An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels) (edition 2008)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Title:An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Mystery, Interwar, ER, Read, 2009

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear

I found this book as satisfying on a deeper level within me as the others, but I like it best of the four I've read so far. Simon dies in this one, so Maisie is freed, plus her investigation into the estate of a wealthy, arrogant heir in Kent rings so true. The character development and their collective guilt over actions 15 years ago make sense and are sooo well written. I may read this one again. It makes me think of the power that Hitler had over the German people. ( )
  bereanna | Oct 3, 2015 |
Another excellent entry in this fine series. A business analysis foray into a quiet Kent village turns into another multidimensional mystery with its roots in WW1. Hard times, with many out of work and disabled war veterans are still the paramount economic issues for 30s England. Hop-picking on farms generates serious conflicts among the locals, people from the "smoke", London and the Rom. Maisie patiently threads her way through this rural morass to a painful but essential confrontation between these disparate and desperate groups. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 31, 2015 |
A Kent Village has secrets, secrets that draw Maisie Dobbs in via Billy Beale who is hopping down there. She discovers that there are more things, more strangeness in this town, secrets that people are willing to kill to keep.

Full of twists that are somewhat predictable but the trip was interesting, I liked Maisie and her progress. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |
Maisie Dobbs is hired by James to get background information on Heronsdene, where he is considering buying property, which has had a spate of petty thefts and fires going back many years. It is an area where hop picking is done at that time and the gypies and Londoners journey in for two weeks of employment. Billy Beale and his family have done so for several years and will do so again this year, helping Maisie and adding to the mix of personalities and problems.

This mystery was more gripping and convoluted than the last and, though I figured much of it out in advance, it was very entertaining and fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Sep 22, 2014 |
SPOILER. As I read further and further into the Maisie Dobbs series, it's becoming clear that WWI on the British home front is the foundation of the books. And this reminds me of the "Foyle's War" TV series. Both of these series use WWI and WWII, respectively, to provide a background for forays into moral dilemmas. And at the same time give credence to the saying "There's nothing new under the sun." The Roma people involved in this story, with their history told up front: have things really changed as of 2014?

Considering the time period of the series now into the 1930s, I am fascinated by the characters' absorption and faith in body language, need of meditation, mind-mapping method of work; all alongside an almost, but not quite unbelievable, use of intuitive energy purported to exude from physical surroundings involving the case at hand. Each book in the series that I've read so far, finds Maisie moving up to another plateau through positive closure- in this case, the death of Simon. Her sense of self-honesty will never allow her to actually "close" Simon, only an acceptance to move forward without guilt and to remember Simon with joy.

The author's use of an Epilogue is well-received by this reader. It brings the story full-circle, not in terms of a conclusion but more as a commentary on past and future events. I was especially happy for Jook. I still have to investigate Maisie's little MG because she never seems to have to stop for gas.... ( )
  HugoReads | Jul 6, 2014 |
Winspear vividly evokes England between the wars, when the old order crumbled and new horizons beckoned working women like her appealing heroine. Even if a few of the plot twists prove predictable, this jaunt back to a bygone era is as satisfying as a spin in Maisie's MG.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly
"Of all the gifts that people can give to one another, the most meaningful and long lasting are strong but simple love and the gift of story."
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What Is Enough
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

-Nicolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

-Josh Billings, U.S. humorist(1818-1885)

Dedicated to my parents,
Albert and Joyce Winspear
With All My Love
The old woman rested on the steps of her home, a caravan set apart from those of the rest of her family, her tribe.

With the country in the grip of economic malaise, Maisie Dobbs is relieved to accept an apparently straightforward assignment to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a picturesque village in Kent during the hop-picking season, but beneath its pastoral surface she finds evidence that something is amiss. Mysterious fires erupt in the village with alarming regularity, and a series of petty crimes suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and ultimately Maisie must draw on her finely-honed skills of detection to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.

Maisie is asked to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a village in Kent during the hop picking season. Mysterious fires erupt in the village and a series of petty crime suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and Maisie needs to use her skills to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

An Incomplete Revenge (A Maisie Dobbs Novel) by Jacqueline Winspear was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible