An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels) (edition 2008)

by Jacqueline Winspear

954None9,072 (3.94)66
Member:Marensr
Title:An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Fiction, British, Mystery, Interwar, ER, Read, 2009

An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear

Although not much of a mystery reader, I have enjoyed this series to date because of it's focus on issues that arose from the First World War. In this installment, British psychologist and detective Maisie Dobbs helps a friend investigate a potential business transaction, but in the process becomes involved with a mystery involving a traumatized town, an arsonist, and a caravan of gypsies. Because the war was only tangentially involved, I found this a less memorable read. There is a significant development in Maisie's personal life, but I found it less affecting and perhaps less well written. ( )
  labfs39 | Mar 22, 2014 |
An Incomplete Revenge is the fifth book in Winspear's series following the life of Maisie Dobbs. This was a very enjoyable book which I was able to read quickly. Here she is investigating a problem for James Compton who is negotiating the purchase of some land in Kent as much for the brickworks situated on it as for the land itself. There has been alot lot of petty crime in the area as well as a number of unexplained fires that may be the work of an arsonist. This is hop picking season and as Billy will be there for his "vacation" Maisie doesn't forsee any problem with completing a timely report on the situation. But things are more complicated than expected and we also get a bit more back story for Maisie.

I really liked An Incomplete Revenge and will be continuing the series at some point.
  hailelib | Mar 13, 2014 |
another Maisie Dobbs. gypsies very good ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Investigator Maisie Dobbs takes a job investigating a potential land purchase. Her employer is wary because a series of fires have plagued the area. The investigation leads her to a village in Kent during hop-picking season. A band of gypsies come to the area during harvest time. She quickly sees that there is something that isn’t quite right about the group of gypsies. Another aspect that figures prominently in the story is when a zeppelin raid during the war wiped out a family.
This was a largely unimpressive novel. I had never read any of the previous books featuring Maisie Dobbs, and after reading this one, I’m not rushing out to read any more of them. The mystery associated with this story was not all that compelling. Neither were the characters. The plot was slow moving and never got that interesting. There was not a whole lot to like about this book. I would suggest skipping it.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Dec 1, 2013 |
I liked this book. I thought it ended well and I enjoyed the character development. I think it is interesting that both [a:Jacqueline Winspear|5023|Jacqueline Winspear|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1272389408p2/5023.jpg] and [a:Deanna Raybourn|156327|Deanna Raybourn|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1364498528p2/156327.jpg] both use Roma or gypsies in their work. I think it is interesting that Brisbane and Maisie both have Roma blood. I think it might be useful to read up on the Roma in Britain at the time of both series.

I am also pleased that Orlagh Cassidy has stopped pronouncing Maurice Blanche's first name "Morris" and has begun to pronounce it "More-rees". I don't know how it is actually pronounced int he UK, but "Morris" sounds very un-French. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
Winspear vividly evokes England between the wars, when the old order crumbled and new horizons beckoned working women like her appealing heroine. Even if a few of the plot twists prove predictable, this jaunt back to a bygone era is as satisfying as a spin in Maisie's MG.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

"Of all the gifts that people can give to one another, the most meaningful and long lasting are strong but simple love and the gift of story."
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes, Ph.D., The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What Is Enough
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.

-Nicolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.

-Josh Billings, U.S. humorist(1818-1885)

Dedicated to my parents,
Albert and Joyce Winspear
With All My Love
The old woman rested on the steps of her home, a caravan set apart from those of the rest of her family, her tribe.

With the country in the grip of economic malaise, Maisie Dobbs is relieved to accept an apparently straightforward assignment to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a picturesque village in Kent during the hop-picking season, but beneath its pastoral surface she finds evidence that something is amiss. Mysterious fires erupt in the village with alarming regularity, and a series of petty crimes suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and ultimately Maisie must draw on her finely-honed skills of detection to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.

Maisie is asked to investigate a potential land purchase. Her inquiries take her to a village in Kent during the hop picking season. Mysterious fires erupt in the village and a series of petty crime suggest a darker criminal element at work. A peculiar secrecy shrouds the village, and Maisie needs to use her skills to solve one of her most intriguing cases yet.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

An Incomplete Revenge (A Maisie Dobbs Novel) by Jacqueline Winspear was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,408,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible