An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels) (edition 2008)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:Marensr
Title:An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Mystery, Interwar, ER, Read, 2009

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear

Recently added byRomonko, msjudy, JMlibrarian, lvha, agrifel, flashflood42, LynnPattern, private library, infjsarah, sue222

This author is improving, much fewer dull bits although I still find the clothes descriptions boring. Of all the Maisie Dobbs books so far, I enjoyed this one the most. It was only towards the very end that I started to see the "solution" and 1 twist I didn't see at all. Not bad at all. ( )
  infjsarah | May 15, 2016 |
I really like the Maisie Dobbs mystery series. This was a good entry, the fifth in the series. It focuses on the hop-picking season and the gypsies. The mystery was good and I love the time period, post-WWI. It's about a decade after the end of the war now, but the country is still dealing with the ramifications of the war and so is Maisie. Maisie has laid many of her ghosts to rest now and isn't as much of a mess as she was in the last book. I liked this better. As always, I also enjoy the clothes descriptions.

I find these work very well on audio and like the reader, Orlagh Cassidy. ( )
  japaul22 | Jan 26, 2016 |

Maisie is on a case for James Compston (her mentor's son) who is about to purchase a large estate & brickworks....

While investigating the estate & brickworks during Hops picking season; a fire breaks out in the pub Maisie's staying in and thanks to her quick thinking the pub is saved before any major damage is done.... The fire is obviously arson (Maisie sees someone running from the fire) but the publican adamantly insists he accidentally set the fire and insists that Maisie forget that it happened......

The fire is not the first to have occurred in the village... for years since the war, in fact every year on the same date a fire has been set..... The date of the Zeppelin raid when the smithy was bombed and a local family was killed in a mysterious fire......

Maisie is drawn to the Hops pickers, one of the families is that of her assistant, Billy Beal. Billy's wife has been spending time w/ the Romas, who are also picking, as they have a baby girl who helps her fulfill the loss of her baby daughter. When Maisie encounters the Romas, whose matriarch has seen her coming and knows that Maisie is the one who can heal the scars of the past, the past begins to unravel and the healing begins.

There was so very much going on, here, there, everywhere that it was difficult to keep the story all together. I did not like the characters, the back story was tragic and ugly..... In fact I found this to be a bit boring and I just wanted to find out what was going on...... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Psychogist/Investigator Maisie Dobbs has been hired by James Compton, the son of Maisie's benefactors, to investigate a series of crimes in a small village in Kent where Mr. Compton hopes to purchase some property. Although the incidents have been minor, including petty theft and small arson fires, Maisie feels there is a pattern to the crimes, most especially the fires. The village, Heronsdene, is quaint with a large scale hops harvest in progress as Maisie arrives. Her questions to the villagers are not well received and she can sense there is a secret being held by many of the townsfolk. The fires are never reported to the police and the thefts are blamed on the influx of Londoners and gypsies who have come to work the hop gardens. Maisie finds herself drawn to the gypsy camp where she befriends the gypsy matriarch, Aunt Beulah, who knows that there is a bit of gypsy blood in Maisie's ancestry. A devastating zeppelin bomb drop several years earlier during WWI killed a local family but so many of the young men from the town died in overseas battles that the local tragedy barely registered with the town. Maisie knows there is much more to the story and she is determined to find out the truth.

This is the fifth book in the Maisie Dobbs series and I am still enjoying them immensely. She is a great character with a lot of bravado and intuition who is often unable to deal successfully with her own emotions, especially when it comes to her lost love, Simon. If you're looking for another great series to read, Maisie Dobbs would be a great one to get into.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
I found this book as satisfying on a deeper level within me as the others, but I like it best of the four I've read so far. Simon dies in this one, so Maisie is freed, plus her investigation into the estate of a wealthy, arrogant heir in Kent rings so true. The character development and their collective guilt over actions 15 years ago make sense and are sooo well written. I may read this one again. It makes me think of the power that Hitler had over the German people. ( )
  bereanna | Oct 3, 2015 |
Winspear vividly evokes England between the wars, when the old order crumbled and new horizons beckoned working women like her appealing heroine. Even if a few of the plot twists prove predictable, this jaunt back to a bygone era is as satisfying as a spin in Maisie's MG.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

"Of all the gifts that people can give to one another, the most meaningful and long lasting are strong but simple love and the gift of story."
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What Is Enough
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

-Nicolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

-Josh Billings, U.S. humorist(1818-1885)

Dedicated to my parents,
Albert and Joyce Winspear
With All My Love
The old woman rested on the steps of her home, a caravan set apart from those of the rest of her family, her tribe.

With the country in the grip of economic malaise, Maisie Dobbs is relieved to accept an apparently straightforward assignment to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a picturesque village in Kent during the hop-picking season, but beneath its pastoral surface she finds evidence that something is amiss. Mysterious fires erupt in the village with alarming regularity, and a series of petty crimes suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and ultimately Maisie must draw on her finely-honed skills of detection to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.

Maisie is asked to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a village in Kent during the hop picking season. Mysterious fires erupt in the village and a series of petty crime suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and Maisie needs to use her skills to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

An Incomplete Revenge (A Maisie Dobbs Novel) by Jacqueline Winspear was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,005,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible