Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

Emily of New Moon (1923)

by L.M. Montgomery

Series: Emily Trilogy (1)

2,347None2,670 (4.2)94

English (39)  Finnish (2)  All languages (41)
Emily Byrd Starr is a dreamer. Even at a young age she writes poems and wanders through nature. When she is orphaned by the death of her father her mother’s estranged relatives descend upon her home and draw lots to decide who will care for her.

This novel obviously shares a lot of ground with its predecessor, Anne of Green Gables. The author’s two heroines share similar temperaments and interests. There are also a lot of characters that feel very familiar. Emily’s Aunt Elizabeth Murray is reminiscent of Marilla, while her Aunt Laura takes Matthew’s role of a softer guardian.

That being said, Emily is a great character on her own and I think my appreciation for her will develop even more with the other books in the series. She has a wonderful imagination, but she can be stoic around strangers. She’s strong-willed and stands up for herself when she feels she has to. She’d immensely loyal and trusting. We also get the chance to see her with her beloved father before he dies, something we never had with Anne.

The story follows Emily as she moves to New Moon and settles into a new life there. She has a deep love of cats and doesn’t make friends easily at first. I loved her best friend Ilse. She is a little unapologetic spitfire. Her close friends also include her cousin Jimmy with his penchant for poetry, the hired boy Perry and her classmate Teddy.

BOTTOM LINE: If you read and loved Anne of Green Gables then you can’t miss this one. Montgomery writes wonderful characters and I can’t wait to read the rest of the trilogy.

“Gossip lies nine times and tells a half-truth the 10th.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Mar 20, 2014 |
EMILY OF NEW MOON : CLASSIC

Where books are concerned these days, we notice that the ‘series style’ is in vogue which right now does not seem to want to go. Where L.M.Montgomery is concerned however, she wrote her series of the way back in the early part of the 20th century……& her works are classics. L.M.Montgomery’s book ‘Emily Of New Moon’ has always according to me been a source of inspiration where writing has been concerned. The book revolves around the character of Emily who loses her father by age seven & is by lot adopted by the spinster clan of her mother’s family at New Moon. The storyline is gentle & careful where details are concerned, making the book a wonderful read.
However, children & teenagers these days don’t fancy the innocent Emily of New Moon……they prefer action packed dramas between people & creatures that are not real. The modern day fiction characters have dug the grave of many real life characters & Emily is sadly one of them. However, Emily in her sort of coma stage is still quite immortal as her life story is as real as ours…even though she is just a character in a book. Her story is constantly being repeated in society & so she though not remembered today…..can never really be forgotten.

The drama of Emily’s life is unfurled very tenderly by the pen strokes of Montgomery ; Emily’s dreams, wishes, imagination, friends, teachers etc., are the planets which revolve around a true classic story. The author goes also to the extreme of indirectly indicating Emily’s spelling mistakes & how they improve as the years go by………as we turn the page & get mature just like little Emily. Compared to ‘Anne Shirley’ who is a popular character among Montgomery books , Emily is very impulsive but also very secretive like all artists are. Her child like emotions are at times not so child like if the reader sinks deeper into the storyline.

Many situations in the book are quite similar to ‘Anne Of Green Gables’ but the personalities of both the protagonists are different & this difference has been maintained by the author throughout the book which still can capture the readers attention. It is a profound work which captivates a reader where dialogues & emotions are concerned. There are also many ironical parts in the book, none greater than the last chapter where Mr. Carpenter (Emily’s school master) actually mocks Emily’s poems which when WE read them seem outstanding. Indirectly, Montgomery indicates to the reader that poetry is quite a subjective concept which can only be understood by tuning in on the emotional side of the verse.

Many other short stories or tales are carefully introduced into the manuscript by the author like the tale of Isle’s mother, Cousin Jimmy’s sad accident, Teddy’s peculiar mother etc., all which add on to the central theme & not diverting our attention. These short incidents are wholesome which digests into the reader’s system. These characters are shadowy however, & much of their descriptions portray them to be people who have been hurt physically, mentally & even emotionally in the past. Emily’s ‘descriptions’ throughout the narrative at times makes us laugh & at other times makes us ponder over our own hidden phantoms. Like Anne of Green Gables, Emily too makes quite a few mistakes but…they are fewer in comparison.

All in all however I must conclude that ‘Emily Of New Moon’ is a classic which can live on as we grow up…day by day…minute by minute……second by second.
  pathan.fiza | Oct 14, 2013 |
Emily is my favourite of montgomery's heroines. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
One of my favorites growing up. She's crazy and wants to be a writer! How cute. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
It seems almost inevitable that anyone seeking to review L.M. Montgomery's Emily of New Moon will find themselves comparing it to the author's most famous literary creation, Anne of Green Gables. Both books tell the story of a young orphan-girl who is sent to stay with elderly people on a Prince Edward Island farm, both feature a highly imaginative heroine who is appreciative of beauty and sensitive to ridicule, and both detail how that heroine wins a true home and family for herself.

But although Emily of New Moon and Anne of Green Gables follow a similar narrative trajectory, and although comparisons are only natural, there are significant differences between the two novels, and it is perhaps not entirely accurate to treat Emily and Anne as if they were simply two examples of the same character-type. Not only are they emotionally quite different - Emily an introvert and Anne an extrovert - they seem to be on widely divergent spiritual journeys.

While Anne travels from the interior to the exterior - replacing imaginary friends with real ones, and learning not to overindulge her imagination - Emily is better able to balance the demands of the interior and exterior, making real-life friends without sacrificing as much of her dream-world. She is after all, a poet and a writer, a vocation that is affirmed at the close of the novel.

I have seen this book described as "dark," or "serious," and many have noted that Emily is the most autobiographical of Montgomery's characters. I confess that Anne is my favorite - probably because I encountered her first - but there are unquestionably some areas in which Emily's narrative is the superior one. I found the supporting cast, particularly Emily's friend Ilse Burnley, far more engaging than their counterparts in Anne of Green Gables. The writing may be a little uneven, with a few vaguely purple passages, but there were also moments of intense emotional impact. I cannot read When the Curtain Lifted without feeling shivers down my back.

There is a bone-deep integrity to Emily that is very moving. I appreciate the fact that she seems better able to look past some of the religious identity-issues that are so dominant in Montgomery's world, from her friendly interaction with the marvelous Father Cassidy, to her sensitive and respectful attitude toward Ilse's atheism. All in all, she makes for an engaging heroine, more than equal to the famous Anne (my nostalgic loyalty notwithstanding). ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | May 27, 2013 |

Törnqvist, LenaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mr. George Boyd Macmillan

Alloa, Scotland

In recognition of
a long and stimulating friendship.
The house in the hollow was "a mile from anywhere"--so Maywood people said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055323370X, Paperback)

Emily Starr never knew what it was to be lonely -- until her beloved father died. Now Emily's an orphan, and her mother's snobbish relatives are taking her to live with them at New Moon Farm. She's sure she won't be happy Emily deals with stiff, stern Aunt Elizabeth and her malicious classmates by holding her head high and using her quick wit. Things begin to change when she makes friends: with Teddy, who does marvelous drawings; with Perry, who's sailed all over the world with his father yet has never been to school; and above all, with Use, a tomboy with a blazing temper. Amazingly, Emily finds New Moon beautiful and fascinating. With new friends and adventures, Emily might someday think of herself as Emily of New Moon.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:01 -0400)

When Emily's father dies, leaving her an orphan, she is sent to live with a stern aunt in Prince Edward Island, where her resourcefulness and love of writing help her adjust to a new way of life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible