The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

12,013226215 (4.02)2 / 309
Member:JechtShot
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Audiobooks, Archived Challenges
Tags:Wheel of Time, Fantasy, Audio Book, 2009 Challenge

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (RickyHaas)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (222)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All (226)
I honestly cannot remember how many times I have read this book. Honestly.

First read this in '95 and then plowed through all the available books in the series up to that year which was Book 6: Lord of Chaos if I'm not mistaken... then I read 7... which was when things started going downhill... after that I bought 8 & 9 and decided to stop buying/reading until the last book was near. Well in the interim Mr. Jordan passed away (RIP, sir, T_T) and Sanderson has been a thankfully good proxy for him... my re-read started a few months ago (now I am stalled at Book 4 - going to pick it up again soon) and next year the last book "A Memory of Light" is out.

"The Eye of the World" for me is still a really good fantasy book. It was my first door-stopper fantasy series and will always hold a special place in my sf/f-geek heart. This is a goodly yarn which suffered from middle-book-beating-around-the-bush syndrome... but pulls it's socks up towards the end.

Life is also, more times than not, as such.

Full steam ahead at the beginning, plodding in the middle and the last push at the end...

kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book was absolutely amazing. I'm not usually a big fan of fantasy (unless it's sci-fi) but this had me engrossed. I loved the world building, the characters and the story. Truly amazing. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  MikePearce | Jun 19, 2017 |
Una delle più belle e complesse saghe fantasy. ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
i started this a while back and was finding it thoroughly dull, although suspected at the time i may just not have been in the mood for it. i'll gie it another try at some point - although i suspect it's that ilk of fantasy that i've grown to loathe - Raymond Feist, Steven Erikson, etc
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
What a long read!! up to now I've read and heard enough about this series that I know it'd be a very long long journey for me to finish it but at least I've started, right?

And despite my ever dislike toward over-500-pages books I can say I liked it. I think Jordan creation of this world can finally fill the empty space I felt after finishing Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and his Middle Earth.

I won't write anything about the story as I'm sure everybody knows it but I'll probably edit this review later. ( )
  ardvisoor | Jun 5, 2017 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. (Prologue)
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. (Chapter One)

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible