The New York trilogy by Paul Auster

The New York trilogy (edition 1990)

by Paul Auster

City of glass: A writer of a detective stories becomes embroiled in a complex and puzzling series of events, beginning with a call from a stranger in the middle of the night asking for the author. Ghosts: Introduces Blue, a private dectective hired to watch a man named Black, who, as he becomes intermeshed into a haunting and claustrophobic game of hide-and-seek is lured into the very trap he created. The locked room: The nameless hero journeys into the unkown as he attemps to reconstruct the past which he has experienced almost as a dream.… (more)
Member:taramasalata
Title:The New York trilogy
Authors:Paul Auster
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1990), Reprint, Paperback

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (105)  Spanish (10)  Italian (6)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (134)
This book is comprised of 3 short stories/novellas, all based in New York, and with some vague connections. Although I admired the craft of them they also left me a bit cold. They play with genre expectations and the 4th wall and have some funny moments. I guess they just also felt a bit too concerned with this so the plot and characters were an afterthought. Having said that they were a surprising amount of fun to discuss at my book group, and I came out of that realising I'd enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I had. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Feb 4, 2020 |
Usually the term TRILOGY means the continuation of a certain plot or the lives of certain characters for good or ill depending on whether the author actually has more story to unfold. Often it may be justified to toss around the accusation of a “money grab”. Sometimes however something greater is afoot. My favorite trilogy is John Dos Passos’ USA TRILOGY. Dos Passos mixes experimental techniques (interviews, song lyrics, headlines, stream of consciousness, character biographies—and this was in the ‘30’s) with straight narrative to achieve a greater impact than if he had carried along down a straight line. I have shambled through many trilogies since reading Dos Passos 25 years ago, but nothing came close to creating the same power and buzz for me until I read Paul Auster’s NEW YORK TRILOGY. Auster too seems to be creating his own techniques to tell his tale. Each of the three books is loosely structured as a detective story. Very quickly, the mystery changes…and then changes again. What seems straightforward slowly bends in different directions. You could read each novel and argue that you have read the same thing three times…or make the opposite argument as well. When I think of the books I see three giant arrows pointing toward an empty center. Not empty, but something I can’t yet see. Each book is from the point of view of it’s detective. They proceed logically but as what they seek starts to shift, so does their logical footing. Each book starts as a lark, but soon shudders into darkness. Is this darkness the absence of love…or the penalty of imposing order on chaos…or even the personal hell awaiting writers facing blank sheets? Auster’s creation is marvelous. It seems kindred to Dos Passos and at the same time existing in a world we haven’t caught up to yet. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |
I've never read anything quite like it. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
To sum up the Trilogy in one word, my word would be weird. I first thought that the three books didn't have much in common other than the setting, but the final twenty pages ties things together although I think it is pretty tenuous. A fun read nonetheless. ( )
  charlie68 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Bewildering, frustrating to follow the protagonists descent into their blind madness and obsession ( )
  angelinahue | Feb 23, 2019 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sellent Arús, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,369,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible