The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

10,325174279 (4.03)2 / 274
Member:JechtShot
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Audiobooks, 2009 Challenge
Tags:2009, Wheel of Time, Fantasy, Audio Book

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (170)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (174)
Robert Jordan's the Eye Of the World is a great start to a long series. I will warn you if you do not enjoy reading epics than do not even attempt to read this book. If you read only this book you obviously will be disappointed because the characters are not fully developed and the story itself is not fully developed. Jordan wants the gradual develop characters and the situation in a somewhat more realistic way. Think about it if you met people you were told your whole life to not trust but had to go with these people anyways would you tell them everything about yourself? Um no. You would hide parts of your personality. We start to get a sense of the characters but I know it will take time for the characters to develop more. I look forward to reading the rest of the books! ( )
  Jashrekn | Sep 24, 2014 |
I read this book a long time ago. I read up to book five or six, I can't remember which and I just let it drop. I do plan on doing a re-read, but I am placing this book in my 'reading-but-set-aside-for-a-bit' shelf.
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
After hearing the Robert Jordan is one of the best authors of fantasy, I decided to give his first novel a try. I can't say that I was disappointed; it comes pretty close to being one of my favorites.

eye of the worldThe Eye of the World is a very character based novel. There are so many protagonists that I felt I couldn't really connect to or care for any one of them as much as I would have liked. If you want to know who to pay attention to when beginning the novel, then you should pay close attention to Rand, Matt, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, and Thom. The only one of these characters that I slightly cared about was Rand. That is probably because most of the story seems to be in his point-of-view. You get to hear many of his thoughts and enter tons of his dreams. He is also the character with a mysterious past that I still want to uncover. At least I found the characters to be real. Their actions, emotions, and lack of knowledge of the world outside of their home made them feel like actual people. I also enjoyed how strong his male characters were, but even more so the female characters. They tend to be more powerful than the men, which you don't come across very often.

Robert Jordan spent an enormous about of time with his world building. It is one of the best and can be compared to George R.R Martin and Tolkein. He includes so much detail that the story can become verbose at times. Jordan spends a lot of time describing clothing, the scenery down to how things smell, the people (even minor characters), cities and their buildings, and even the minor actions of the characters. I would say that there is little to be left to the imagination. He also includes tons of history throughout the novel. You learn about people, places, and events that happened thousands of years ago. Jordan's world is so complex and in-depth that I had to read the glossary several times after reading the first few chapters to understand what the characters were discussing. They describe things such as the Aes Sadi, Ajah, the Pattern, Children of the Light, Breaking of the World, Darkfriends, and the One Power to name just a few important terms.

Even though his world was so complex and I had to continue looking things up, I really got to become part of the world he was describing. I could picture everything and everyplace that was described. If you don't like things that are detail oriented, then I wouldn't suggest reading Jordan.

The plot is pretty complex, but not too confusing and I think Jordan handled it pretty well. The plot is pretty standard for your fantasy novel. There are bad guys who want to try to take over the world again and young people that no one knows about are the key to defeating this evil. The story is pretty slow throughout with a few quick action scenes here and there. What kept me going were the secrets that I wanted to uncover and the beautiful world that Jordan created.

I also enjoyed the magic system even though I found it a bit confusing at first. Basically, people wield the One Power, which is provided by the True Source. This True Source is split into two parts. One is the Saidar (for the women) and Saidin (for the men). During the Breaking of the World Saidin was tainted by the Dark One so when men would wield the One Power it would drive them to madness. As a result, there haven't been men who can wield the power for thousands of years. Eventually, you learn that the power is split into five elements (air, water, earth, fire, and spirit) and even though both can wield all five, some of the powers are stronger in males than in females and vice versa. You also learn what the One Power can do as you read the book.

Overall, I did enjoy the book, but I do not know yet when I will continue reading the series. There are other books I think I would rather read first. However, I do recommend at least giving it a try and if you do read the glossary several times before reading. There is minimal violence and nothing that would be too inappropriate for younger readers (though they may find some things to be confusing), so I would recommend this book to anyone who is 16 and older and who doesn't mind books that are detail oriented.
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
My first fantasy epic book. Fell in love with the genre because of this book. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
La trama forse è simile a Il signore degli anelli, ma resta comunque un gran bel libro. Spero che i capitoli successivi restino sugli stessi livelli. ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a begining

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,965,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible