The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

10,035None283 (4.04)2 / 265
Member:JechtShot
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, Audiobooks, 2009 Challenge
Tags:2009, Wheel of Time, Fantasy, Audio Book

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

20th century (24) adventure (61) audiobook (23) Book 1 (36) ebook (39) epic (136) epic fantasy (157) fantasy (2,105) fantasy fiction (28) favorites (21) fiction (740) high fantasy (72) Jordan (42) Kindle (23) magic (88) novel (66) own (59) owned (28) paperback (59) prophecy (23) read (165) Robert Jordan (91) science fiction (78) series (190) sf (23) sff (86) speculative fiction (21) to-read (120) unread (40) Wheel of Time (776)
    The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (159)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (164)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Years ago I read the Wheel of Time series up through book 10. Now it's late 2008, Robert Jordan has passed on, and we're expecting the last Wheel of Time book, A Memory of Light in about one year. Brandon Sanderson will be writing it with the help of notes and taped messages left by Jordan, and in consultation with Harriet, Jordan's widow and confidante.

When I read it the first time, I really enjoyed WOT until it bogged down in the middle of the series. In fact, I stopped reading it after Crossroads of Twilight. But the story was interesting and exciting (though excruciatingly slow at times) and now I'm quite curious to see how Brandon Sanderson will bring it to an end. So, because I need a refresher on the story, but mainly because I found these books in audio formats, I've decided to re-read them. I would not have had the patience for actually reading them again in print, but I have much more time for listening than reading (and I don't have anything else to listen to right now). So, here goes:

The Eye of the World was just as fun as I remembered it. I still like long adventures where ordinary folks find out that they've got special talents and destinies and that they have to stop the bad guys from taking over the world. And I still enjoy a bildungsroman [bildungsroman: a kind of novel that follows the development of the hero or heroine from childhood or adolescence into adulthood, through a troubled quest for identity]. If you're the type who rolls your eyes at these types of stories, then skip this series.

The Wheel of Time is truly epic in scope -- there's a huge cast of characters, each with their own (though often over-the-top) personalities. Jordan doesn't tell us everything up front -- we're not sure which side some of the characters are on. He also unfolds the history and magic systems little by little, which helps to avoid weighty info-dumps and makes us slowly realize how rich and well-thought out his world is (though I suspect that there are some inconsistencies.)

Jordan is mostly a smooth writer. His style is slow and very descriptive (for example, he frequently gives us the minute details of each character's garb). He uses the third-person intense narrative voice, giving us the internal thoughts of several of the main characters, which produces good characterization. He's got a few annoying habits, however: sometimes words (especially adverbs) are imprecisely used, and he tends to repeat things: there are way too many sniffing ladies, blushing farmboys, hands scrubbing through hair, smiles that don't touch the eyes, people muttering to themselves, skirts being gathered, and innkeepers wiping their hands on their aprons. And how could we forget that Lan's face is all stony planes and that Aes Sedai never lie but the truth they tell you may not be the truth you hear? These little things continue throughout all the books and start to become annoying to the reader.

But still, I was amazed to find myself looking forward to my commute, or folding laundry, or scrubbing toilets, because then I could turn on my MP3 player and listen to The Eye of the World. Even the second time, the story truly is exciting. So, though it's got faults, I've got to give The Eye of the World high marks just for keeping me thoroughly entertained. The audiobook production is excellent -- Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are some of the best readers available.

By the way, if you need a refresher, but don't want to re-read the books before the last one comes out, you can find a recap of the books, including a glossary of characters and a synopsis of who's alive, who's dead, and who's neither, at Dragonmount.com.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I bought “Eye of the World” by author Robert Jordan from www.audible.com. This book is narrated by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer. The book took up a lot of space on My Precious kindle; its 30 hours and 32 minutes long. I had to call www.audible.com to find out the actual size of the file, 864mb. The downloading time will vary depending on your internet connection.

As y’all know, I love My Precious kindle for various reasons. It’s great for me to haul around my library that consists of over 1,000 books. My Precious fits in my purse and I can take it anywhere I go. I bought the leather lighted cover that works off the battery of My Precious, so I can read anytime of the day or night. Finally, I love to use the text-to-speech option. I’m not a fan of the computerized and non-emotion; it does allow me to drive, cook, clean and do other various things while I listen to a book.

One day, author Michael J. Sullivan, informed me that he had a free audio book on www.audible.com. After downloading “The Jester” I was blown away with this new world of books. I knew that audible books existed, but I wasn’t too excited about the cost of some of the books. After going to www.audible.com, I checked into the membership fees. There are various stages of membership, but the one that I chose was the Gold Membership, $14.95 per month for 1 credit. This credit can be used for any books that they have regardless of the price. My suggestion is to find any book that cost more than the $14.95. This way you get more bang for your buck. Anything less than the membership amount, I would just pay outright. You’ll come out ahead and not feel like you wasted your money. For signing up for a membership with www.audible.com, you will get one month free to try the service. This will give you 1 credit to find and sample a book. If interested in trying this, I have a direct link on my website….GO TRY IT! IT’S AMAZING!

******

For “Eye of the World” the audio version will cost you $41.97 regular price or $29.38 or 1 credit for members. I had never heard of Robert Jordan and this series until I had a suggestion from www.audible.com after getting the book “The Jester.” Excited about getting to listen to another book read by an real person I couldn’t wait to get into this book.

“Eye of the World” begins in Edmond’s Field in The Two Rivers district with Rand al’Thor, Matrim (Mat) Cauthon, Perrin Aybara and Egwene al’Vere, and Nynaeve al’Meara all preparing for festival. Rand and his father Tam are at home and attacked by Trollocs. In a rush to save himself and his son Tam, grabs his sword and sends Rand off to the woods. Seeing that his father is seriously wounded, Rand drags his father through the woods and to Edmond’s Field for help from the town Wisdom.

Upon his arrival at Edmond’s Field, he finds that the town has been demolished by Trollocs. His friends survived, but their houses are demolished. With the inn being intact and now the hospital, Rand takes his father in for the wound that has left his father delirious. Once there, somewhat healed, Rand is instructed by his father to leave and head for Tar Valon. He is to take his sword and run for safety.

Rand, Mat, and Perrin realize that it was them that the Trollocs were after. It was Aes Sadai Moiraine Damodred who informs the boys that they are to travel with her and her Warder al’Lan Mandragoran. The two will help make sure that the boys reach their destination. Packing for their departure, Egwene al’Vere, who is the so-so girlfriend of Rand, takes it upon herself to join in the travels.

Once on their way, the four youngsters learn from Moiraine that they are all destined for this trip. The boys learn that they have special abilities. Through their dreams they learn of the evil Mashadar who is trying to convince the boys that they need to accept their dark sides. Egwene learns that she has been destined to be an Aes Sadai. Learning this, Rand becomes upset not knowing if he wants this for his Egwene.

Throughout the story, the boys learn that they need to learn to trust each other. They learn that the world outside The Two Rivers is full of deceit. If they are to survive their trip to Tar Valon, then they need to tap into their new abilities and accept they are no longer the naïve kids they use to be.

*****

The narrators Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are amazing. After using my master skills of bing.com I discovered that these two are married. Mr. Kramer and Ms. Reading has done over 100 audio books. When I first heard Mr. Kramer’s voice I was the ear to ear smiles. He has such a pleasant and dramatic voice. The way that he would change his voice to adjust to the characters and their moods was just superb. I laughed when I first heard him raise his voice to do the female characters. Knowing that Ms. Reading was also listed as a narrator, I was wondering when I would hear her. It was about chapter 15 when I was shocked to hear a female voice. Ms. Reading has one of those voices that you could just sit and listen to all day. Whoever selected these two for the reading of this book did one helluva a job. They were perfect.

Now this is the part that I know I’ll get some flak for. I wasn’t that impressed with this book. The storyline of the adventure reminded me of Lord of the Rings. They group is tasked with a long adventure that puts them in contact with mythical creatures. Where I didn’t care for the book was there was just way too much detail. There was characters introduce throughout the story that weren’t even instrumental. To me they were just fillers. I realize with a book this huge, there will be a lot of extra stuff included that just could be left out. I caught myself bored so much during this story. Normally I’m so wrapped up in the story that nothing else around me distracts me. That was not the case with this story. I found myself not even paying attention and having to back up the story just to catch what I missed.

I got so upset with Mat during this story. If I could had just slapped him and told him to stop his damn whining, I would have. I don’t know how Rand was able to put up with it. We all know people who complain about everything and are never happy. Well, this is Mat! To me he was the most annoying character in this story.

I am a huge Science Fiction and Fantasy fan, but this book just didn’t do it for me. I honestly gave it everything I could to try to fall in love with the story. I just couldn’t. I even went and did some research on this series and noticed that it’s 14 books long. I will have to say that I’m done with this series after the first book. If the story was more captivating to me, I wouldn’t hesitate to invest the time that all these books would need. Unfortunately, I’m filing this book as one that I won’t continue with. ( )

cbilbo | Apr 2, 2014 |
There are many similarities between this and The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. I'm looking forward to reading Book 2. If they are all as good and I don't get bored (and given enough time), I might read them all. I'm already wondering about how many times around the wheel the plot goes... There are some pretty fantastical escapes from what looks like almost certain doom for some of the hero's. I'm not big on fantasy in general, but I found this a good escape and I think it helped me to dream some pretty good dreams. The thing that is unusual for me is that this is almost pure escapism, there is no metaphor to war and history as in Lord of the Rings. It seems completely detached from this world. ( )
  agdturner | Mar 2, 2014 |

Nielsen, Matthew C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a begining

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:34 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible