Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery

Emily of New Moon (1923)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Emily Trilogy (1)

Recently added byaramin, greatbrittain83, private library, cialouise, Erin.Patel, Starbuck81, lisseut
Legacy LibrariesSylvia Plath

English (41)  Finnish (2)  All languages (43)
If you havent read any of the Anne books some of my references may be bewildering (: My review is also rambling..

I only found out about L. M. Montgomery's other books a few weeks ago and had a crazy dance of joy because I love all of the Anne series.
I finished reading this and realised what a different feeling this book gave me than the Anne series.

Its a queer mixture of excitement/worry...but I am glad I read it. I don't think I can love this at the moment until I read it a few times over and also the sequels.. I think the best word to describe what I feel is uncomfortable? Usually If I really love a book Ill feel happy and satisfied. I really wanted to enjoy this book.
The uncomfortable feeling may also have to do with the fact I just read the quick wiki of the sequels so I know a shot description of what already happens next...

Anyway moving on.. Emily is apart from having a big imagination like Anne and similar circumstances, a completely different character and temperament than Anne. She seems more stronger in the sense her story has a harsher slant to it and the things she's had to deal with make her appear more stronger. I can't truthfully say this story is more 'realistic' than Anne's because both have 'realistic' aspects of life, its just this has a darker richer tone which makes you appreciate the beauty while mourn harder in the sad parts.
And Emily doesn't have a mellowing older relative like Marilla, Elizabeth even in the last page is still her same old self though admitting to like Emily, not changing her ways one bit, which I guess is the way if life really.

Also one thing that bothers me is the of Emily's companions, I've never got a real fix on Teddy (her supposed future love - spoiler alert!), the descriptions of Perry & Ilse are vivid for me but Teddy his character apart from his mother's jealousy, his pipers call and artistic talent, is an parsonality that is elusive and almost non-existent to me. WHY?! Its weird, there not real quirk or picture that makes him real to me the way ANY of the characters do. I wonder who Montgomery took his character from in real life and if there is a reason she's suppressing his character. Or is it just me and I'm imagining things?

Also Dean Priest. Not sure how to feel about that..also now that I know what happens in the other books.

I feel like this series will leave me with more mixed and complicated feeling, rather than the happy sigh I give when Ive finished the adventures with Anne.

JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
Just re-read for about the hundredth time. I do love my Emily! Most people prefer Anne, but Emily has always held a special place in my heart, and I understand that L.M. Montgomery has said that Emily is more true to her real life than Anne. Someday I am determined to visit Prince Edward Island, as I have grown to love it through reading these books. ( )
  Bduke | Apr 21, 2014 |
Emily Byrd Starr is a dreamer. Even at a young age she writes poems and wanders through nature. When she is orphaned by the death of her father her mother’s estranged relatives descend upon her home and draw lots to decide who will care for her.

This novel obviously shares a lot of ground with its predecessor, Anne of Green Gables. The author’s two heroines share similar temperaments and interests. There are also a lot of characters that feel very familiar. Emily’s Aunt Elizabeth Murray is reminiscent of Marilla, while her Aunt Laura takes Matthew’s role of a softer guardian.

That being said, Emily is a great character on her own and I think my appreciation for her will develop even more with the other books in the series. She has a wonderful imagination, but she can be stoic around strangers. She’s strong-willed and stands up for herself when she feels she has to. She’d immensely loyal and trusting. We also get the chance to see her with her beloved father before he dies, something we never had with Anne.

The story follows Emily as she moves to New Moon and settles into a new life there. She has a deep love of cats and doesn’t make friends easily at first. I loved her best friend Ilse. She is a little unapologetic spitfire. Her close friends also include her cousin Jimmy with his penchant for poetry, the hired boy Perry and her classmate Teddy.

BOTTOM LINE: If you read and loved Anne of Green Gables then you can’t miss this one. Montgomery writes wonderful characters and I can’t wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

“Gossip lies nine times and tells a half-truth the 10th.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Mar 20, 2014 |
EMILY OF NEW MOON : CLASSIC

Where books are concerned these days, we notice that the ‘series style’ is in vogue which right now does not seem to want to go. Where L.M.Montgomery is concerned however, she wrote her series of the way back in the early part of the 20th century……& her works are classics. L.M.Montgomery’s book ‘Emily Of New Moon’ has always according to me been a source of inspiration where writing has been concerned. The book revolves around the character of Emily who loses her father by age seven & is by lot adopted by the spinster clan of her mother’s family at New Moon. The storyline is gentle & careful where details are concerned, making the book a wonderful read.
However, children & teenagers these days don’t fancy the innocent Emily of New Moon……they prefer action packed dramas between people & creatures that are not real. The modern day fiction characters have dug the grave of many real life characters & Emily is sadly one of them. However, Emily in her sort of coma stage is still quite immortal as her life story is as real as ours…even though she is just a character in a book. Her story is constantly being repeated in society & so she though not remembered today…..can never really be forgotten.

The drama of Emily’s life is unfurled very tenderly by the pen strokes of Montgomery ; Emily’s dreams, wishes, imagination, friends, teachers etc., are the planets which revolve around a true classic story. The author goes also to the extreme of indirectly indicating Emily’s spelling mistakes & how they improve as the years go by………as we turn the page & get mature just like little Emily. Compared to ‘Anne Shirley’ who is a popular character among Montgomery books , Emily is very impulsive but also very secretive like all artists are. Her child like emotions are at times not so child like if the reader sinks deeper into the storyline.

Many situations in the book are quite similar to ‘Anne Of Green Gables’ but the personalities of both the protagonists are different & this difference has been maintained by the author throughout the book which still can capture the readers attention. It is a profound work which captivates a reader where dialogues & emotions are concerned. There are also many ironical parts in the book, none greater than the last chapter where Mr. Carpenter (Emily’s school master) actually mocks Emily’s poems which when WE read them seem outstanding. Indirectly, Montgomery indicates to the reader that poetry is quite a subjective concept which can only be understood by tuning in on the emotional side of the verse.

Many other short stories or tales are carefully introduced into the manuscript by the author like the tale of Isle’s mother, Cousin Jimmy’s sad accident, Teddy’s peculiar mother etc., all which add on to the central theme & not diverting our attention. These short incidents are wholesome which digests into the reader’s system. These characters are shadowy however, & much of their descriptions portray them to be people who have been hurt physically, mentally & even emotionally in the past. Emily’s ‘descriptions’ throughout the narrative at times makes us laugh & at other times makes us ponder over our own hidden phantoms. Like Anne of Green Gables, Emily too makes quite a few mistakes but…they are fewer in comparison.

All in all however I must conclude that ‘Emily Of New Moon’ is a classic which can live on as we grow up…day by day…minute by minute……second by second.
  pathan.fiza | Oct 14, 2013 |
Emily is my favourite of montgomery's heroines. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |

Törnqvist, LenaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mr. George Boyd Macmillan

Alloa, Scotland

In recognition of
a long and stimulating friendship.
The house in the hollow was "a mile from anywhere"--so Maywood people said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055323370X, Paperback)

Emily Starr never knew what it was to be lonely -- until her beloved father died. Now Emily's an orphan, and her mother's snobbish relatives are taking her to live with them at New Moon Farm. She's sure she won't be happy Emily deals with stiff, stern Aunt Elizabeth and her malicious classmates by holding her head high and using her quick wit. Things begin to change when she makes friends: with Teddy, who does marvelous drawings; with Perry, who's sailed all over the world with his father yet has never been to school; and above all, with Use, a tomboy with a blazing temper. Amazingly, Emily finds New Moon beautiful and fascinating. With new friends and adventures, Emily might someday think of herself as Emily of New Moon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:01 -0400)

When Emily's father dies, leaving her an orphan, she is sent to live with a stern aunt in Prince Edward Island, where her resourcefulness and love of writing help her adjust to a new way of life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,291,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible