The New York Trilogy in 3 Volumes: City of…

The New York Trilogy in 3 Volumes: City of Glass; Ghosts; The Locked Room… (edition 1986)

by Paul Auster

Member:dina
Title:The New York Trilogy in 3 Volumes: City of Glass; Ghosts; The Locked Room (Penguin)
Authors:Paul Auster
Info:Penguin Books (1986), Paperback

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (98)  Spanish (10)  Italian (6)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (125)
Post modern detective stories. Paul Auster's trilogy received the most votes in an informal poll of 79 bloggers representing the best of American fiction in the last 25 years (see The New Canon, The Best Fiction since 1985). It has international fame as well and won the Prix France Culture de Litterateur Esrangere. This is three interlocking short stories with the characters dealing with postmodern issues regarding writing. But it is also a detective story, sort of. We have a writer of detective stories who takes on the personna of a real private investigator that came about by a wrong number phone call asking for Paul Auster in the first story City of Glass. (my favorite). In this one, even Paul Auster's wife "Siri" and her Minnesota/Norwegian roots and his son Danial show up in the story. The middle story is ghosts and we have a Mr Black, Mr. White, and a Mr Blue. This again examines writing but is it also looking at identify and morals? Black and white being the stance that it is either good or bad and Black and blue, does this portray the self identity taking a beating? Throughout there is a lot of dialogue about writing, the process of writing and also reading. The trilogy has several references to American authors. In 'City of Glass' is William Wilson, also the name of an Edgar Allan Poe short story about doppelgängers. In 'The Locked Room', the narrator says his name is Herman Melville, and Fanshawe mimics the opening line of 'Moby Dick' in his letter starting "Call me Redburn." Thoreau's 'Walden' is a major part of 'Ghosts' and Thoreau mentioned in 'City of Glass', and Dennis Walden in 'The Locked Room'.
  Kristelh | Jun 9, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Feb 11, 2011):
- This book is a collection of three novellas written in 1985-86. The style in each is similar - detective fiction, with a noirish feel. The common theme/subject matter is identity, or the murkiness of it...what I like most is that Auster does a great job of moving the narrative forward.
- In "City of Glass", a man, Quinn, ..receives a series of telephone calls at his apartment, from a man trying to reach Paul Auster, apparently a private detective...I liked this one the most. Engrossing and I'll likely read it again.
- In "Ghosts", well, I've gotta lay it out for you (because it's just too tempting): Blue, whose mentor was Brown, is hired by White to spy on Black. Got that? And he rents a room for his clandestine work on Orange Street.
- "The Locked Room", the final story, finds Fanshawe, the eccentric boyhood friend of our faceless narrator, long missing and presumed dead...Fanshawe has instructed the narrator to be his literary executor, and in handling these affairs he finds that Fanshawe has left behind some superb writing. As these works are published posthumously to great acclaim, rumors run that Fanshawe is a hoax.. To wipe away suspicion, the narrator is authorized to write a biography..., but soon our narrator receives a shocking letter which transforms our story... ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Jan 24, 2018 |
I'm not sure what to think of this book. It was vastly different from what I was expecting. It was a lot more serious, and depressing at times, than I had expected. There were some really lovely lines, but overall it just didn't quite do it for me. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
I loved the ideas, but like a lot of pomo, this thing suffers from not engaging me on a deeply human level... or not convincing me to feel what the author is trying to make me feel. Like, it had a lot of razzle-dazzle (really fun pomo ideas), but not substantial pay off. I loved the Don Quixote parts in City of Glass, and I loved the first half of The Locked Room... ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Città di vetro: **-
Fantasmi: ***-
La stanza chiusa: *** 3/4 ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sellent Arús, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Da Alexandra
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

Paul Auster's signature work, The New York Trilogy, consists of three interlocking novels: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room—haunting and mysterious tales that move at the breathless pace of a thriller.

City of Glass

As a result of a strange phone call in the middle of the night, Quinn, a writer of detective stories, becomes enmeshed in a case more puzzling than any he might hace written

Ghosts

Blue, a student of Brown, has been hired to spy on Black. From a window of a rented house on Orange street, Blue stalks his subject, who is staring out of his window

The Locked Room

Fanshawe has disappeared, leaving behind his wife and baby and a cache of novels, plays, and poems. What happened?

First time in Penguin Classics A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps, rough front, and luxurious packaging Features an introduction from Luc Sante and incredible cover illustrations by Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic artist Art Spiegelman, creator of Maus and In the Shadow of No Towers

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

City of glass: A writer of a detective stories becomes embroiled in a complex and puzzling series of events, beginning with a call from a stranger in the middle of the night asking for the author. Ghosts: Introduces Blue, a private detective hired to watch a man named Black, who, as he becomes intermeshed into a haunting and claustrophobic game of hide-and-seek is lured into the very trap he created. The locked room: The nameless hero journeys into the unknown as he attempts to reconstruct the past which he has experienced almost as a dream.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,650,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible