The Delivery Man: A Novel by Joe McGinniss…

The Delivery Man: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Joe McGinniss Jr.

Member:wsickler
Title:The Delivery Man: A Novel
Authors:Joe McGinniss Jr.
Info:Grove/Atlantic, Black Cat (2008), Paperback, 278 pages
Tags:fiction, 2008

The Delivery Man: A Novel by Joe McGinniss Jr.

to get (45)

This was recommended via Bret Easton Ellis on Twitter. I can see why he likes it so much. It just seemed like Ellis fan fiction in terms of style, content etc. If I wanted to read a Bret Easton Ellis novel I would have bought the real thing.

There were some positive signs in the book. I will look out for other works by this author but he certainly needs to further develop his style. ( )
  rimbo90 | Mar 28, 2015 |
Did not like this book at all. Someone in Vegas gave me this book and I made the mistake of taking it. ( )
  askum | Feb 13, 2014 |
I hate Las Vegas so I'm not sure what convinced me to read this book in the first place. A depressing city, a depressing book and a depressing and frustrating ending to this book. The moral of this story: Las Vegas is okay to visit but don't live there.
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |
A novel set in Vegas, centered around high-school and college-age kids, all of whom are involved in drugs and prostitution: not something I would have picked up on my own. It definitely sucked me in though, and I was pulling for Chase to escape the whole way through. The writing is understated and clean. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Anyone who thinks this is "the real Las Vegas" doesn't actually live here. It's /a/ Las Vegas. (Except for when McGinniss gets some directions wrong; despite help from locals, a few typos seem to have wedged in. That, or else no one has ever pointed me to the secret tunnel making it so easy to flit back and forth from the Summerlin Parkway to Green Valley. And I *really* don't recommend trying to take Maryland down to Boulder Hwy from Flamingo. As for those "west side ghettos" - his characters are far too young to use that term of yesteryear. Nowadays the "west side" is areas like "The Lakes" - a swanky place, as featured in the book.)

Like the main character, I'm a high school teacher in LV, and yes, in my school I have taught at least one student who (I knew) was a prostitute and yes, many kids see summer school as almost inevitable. It's not a great place for teens if you don't choose your schools carefully. So, I won't pretend our town doesn't have a gritty side, and it was interesting (albeit unoriginal) to see someone tackle it in fiction. But, every city with this kind of population and population growth has a gritty side, so it's hardly worthy of the "OMG Kids in Las Vegas live like this!!?!!" hype that some would bestow on this novel that, street names and temperature aside, could have been set in Chicago or Baltimore. Kids who don't get their emotional needs met sometimes do stupid or dangerous things. It probably even happens in Iowa.

If I were going to be really nit-picky, I'd ask why a book published in 2008 goes on (and on) about Wet 'n Wild (but never mentions that it's been closed for several years now - which may have been significant to Chase) and also names the Stardust as the only casino for which Chase has chips that hasn't been imploded, when at time of publication it had been almost 18 months since we all said good-bye to that property. For that matter, why does Chase "discover" that his inherited chips are (almost) all for demolished casinos? Why didn't he or his mother cash in those chips before the casinos went out of business? They're locals; they would've had months of warning to do so. It's not like we Las Vegans are going to wake up, grab the newspaper, and suddenly call out, "Cripes. They blew up the Venetian last night. Who knew?"

But on to the actual writing. If you're into the stone-youth-wankery of Bret Easton Ellis, you might like this. If not, you might still like this, as it flows quickly and makes for a nice "beach book." None of the sex is too explicit (for better or for worse), which perhaps helps nudge this into the "literary" genre (as opposed to "dude lit"). Me, I didn't find any of the characters likable, but I respected that the author didn't (seem to) expect me to. They're all losers. (Really. And don't fool yourself into thinking that makes them more "real." If you believe that, get a better life.) It's like playing your birthday numbers on the roulette wheel: pick a character to root for, but don't expect anyone at the table to win. ( )
  PocketPet | Apr 19, 2010 |

The lucrative yet dangerous world of a teenage call-girl service lures Chase and his childhood friend, Michele, in Las Vegas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,526,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible