline Winspear was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible