Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery

Emily of New Moon (1923)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Emily Trilogy (1)

English (46)  Finnish (2)  All languages (48)
Emily's father is dying, and she has to go and live with one of her dead mother's relatives after he's died. None of them really want her - she's outspoken, honest and confident, rather than a typical well-behaved Victorian child.

It's a nice book by the author of the 'Anne of Green Gables' author, although a little disjointed in places. There are several of Emily's letters interspersed in the book, written supposedly to her dead father. While they are a good method of giving a child's first-person perspective, they're full of spelling errors in the early part of the book, which made them remarkably difficult to read. Still, a pleasant and quick read. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I love this book! It just makes me think of my own childhood and how times have changed. Also such a classic and simply lovely. ( )
  MonaGannon | Jan 16, 2016 |
There’s a lot of similarities between Anne og Green Gables and Emily of New Moon (the title being one of them). Both orphaned girls being adopted into new families where they have a hard time to fit in. Both fond of creating a dream world of their own, both aspiring writers.

I thought it might be difficult to separate the stories and not think of Anne all the time, but quickly Emily emerged as her own unique, lovely character, timid, with a poetic mind, a strong sense of justice and inability to understand the grown up world. She has several battles with her “nemesis”, the strict aunt Elizabeth, but both learn valuable lessons living under the same roof.

I liked the letters Emily writes to her father (who has just passed away), letters in which she pours out her heart like small laments, trying to make sense of her new life at New Moon.

Emily meet “kindred spirits” (phrase taken from Anne) and one in particular who understands her and who talks of fairies and the make-believe. That’s a beautiful moment in the story.

Last week I read an essay about the difference between being childish and childlike. I think Emily learns something of this too. I think that’s why I like children’s books so much. It reminds me of the importance of being childlike - and not grow into an old cynic. Not to have a frozen heart like aunt Elizabeth - but like Emily to write poems of the wonder of nature and small details of life. ( )
3 vote ctpress | Dec 19, 2015 |
After her father dies, Emily goes to live with her mother's eccentric side of the family, and finds herself struggling to cope with two spinster aunts and one bachelor uncle, none of who have any idea how to raise a young girl of eleven years. Emily's passion is writing, and despite the sarcastic commentary of adults and family, will not stop her daily journals and letters.

This story is similar to Anne of Green Gables in some ways, but not in most, so this did not feel like a copy of that classic. However, for me it didn't have the same charm as Anne's books, so while I'd recommend it, I can't rate it as high as other books by this author. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 9, 2015 |
This was a re-read. I don't recall how many times I've read the Emily books, but it is certainly fewer times than the Anne books. And my memory is that I always felt vaguely resentful of Emily for not being Anne, and toward her world for being a somewhat more bitter, realistic one. But this time around I was able to appreciate the book-- and Emily-- for what they are. And in truth, they fed something in my reader-soul that the Anne books don't. I still love Anne, but this re-read made me love Emily too, and not because of the ways she is similar to Anne, but because of the ways she is different. I am eager to continue my re-read of the second and third books now! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Törnqvist, LenaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mr. George Boyd Macmillan

Alloa, Scotland

In recognition of
a long and stimulating friendship.
The house in the hollow was "a mile from anywhere"--so Maywood people said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055323370X, Paperback)

Emily Starr never knew what it was to be lonely -- until her beloved father died. Now Emily's an orphan, and her mother's snobbish relatives are taking her to live with them at New Moon Farm. She's sure she won't be happy Emily deals with stiff, stern Aunt Elizabeth and her malicious classmates by holding her head high and using her quick wit. Things begin to change when she makes friends: with Teddy, who does marvelous drawings; with Perry, who's sailed all over the world with his father yet has never been to school; and above all, with Use, a tomboy with a blazing temper. Amazingly, Emily finds New Moon beautiful and fascinating. With new friends and adventures, Emily might someday think of herself as Emily of New Moon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:28 -0400)

When Emily's father dies, leaving her an orphan, she is sent to live with a stern aunt in Prince Edward Island, where her resourcefulness and love of writing help her adjust to a new way of life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible