Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Trainspotting (original 1993; edition 1996)

by Irvine Welsh

Member:avatiakh
Title:Trainspotting
Authors:Irvine Welsh
Info:Vintage (1996), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction, 13 in 13, Read in 2013

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (1993)

English (58)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (63)
I'll never think of Scotland in the same way after reading this book of five Heroin users. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I've heard this novel being described as 'hilarious', but I mainly found it dark and depressing.
The novel follows a group of young Scottish drug addicts, in their daily lives. It's written in short episodes from different viewpoints, and very gradually you get quite a deep and vivid insight into their lives and their relationships.
Though I cannot say I 'enjoyed' the novel - enjoying is really not the right word for it - I do appreciate it for the insight it gives into a wholly different culture. A culture of drugs, violence, and despair - where people only live for the next shot, and suffer the agonies of withdrawal when they can't get it. The novel is an illustration of disillusioned youth, unable to hold down a job and live a great and exciting life, stuck in the poorer quarters of the city, where drugs seems the only way out of a life that has nothing to offer.
I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. I think Welsh did a great job in describing this part of society that often escapes our view. Definitely not something to read if you need cheering up though! ( )
  Britt84 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Was surprised to find out it was a set of short stories, having seen the film first. Great book (but you need to be able to read with a Scottish accent!)....not really! ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |
Once I got over the Scottish accented dialogue found this a very enjoyable though dark read. I find for books that are written phonetically I need to set aside a large block of time to get into a mindset to almost translate the writing. ( )
  kale.dyer | May 8, 2016 |
This novel tells the story of a group of junkies living on the edge in Edinburgh. It starts out spreading the story between several key characters - Rents, Sick Boy, and Spud, amongst others. It quickly becomes clear that the story is really that of Mark Renton, or Rents as he is known to his friends. We follow him over a period of several months where he splits his time between Edinburgh and London, sometimes clean, sometimes not, and it seems, always scheming.

I really enjoyed this novel, but can definitely understand that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. For starters it's written entirely in a lowland Scots dialect, which for many will be really difficult to understand, let alone read. The story is also a pretty dismal one of people trying their best to survive when surrounded by crime, drugs, and AIDS. This is not light reading or for the faint of heart. I was rather surprised by the ending, but in retrospect I shouldn't have been as it was just more of the same old stuff you've come to expect of characters who despite a strong loyalty to each other, can't help but put their needs above that of anyone or anything else. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
to Anne
The sweat wis lashing oafay Sick Boy; he wis trembling.
"Life's boring and futile. We start oaf wi high hopes, then we bottle it. We realise that we're all gunnae die, withoot really findin oot the big answers. We develop aw they long-winded ideas which jist interpret the reality ay oor lives in different weys, withoot really extending oor body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short, disappointing life; and then we die."
Johnny wis a junky as well as a dealer. Ye hud tae go a wee bit further up the ladder before ye found a dealer whae didnae use. We called Johnny "Mother Superior" because ay the length ay time he'd had his habit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393314804, Paperback)

Irvine Welsh's controversial first novel, set on the heroin-addicted fringe of working-class youth in Edinburgh, is yet another exploration of the dark side of Scottishness. The main character, Mark Renton, is at the center of a clique of nihilistic slacker junkies with no hopes and no possibilities, and only "mind-numbing and spirit-crushing" alternatives in the straight world they despise. This particular slice of humanity has nothing left but the blackest of humor and a sharpness of wit. American readers can use the glossary in the back to translate the slang and dialect--essential, since the dialogue makes the book. This is a bleak vision sung as musical comedy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

Trainspotting is the novel that launched the sensational career of Irvine Welsh - an authentic, unrelenting, and strangely exhilarating group portrait of blasted lives in Edinburgh that has the linguistic energy of A Clockwork Orange and the literary impact of Last Exit to Brooklyn. Rents, Sick Boy, Mother Superior, Swanney, Spuds, and Begbie are as unforgettable a clutch of rude boys, junkies, and nutters as readers will ever encounter.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393314804, 0393057240

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,470,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible