The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

11,148200251 (4.02)2 / 295
Member:TurtleStampede
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:My Library

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (196)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (200)
I have read this book 3 times now, and each time I have liked it exponentially more. Maybe it's because I'm finally starting to get a grasp on all of the characters. Or maybe it's because there is so much going on that you discover tons of new stuff during each re-read. Whatever the reason, I am quite glad that I decided to take on the series again so that I could be completely prepared for the final book.

I didn't realize that so many major characters were introduced in this first book. In fact, I think it's safe to say that every character that is so much as looked at or spoken of will show up again later, and probably as a major character. I was also surprised by how much the Emond's Fielders changed during the course of one book—there isn't this much character development in the rest of the books.

I wish that I could have seen more of the story through Moiraine's and Lan's eyes, however. After reading New Spring, my perspective on them goes beyond the Dumbledore/Gandalf fountains of wisdom. They are real people who have dedicated their lives to finding and guiding the Dragon Reborn. I wonder when Moiraine figured out that Rand was "the one," and what she really thought of the other Emond's Fielders. And I want to know what was going through Lan's head when he fell in love with Nyneave. Ah—their romance is definitely the best in all of fantasy. Sigh.

There's a quote on the back cover of my dog-eared and mold-encrusted book that sums up the awesomeness of this particular novel: "Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World proves that there's still plenty of life in the ancient tradition of epic fantasy. Jordan has a powerful vision of good and evil—but what strikes me as most pleasurable about The Eye of the World is all the fascinating people moving through a rich and interesting world." Spoken by none other than Orson Scott Card. There are some distinct Lord of the Rings elements, but Jordan definitely has enough of an imagination to stray from that prototype. Later on, the series lags a bit (okay, a LOT) because Jordan doesn't quite seem to know where he is going with it. However, the first book is entertaining, intense, heart-wrenching, and exciting. Everything a fantasy novel should be. I am glad that I was one of the millions to get caught up in the Wheel of Time.

However, if Moiraine says "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills" one more time, I might have to shoot her. And this time, she really will die. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |
Despite a friend warning me that I should not read these books, and that I would find an author that seems to be discovering himself for the first time, I worked through it, and I thought it was great.

Immediately, the book felt very much like a Lord of the Rings, in that we have a rag-tag "fellowship" out to save the world from "The Dark One". There is a master witch, capable of wielding the One Power, much like Gandolf. There are 3 boys from a backwards country that aren't exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, nor the most skilled. Lan the Warder, could have been a king, but decided to stray away from that path to fight the Dark One. So much of it seems so heavily influenced by the J.R.R. Tolkien.

However, there were fantastic differences. The different ajah of the Aes Sedai order (I guess this could be similar enough to Radagast the Brown, Gandalf the Gray, and Saruman the White), but the fact that they are human, female, many per ajah, and generally feared instead of respected was enough to set them apart. Of course, instead of taking a ring to destruction, they are out to pick a fight and save the world. Perrin, one of the 3 country boys (like a hobbit) learns that he has the capability to telepathically communicate with wolves. Rand carries a "heron marked blade", which has some exceptional history with blademasters, and Mat rides the razor's edge of becoming a Darkfriend with carrying a tainted dagger.

I found the magic system to be thoroughly thought through, the character development very well done with several characters, and the world building intriguing (especially with the Green Man). The pacing could use some work though, and that's what really is hard to get through. Some chapters really kept me hooked, while others I kept falling asleep to. As a whole, the story did run long, and really that's what is keeping it from being 5 stars for me.

I can see why people enjoy this series, however. It's a great read. ( )
1 vote atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
This is the first volume of the massive series the Wheel of Time (14 volumes!). Though I've read it once before, I did not continue reading the series. I've decided to give this another try now that the writing is complete and I picked up the audio version. It took a bit of getting used to the voice, but I finally decided that it suits the narrative. There are some chapters told from a female perspective that are read by a female voice. I liked that.

The book starts out by introducing us to the central cast of figures: a group of young people - male and female - from a small town in the backcountry of Andor. Winter should be over by then and it is time for spring festival. Everybody a gathers in town and the peddler arrives as every year. But all is not as it should be. The winter does not want to break and there are unexpected visitors in town. Strange creature out of legend attack and our group of young men seems to be their target. This triggers their departure and the ensuing adventures to head off the dark forces. The group is split into different groups for a while, which allows for telling from different perspectives and introduces different fates for the protagonists.

There are strong parallels to Tolkien in some of the creatures and concepts introduced. This is irritating at times, but there is also enough originality here to make it interesting. Also the story has a distinctly different voice and significantly more room is given to female characters. The pace is also somewhat faster than that of Tolkien. It is a promising start into the series and there is room for further adventures. This being the first book in a long series, one would not expect it to be a story that stands on its own. But actually the story is nicely complete. Though it does end with teasers hinting at more to come, it does not end in the middle of things.
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
This was my first introduction into epic fantasy (quite a few years ago now), and I am absolutely obsessed with it!

Haven't read it yet? Stop reading this review. Immediately. Get in your car. Go buy this book. Better yet, buy it online. Have it sent directly to your e-reader. Read it cover to cover without stopping. Go! What are you waiting for!?

I know some people say, "Oh look, Jordan copied Tolkien. Good for him." Frankly, I find that take near-sighted. Are LOTR and WOT both epic fantasies with magnificent world building? Yep. That's where the similarities end. These are two totally (both awesome!) different worlds.

I have read the series all the way through three times now, and can honestly say that I never want it to end. Ever. I was so crushed the first time I finished the series -- morose for days! I'm sure I was unbearable to be around.

Ah! The feels! Please go read this. I doubt you'll regret it -- until the end that is. Then you will regret that there aren't more books for you to read! ( )
  Raeleigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
One of the most popular fantasy series of all time and I have never read it. Well, at least I can claim to have read the first volume now. This book was written before the advent of "grim dark" gritty fantasy by [a:George R.R. Martin|346732|George R.R. Martin|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351944410p2/346732.jpg], [a:Joe Abercrombie|276660|Joe Abercrombie|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1207149426p2/276660.jpg] etc., so even the foulest villain never do any effing and blinding, they don't torture people with knives, cut off any limbs, or break wind. They do some torturing by magic but that does not quite have the same stomach churning effect. So The Eye of the World is old school epic fantasy, with painstaking world building, maps, swords, sorcery, mighty heroes, magical beasties and such. All the classic fantasy tropes are there and generally put to good use.

Characterization is quite important in fantasy sagas because the readers have to follow the central characters for multiple books. Robert Jordan was aware of this and he made the effort to create interesting and believable characters. However, I feel he was only partially successful here. Most of the book's narrative is told from the point of view of Rand, another unfortunate young farmboy to have greatness and chosen-one-ness thrust upon him. I suppose you could also say he is one of a Chosen Three, though he is clearly at the forefront. He strikes me as very Luke Skywalkerish, Frodoish and even Harry Potteresque (in all fairness this book predates Harry Potter by many years). I find Rand to be rather generic and bland to begin with, by the end of the book he is still rather generic though perhaps a little less bland.

I have read many criticisms of Robert Jordan's portrayal of female characters and some of it is understandable, though the girls tend to be more lively than the boys at the cost of often becoming shrill and irritating. The main problem with the characters in this book may be that each one seems to be defined by one quirk, they do not seem to do anything unpredictable or out of character. The cool characters like Moiraine and her Warder 'Lan are indeed pretty cool, but they never ever take a break from being cool and have a laugh like normal people.

There is also an issue of silly names, I am not keen on the "trollocs", I imagine in a parallel universe a troll fantasy author would write a version of this same book where the trolls are the good guys and the "humanocs" are low ranking evil minions. Worse still, there is an evil being called "Mordeth", surely not a name to inspire confidence, and he is even described as being a suspicious and ratty looking little mofo. This does not stop our young heroes from placing their complete trust in him. Would they have been more wary if his name was Killyoasstonedead? I guess a villain named Nicecuppatea can get away with just about anything.

The pacing of the book is mostly fine, but in the middle of the book where the main characters are split into three groups (or pairs), the primary pair of Rand and Mat go on a rather repetitious and interminable adventure. The other two groups fare much better though. The magic part of it is thoughtfully employed, so suspension of disbelieve is not too hard, though the magical showdown at the climax is a little pedestrian. The prose style is readable though I did not notice anything that I could quote at parties in an attempt to sound sage.

In spite of all my gripes the book is quite enjoyable, I think fans of old school epic fantasy will have a field day. I am not sure I will read any more from this series, it is not really my cup of tea.
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. [Prologue]
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. [Chapter One]

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible