The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

10,673184266 (4.02)2 / 289
Member:JechtShot
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Audiobooks, Archived Challenges
Tags:Wheel of Time, Fantasy, Audio Book, 2009 Challenge

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (179)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (183)
To be honest, if a friend hadn't loaned me this book and I had anything else to read, I would not have finished it back in the early nineties. It was blah, dreary, wearying. The story is virtually unoriginal in every way. If the friend who had loaned it to me hadn't insisted I read the next book, this series would have been done before Rand and Matt pathetically reached Caemlyn. Fortunately, the second book is far better.

Many characters were pretty flat. Rand was just not likeable in any way and even after he finds some strength, he is still uninspiring. Mat has to wait until book 3 to become the enjoyable rogue. Perrin is slightly interesting. Take Nynaeve: some flash of temper, pull braid, man-hating comment, pull braid, huff, cue off stage. Moraine may have been the most interesting character. The intro is muddled. It took a while to figure what the heck this surreal Lews Therin dreamscape thing had to do with anything. The climax is both rushed and muddled.

I have read this book several times over the years as I reread the whole series every other release or so. This book only gets marginally better at each reread since my brain fills in many details. Otherwise as a first read, I would give this book 1.5 stars. Some may excuse it as being an introductory volume to a much larger series, but that doesn't excuse the amateurish writing and lazy editing. Jordan had 800+ pages for character and plot development! McDonald wrote the whole Princess/Goblin in about 1/4 and spawned the whole fantasy genre. The Hobbit was less than half the size with much more accomplished. My single volume LotR is only 1200 pages long - as large as 1.5 volumes of this series. War and Peace isn't much bigger and Tolstoy created a huge cast of fully-fleshed characters, chronicled the Napoleonic invasion of Russia, and threw in world-changing philosophy, too! I'm not asking for War and Peace, just a little craftsmanship.

The first three WoT books didn't seem to have much priority at Tor, so their editing is poor with typos throughout the second half of each book.

With all of that said, I would still recommend this series. The time wasted here will be well rewarded. ( )
  Hae-Yu | May 5, 2015 |
Just a bit too long, good, but too long for its pacing. Although I enjoyed the story I had to keep dragging myself back to read it, glad I did but not in rush to read the next one. ( )
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
Having read many fantasy series over the years, I find myself - like the genre itself - always haunted by its founding father... Tolkien.

I finished the Lord of the Rings when I was 8, and it is fair to say that nothing has matched that. Magician and the riftwar trilogy was enjoyable, the opening trilogy of A Song of Ice and Fire was cracking entertainment plotwise (but a bit empty in other ways) but many others have been terrible. [Thomas Covenant (author forgotten), Robin Hobbs books, I want those hours of my life back.]

This falls somewhere in between, like some of Terry Brooks efforts (err, Shannara series if i remember correctly). It succeeds in creating a semi-interesting fantasy world and some semi-appealing characters but it is all a bit sketchy and vague. The world it evokes is a bit hazy and lacking in detail, and the characters a little bit flat. The plot has gaps in it which the author attempts to fill at the end, in a bit of a rush, and not very convincingly. I am only half-tempted to go on and read the next book... ( )
  monosphronein | Apr 25, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
a very entertaining read, it is a fantasy novel full of mystery and intrigue. The purest definition of a fantasy epic this series of books spans about 16(?) books long and so far im loving it. Memorable characters, engaging plot, vivid scenery. What more could you ask for. ( )
  nmg1 | Mar 20, 2015 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. [Prologue]
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. [Chapter One]

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible