The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

11,623214232 (4.02)2 / 302
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:My Library

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (210)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (214)
I enjoyed the world building, and the characters. It was just so long, and all the details crammed into the pages made it go even longer. I kind of wish there was a condensed version, and yet if there was a condensed version I feel like you'd be missing out on some sub plots and texts. I actually continued reading three more in this series before I got frustrated with the slow plot.

It is definitely an epic read, and I can see why some people love it. It has some fantastic sub plots and world building. But definitely a time investment for anyone who wants to read it. ( )
  CrissyMoss | Aug 14, 2016 |
Read this one quite some time ago. I remember being unimpressed. It went on forever with typical-feeling fantasy action and rather flat characters. I didn't continue with the rest of this epic series after the first. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Aug 4, 2016 |
I tried to like this. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
When I saw that this book had about 700 pages with 13 other books in the series of a similar size I knew I had to read it and I was not disappointed. The book is pretty slow to get going and has a lot of similarities to The Lord of the Rings. However as it progresses it begins to work with things The Lord of the Rings never did. Most of the characters were really interesting and many matured a lot through out the story. There were some that I wish had been grown a bit more, but there are thirteen other books for them to do so. The three main male characters are fairly similar in the beginning, but towards the end they are established as very different people with different skills and abilities. Also in this book there are several strong female main characters (something that The Lord of the Rings lacked). Overall I really liked this book and plan on getting the second. Assuming the rest of the books in the series are just as good I will read them all. ( )
  RickyHaas | Jul 25, 2016 |
This was my favourite series throughout my teenage years. Have probably read this one upward of 5 times. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 3, 2016 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. [Prologue]
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. [Chapter One]

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible