The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

The Eye of the World (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Robert Jordan

11,897219221 (4.02)2 / 308
Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:The Eye of the World
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Orbit (1992), Paperback
Tags:Fantasy, Wheel of Time

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

Recently added byprivate library, LitaVore, Adilinaria, thallada, BenHobbes
    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (RickyHaas)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (216)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All (220)
I was twelve when I started reading the Wheel of Time series and I loved them at the time. The new grade eight teacher heard I liked the books and even lent me a fan book about the Wheel of Time, and I remember searching online for forums where I could discuss it because I was such a fannish young adult. I remember waiting for book 10 which came out at the start of 2003 but I got partway through and just stopped caring entirely. I'd realised by then that the series should have ended at book 3. I admittedly wrote some of my first stories completely aping Jordan in the set-up, which means what I wrote was doubly derivative. Sometimes I'm curious and want to read this first one again because it meant a lot to me once, but there are too many actually amazing books out there so I just haven't got the time. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Re-read in March 2017 for my 2017 goal to read and complete the entire series. Just as good as I remember it being the first time I read it in 1990. A rollicking good beginning to an epic fantasy series. The only thing that kept it being a 5-star read was that I was starting to get a bit irritated with some of the behaviors of the teenagers in the book. ( )
  LisaMorr | Mar 21, 2017 |
It's the start of the series, so you are getting introduced to the characters.

It's a good start. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 5, 2017 |
Rand al'Thor and his friends flee from invading Trolloc armies and begin a journey to make sense of why the Trollocs are after Rand and who is the unseen evil behind them.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jan 2, 2017 |
A re-read in preparation for the final novel in the beginning of next year.

Incredible. The scene in the beginning where Rand sees the dark horseman and everything is winter dead and the atmosphere is dreadful, it really got me. It was good writing. The story was cool and there was so much that I just didn't remember. There were times that I didn't like characters, but I know more of that is coming, so I tried to let it go. But it is really hard to not want to kill Matt for being a complete asshole in the middle of Shadar Logoth.

Definitely going to go slow with this series, one every couple of weeks, no back to back readings, so as not to burn out. And I really like the new TOR covers as well :-)

[first recorded read in July 2000] ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
When I saw that this book had about 700 pages with 13 other books in the series of a similar size I knew I had to read it and I was not disappointed. The book is pretty slow to get going and has a lot of similarities to The Lord of the Rings. However as it progresses it begins to work with things The Lord of the Rings never did. Most of the characters were really interesting and many matured a lot through out the story. There were some that I wish had been grown a bit more, but there are thirteen other books for them to do so. The three main male characters are fairly similar in the beginning, but towards the end they are established as very different people with different skills and abilities. Also in this book there are several strong female main characters (something that The Lord of the Rings lacked). Overall I really liked this book and plan on getting the second. Assuming the rest of the books in the series are just as good I will read them all.

Jordan, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. (Chapter One)

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible