The New York Triology by Paul Auster

The New York Triology (1987)

by Paul Auster

Member:Rigour
Title:The New York Triology
Authors:Paul Auster
Info:
Rating:****1/2

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster (1987)

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (alzo)
    The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster (caflores)
    Invisible by Paul Auster (ccf)
    Enormous Changes at the Last Minute: Stories by Grace Paley (claudiamesc)
    claudiamesc: E' stato anche tradotto in italiano: freschi, diretti, energici racconti ambientati a New York... per chi non si è entusiasmato con Auster, ma vuole farsi altri due passi in città.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: Two books that expand the scope of detective fiction beyond the genre's traditional concerns and constraints, one existentially and one sociopolitically.

English (90)  Spanish (10)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (117)
Hmm - either I just didn't get this book or it's a good example of the Emperor's New Clothes.

I liked some of the themes of language and identity but I felt the characters' reactions to certain situations quite unbelievable.

How disfunctional does a person have to be to loose their sense of identity? Maybe it's a symptom of life in a metropolis - that I can never hope to understand.
At best I felt some vague concern for the characters, at worst I thought they were pathetic.
There were intriguing attempts to tie the 3 stories together but not enough to redeem the whole book.

An interesting book - thought provoking enough but I can't really say I enjoyed it.
It left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
These books have a way of working into your thoughts and then into your blood and finally it's as if you taste the ideas with every breath. The antidote is to worry about the approach to detective work, but we all wind up tracing our own paths, and to inspect any or all of our choices is to force ourselves to deal with the many unseemly things we do, most of which leave a bad taste in our mouth.

Like this review, methinks.

Enjoy. ( )
  mickeyhadick | Feb 4, 2016 |
Auster is a magician full of mysterious characters and writing that keeps you on your toes. Poetic and full of wonder...[in progress] ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Read the opening chapter of Auster's The New York Trilogy, and instantly know whether you'll enjoy the pages that are to follow. It's such an daring premise that I was enthralled from the start, but some may find it absurd, and too clever by half. (For one, the protagonist's very real reaction grounded it for me.) Either way, it sets up the ground rules for the book, letting you know just how far Auster is willing to go in exploring and contorting the familiar detective story. Each of the three stories starts from a central premise—trailing or searching for someone, and trying to figure them out—and strikes outward in a different direction. Each is strange in their own way.

In doing so, the novel wears its influences on its sleeve. Borges would be proud of how trailing someone for months means becoming them, almost like Pierre Menard's Don Quixote. Kundera would appreciate the twinning of literature and life in the opening piece. And of course, Pynchon would love the constellation of details in each story, each unclear if or how it relates to the whole, forming a parallel world of inference and supposition within the protagonist's mind. And of course, that last part is also reminiscent of Eco's semiotics. This multiplicity of influences makes the novel feel even more unreal, a strange sense of deja vu but without feeling like a copy. And this feeling is heightened by some of the works since that were clearly inspired by Auster's work, such as Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. (The clipped language and sexual undertones of the opening piece certainly point that way.)

Do the stories benefit from being grouped like this, or do they needlessly repeat each other? To put it more bluntly: are they best understood as a unified work? My instinct says yes, in the same way as The Lost Books of the Odyssey's stories work together to hint at different facets of some unencompassable whole. The three stories in the trilogy feel almost combinatorial, echoing each other as they echo themselves, looping inward and outward through the central mystery of trying to know someone else. In a way, they feel similar to oulipo's project: using a central restriction to enable an explosion of creativity down lesser-traveled paths. The overall effect is wonderful to read; I originally considered spacing out my reading sessions, but I'm glad I chose otherwise. ( )
  gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
Mystery novel meets modern existential angst. I managed to get through the first novel, but I won't bother with the rest. ( )
  baobab | Oct 6, 2015 |
Una llamada telefónica equivocada introduce a un escritor de novelas policiacas en una extraña historia de complejas relaciones paternofiliales y locura; un detective sigue a un hombre por un claustrofóbico universo urbano; la misteriosa desaparición de un amigo de la infancia confronta a un hombre con sus recuerdos. Tres novelas que proponen una relectura posmoderna del género policiaco y que supusieron la revelación de uno de los más interesantes novelistas de nuestro tiempo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, Joachim A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jääskeläinen, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sante, LucIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sirola, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Da Alexandra
It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
"For our words no longer correspond to the world. When things were whole, we felt confident that our words could express them. But little by little these things have broken apart, shattered, collapsed into chaos. And yet our words have remained the same. They have not adapted themselves to the new reality. Hence, every time we try to speak of what we see, we speak falsely, distorting the very thing we are trying to represent."

Paul Auster's signature work, The New York Trilogy, consists of three interlocking novels: City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room—haunting and mysterious tales that move at the breathless pace of a thriller.

City of Glass

As a result of a strange phone call in the middle of the night, Quinn, a writer of detective stories, becomes enmeshed in a case more puzzling than any he might hace written

Ghosts

Blue, a student of Brown, has been hired to spy on Black. From a window of a rented house on Orange street, Blue stalks his subject, who is staring out of his window

The Locked Room

Fanshawe has disappeared, leaving behind his wife and baby and a cache of novels, plays, and poems. What happened?

First time in Penguin Classics A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps, rough front, and luxurious packaging Features an introduction from Luc Sante and incredible cover illustrations by Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic artist Art Spiegelman, creator of Maus and In the Shadow of No Towers

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:07 -0400)

City of glass: A writer of a detective stories becomes embroiled in a complex and puzzling series of events, beginning with a call from a stranger in the middle of the night asking for the author. Ghosts: Introduces Blue, a private detective hired to watch a man named Black, who, as he becomes intermeshed into a haunting and claustrophobic game of hide-and-seek is lured into the very trap he created. The locked room: The nameless hero journeys into the unknown as he attempts to reconstruct the past which he has experienced almost as a dream.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,003,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible