Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Trainspotting (original 1993; edition 1996)

by Irvine Welsh

Member:avatiakh
Title:Trainspotting
Authors:Irvine Welsh
Info:Vintage (1996), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, 13 in 13, Read in 2013

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (1993)

English (53)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (58)
Total failure. I mean, I have tried. But two pages is a pain. And I haven't reached the Scots part. ( )
  siddartha | Aug 1, 2014 |
This book reminded me of Requium For a Dream. It shows how messed up drugs will make you, and the extent to what you will do to get drugs.

It's told from the perspective of several junkies...and at times I had a hard time understanding what they were talking about (it's also written in a Scottish accent, and for the first 10 or so pages I literally had to say the words out loud in order to understand what I was reading--that got better though).

I think books/movies like this should be shown to every middle schooler (maybe ealier) to scare the hell out of them and keep them from doing drugs. Sorry DARE, I just don't think you're as effective as showing a junky reach into a public toilet he just defecated into up to his elbows in order to get the drugs that were dropped in. Straight up. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
One of My favorite Books/movies. I know that Irvine Welsh is not everyone's cup of tea but I really like his writing style. His books are always interesting and I always finish happy. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |
Rereading this after a long time, I understand it a lot better. It's brilliant and an important statement on decolonization sentiments. Renton is a fantastic example of a narrator too shortsighted to do more than live moment by moment. Recommended. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
to Anne
The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
"Life's boring and futile. We start oaf wi high hopes, then we bottle it. We realise that we're all gunnae die, withoot really findin oot the big answers. We develop aw they long-winded ideas which jist interpret the reality ay oor lives in different weys, withoot really extending oor body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short, disappointing life; and then we die."
Johnny wis a junky as well as a dealer. Ye hud tae go a wee bit further up the ladder before ye found a dealer whae didnae use. We called Johnny "Mother Superior" because ay the length ay time he'd had his habit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393314804, Paperback)

Irvine Welsh's controversial first novel, set on the heroin-addicted fringe of working-class youth in Edinburgh, is yet another exploration of the dark side of Scottishness. The main character, Mark Renton, is at the center of a clique of nihilistic slacker junkies with no hopes and no possibilities, and only "mind-numbing and spirit-crushing" alternatives in the straight world they despise. This particular slice of humanity has nothing left but the blackest of humor and a sharpness of wit. American readers can use the glossary in the back to translate the slang and dialect--essential, since the dialogue makes the book. This is a bleak vision sung as musical comedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:41 -0400)

Trainspotting is the novel that launched the sensational career of Irvine Welsh - an authentic, unrelenting, and strangely exhilarating group portrait of blasted lives in Edinburgh that has the linguistic energy of A Clockwork Orange and the literary impact of Last Exit to Brooklyn. Rents, Sick Boy, Mother Superior, Swanney, Spuds, and Begbie are as unforgettable a clutch of rude boys, junkies, and nutters as readers will ever encounter.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393314804, 0393057240

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible