The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

The Eye of the World (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Robert Jordan

10,213168281 (4.03)2 / 269
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:The Eye of the World
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Orbit (1992), Paperback
Tags:Fantasy, Wheel of Time

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

20th century (24) adventure (62) Aes Sedai (22) audiobook (23) Book 1 (36) ebook (40) epic (136) epic fantasy (159) fantasy (2,120) fantasy fiction (28) favorites (22) fiction (746) high fantasy (72) Jordan (42) Kindle (24) magic (88) novel (66) own (60) owned (29) paperback (60) prophecy (23) read (167) Robert Jordan (91) science fiction (78) series (189) sf (23) sff (88) to-read (130) unread (40) Wheel of Time (782)
    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (163)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (167)
A non stop fan-freaking-tastic chase of epic proportions!

I first read Eye of the World when I was in high school almost 15 years ago. I remembered loving it then and it did not disappoint when I picked it back up again recently. I am determined to finish the series now that the final book will be released this coming January.

It is a captivating story with characters that grip onto you and don't let go. In this particular first volume the three main characters are Rand, Perrin and Mat, all of the same age they are barely young men. They live in the little village called the Two Rivers. The Beltine Spring festival is tomorrow and there are several unusual strangers in town. But chaos breaks loose upon the town that night and the boys lives are never the same.

Pretty much once the trouble starts shortly after The Eye of the World gets started the action doesn't slow down much. They are being pursued by it seems just about everyone. Scary monsters that they thought only existed in a Gleeman's tales.

This is an epic fantasy with a magic system with power that is split into a make and female side. There are monstrous creatures, darkfriends, men that can speak to wolves, and misty evils that can destroy an army. I could barely put this book down and finished the 800 pages in two days.

The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the confrontation at the end of the book seemed a bit anti-climactic to me compared to some of the preceding action throughout the rest of the book. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
This is a brilliant start to a wonderful series! But know before you start this that the series is very long and does lag in a few spots towards the middle. I'd recommend not reading them one right after the other, but taking breaks in between each book. It's well worth the investment though! Very rarely do you get to follow the same characters through this much epicness, and to me that was amazing. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 21, 2014 |
I see now why people like this series. Pretty cool. Character development is kind of slow to almost non existant. Mat really annoying and found it hard to feel sorry for him but Perrin and Rand are pretty cool. Egwene is naive as shit.

Everyone talks about the plot holes of this series so hopefully I dont grow to resent it as much others do. Well at least I know what to expect, not like the people that read the books from the beginning, that the series will not be finished by the original author. hopefully i don't notice the difference in writing style when i get there, especially since i like B. Sanderson's style of writing too. ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
Mixed feelings about this series. On the one hand, MISOGYNIST, on the other, GREAT writing. ( )
1 vote konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Years ago I read the Wheel of Time series up through book 10. Now it's late 2008, Robert Jordan has passed on, and we're expecting the last Wheel of Time book, A Memory of Light in about one year. Brandon Sanderson will be writing it with the help of notes and taped messages left by Jordan, and in consultation with Harriet, Jordan's widow and confidante.

When I read it the first time, I really enjoyed WOT until it bogged down in the middle of the series. In fact, I stopped reading it after Crossroads of Twilight. But the story was interesting and exciting (though excruciatingly slow at times) and now I'm quite curious to see how Brandon Sanderson will bring it to an end. So, because I need a refresher on the story, but mainly because I found these books in audio formats, I've decided to re-read them. I would not have had the patience for actually reading them again in print, but I have much more time for listening than reading (and I don't have anything else to listen to right now). So, here goes:

The Eye of the World was just as fun as I remembered it. I still like long adventures where ordinary folks find out that they've got special talents and destinies and that they have to stop the bad guys from taking over the world. And I still enjoy a bildungsroman [bildungsroman: a kind of novel that follows the development of the hero or heroine from childhood or adolescence into adulthood, through a troubled quest for identity]. If you're the type who rolls your eyes at these types of stories, then skip this series.

The Wheel of Time is truly epic in scope -- there's a huge cast of characters, each with their own (though often over-the-top) personalities. Jordan doesn't tell us everything up front -- we're not sure which side some of the characters are on. He also unfolds the history and magic systems little by little, which helps to avoid weighty info-dumps and makes us slowly realize how rich and well-thought out his world is (though I suspect that there are some inconsistencies.)

Jordan is mostly a smooth writer. His style is slow and very descriptive (for example, he frequently gives us the minute details of each character's garb). He uses the third-person intense narrative voice, giving us the internal thoughts of several of the main characters, which produces good characterization. He's got a few annoying habits, however: sometimes words (especially adverbs) are imprecisely used, and he tends to repeat things: there are way too many sniffing ladies, blushing farmboys, hands scrubbing through hair, smiles that don't touch the eyes, people muttering to themselves, skirts being gathered, and innkeepers wiping their hands on their aprons. And how could we forget that Lan's face is all stony planes and that Aes Sedai never lie but the truth they tell you may not be the truth you hear? These little things continue throughout all the books and start to become annoying to the reader.

But still, I was amazed to find myself looking forward to my commute, or folding laundry, or scrubbing toilets, because then I could turn on my MP3 player and listen to The Eye of the World. Even the second time, the story truly is exciting. So, though it's got faults, I've got to give The Eye of the World high marks just for keeping me thoroughly entertained. The audiobook production is excellent -- Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are some of the best readers available.

By the way, if you need a refresher, but don't want to re-read the books before the last one comes out, you can find a recap of the books, including a glossary of characters and a synopsis of who's alive, who's dead, and who's neither, at Dragonmount.com.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a begining

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible