The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time,…

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1) (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Robert Jordan

11,287204248 (4.02)2 / 298
Member:TurtleStampede
Title:The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1990), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 832 pages
Collections:My Library

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (1990)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (chaos012)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Anonymous user)
    Magician by Raymond E. Feist (scribeswindow)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy with plenty of twisty prophecies and depth to speculate on, for those who enjoyed that in the Wheel of Time series.
    Hunter's Oath by Michelle West (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Epic fantasy that breaks out of the Tolkien mold more than the Wheel of Time, but retains the large cast, the mythic overtones, and the vast worldbuilding.
    Dune by Frank Herbert (LaPhenix)
    LaPhenix: Another messiah story drawing inspiration from similar sources.
    Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (alcc)

English (200)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (204)
Well it is one of those perfect book which gives you the chance to leave earth for some days as you go on reading, in fact you don't read you just go with these nice people, you discover a new world, you could wish it never stop, but it does! and it dos not! it goes on for several other tomes! but it does when the author dies; and you are afraid you'll never know the end! but you probably will!
Never begin these kind of fantasy books, you'll love it and also you will sometimes feel there is too much money to make with sequels, but you can forgive Jordan, since he has given you so much reason to admire and love his work! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Fairly standard epic fantasy that does improve a bit as it progresses. The initial set-up is very contrived and unlikely though and that hinders much of the early plot. Characterisation and world-building could also be improved. The narrative voice jumps about a bit, especially later on, and this is confusing and distracting without adding anything to the story. Death is poorly handled, with only one minor bit-part succumbing despite that vast amounts of enemies thrown at the heroes. And as is frequently the case with mediocre fantasy there is no explanation or motivation for the 'evil' the pervades the land, it just is because it can. The basic premise of a cyclical Age where many of the same characters meet again and again in similar circumstances is another widely used trope (although I'm not sure who was first but I think Eddings pre-dated this), and doesn't add anything to the originality of the world. However the magic system seems to work quite well, and it's good to have a few powerful women around who can hold their own.

When unusual strangers come to a backwoods shepherd's village far on the edges of civilisation, trouble and destruction are sure to follow. Unsurprisingly to anyone at all, except the lads in question, it appears that some of the youths have more complicated back-grounds than they expected, and so they all end up in a big group travelling off to find their destinies pursued by various things that are hunting for them to turn the destiny the other way. Which is quite a mangling of the common sense of the word destiny. They pass through several places of no significance or history which is lucky because the evil things destroy them. They do a lot of travelling and eventually have a big fight. No-one of importance dies.

All of the marketing comparisons to Tolkein are inapt. Other than it's an epic fantasy, the style world-building grandeur, plot and characters are vastly weaker.

I have gone on to read the 2nd one though. ( )
  reading_fox | Mar 7, 2016 |
A bunch of naive farm boys get embroiled in a quest, complete with doomed love, reincarnation, and a vast, overpowering evil. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Rating the series as a whole, because I can't remember them individually without reading them again. Originally read the early ones in 2007, then the whole series in 2009.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I have read this book 3 times now, and each time I have liked it exponentially more. Maybe it's because I'm finally starting to get a grasp on all of the characters. Or maybe it's because there is so much going on that you discover tons of new stuff during each re-read. Whatever the reason, I am quite glad that I decided to take on the series again so that I could be completely prepared for the final book.

I didn't realize that so many major characters were introduced in this first book. In fact, I think it's safe to say that every character that is so much as looked at or spoken of will show up again later, and probably as a major character. I was also surprised by how much the Emond's Fielders changed during the course of one book—there isn't this much character development in the rest of the books.

I wish that I could have seen more of the story through Moiraine's and Lan's eyes, however. After reading New Spring, my perspective on them goes beyond the Dumbledore/Gandalf fountains of wisdom. They are real people who have dedicated their lives to finding and guiding the Dragon Reborn. I wonder when Moiraine figured out that Rand was "the one," and what she really thought of the other Emond's Fielders. And I want to know what was going through Lan's head when he fell in love with Nyneave. Ah—their romance is definitely the best in all of fantasy. Sigh.

There's a quote on the back cover of my dog-eared and mold-encrusted book that sums up the awesomeness of this particular novel: "Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World proves that there's still plenty of life in the ancient tradition of epic fantasy. Jordan has a powerful vision of good and evil—but what strikes me as most pleasurable about The Eye of the World is all the fascinating people moving through a rich and interesting world." Spoken by none other than Orson Scott Card. There are some distinct Lord of the Rings elements, but Jordan definitely has enough of an imagination to stray from that prototype. Later on, the series lags a bit (okay, a LOT) because Jordan doesn't quite seem to know where he is going with it. However, the first book is entertaining, intense, heart-wrenching, and exciting. Everything a fantasy novel should be. I am glad that I was one of the millions to get caught up in the Wheel of Time.

However, if Moiraine says "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills" one more time, I might have to shoot her. And this time, she really will die. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 2, 2016 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staffilano, Gaetano LuigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

(from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,
The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
And it came to pass in those days, as it had come before and would come again, that the Dark lay heavy on the land and weighed down the hearts of men, and the green things failed, and hope died. And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the prophecies, as he was in ages past and will be in ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
(from Charal Drianaan te Calamon,
The Cycle of the Dragon.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age)
To Harriet
Heart of my heart,
Light of my life,
Forever
The palace still shook occasionally as the earth rumbled in memory, groaned as if it would deny what had happened. [Prologue]
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of the Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginning nor endings to turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. [Chapter One]

Колелото на времето се върти и вековете идват и си отиват, оставяйки спомени, които се превръщат в легенди. Легендите заглъхват в мит и дори митът отдавна е забравен, когато породилият го век се върне отново. В Третия век, Века на Пророчеството, на косъм висят самият Свят и самото Време. Онова, което е било, което ще бъде и което е, може да падне под властта на Сянката.
The Fade on his horse /
The trollocs crash winternight /
Ba'alzamon‎'s eyes (davidwil)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812511816, Mass Market Paperback)

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:15 -0400)

In the Third Age, an age of prophecy when the world and time themselves hang in the balance, the Dark One, imprisoned by the Creator, is stirring in Shayol Ghul.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible