Cunt: A Declaration of Independence Expanded…

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence Expanded and Updated Second Edition (original 1998; edition 2002)

by Inga Muscio

Member:UofI_LGBT_RC
Title:Cunt: A Declaration of Independence Expanded and Updated Second Edition
Authors:Inga Muscio
Info:Seal Press (2002), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Psychology, Philosophy, Queer Theory, Your library
Tags:Psychology, Philosophy, Queer Theory

Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio (1998)

Originally posted here

I have no doubt that this book inspired some people whilst reading. I am not one of those people. Inga Muscio's particular style of feminism is unique to say the least. Sadly, there is not much to offer anyone who does not subscribe to the 'Goddess' or rejects anything written, invented or created by men. I am sure I am not alone in saying that I do not want to use a washable sea sponge as an alternative to a tampon and I definitely do not want to swap adhesive pads for a 'blood towel' tied around my waist.

There are a few good points raised by Muscio that were interesting and thought provoking but on the whole I found her radical feminism a bit aggressive and dated. The idea that an enlightened woman should not use any form of contraception apart from condoms (because they are made by men for men so are okay), and then subsequently 'will' away unwanted pregnancies is just insanity. The graphic description of the author's abortions nauseated me badly and I wish I was given a warning beforehand.

In the revised second edition, there is a massive info dump at the end where Muscio attempts to include all of the social issues that have ever existed that she forgot to mention in the first edition of her book. The origin and etymology of the word 'cunt' is never really explored or addressed satisfactorily which is a shame because that could have been fascinating. A disappointing and bizarre read, I don't recommend it. ( )
  4everfanatical | Apr 26, 2016 |
Read the original version shortly after it was released and remember loving it so much. Traded that version in when this expanded/upgraded version came out and re-read it, again loving it. Somewhere between then and now, my views changed. As I re-read it now, I find myself cringing. Yes, it's still relevant because not much has changed (and is getting even worse than when it was written), but I much prefer a more academic study than this, which is highly personal and mostly opinion based on personal experiences (none of which I have experienced). The author seems to contradict herself often which makes me question her p.o.v. on just about everything (which I didn't pick up on the first few readings). I'm pro-choice, but 3 abortions with the same boyfriend because you are afraid of taking pills (while wishing only the worst on men who don't respect you by wearing condoms) is plain ignorance and irresponsibility. Identifying as a lesbian since age early grade school but, given the above and the desire to sleep with other men, maybe "queer" or "bi" would make the p.o.v. clearer. If the power of thought could cause an abortion, why couldn't it prevent a pregnancy? If you hate rape scenes in movies, refuse to watch, and advocate staging walk-outs, why in the world would you read books and watch movies with brutal rape scenes (written by a man) and then encourage a friend to watch the movie without a warning about the rape scenes (which apparently you knew would be a trigger)? Lastly, the statement, "We all have cunts, and it does not matter if they are biological, surgical or metaphorical" made me pause, especially in hindsight, because the vast majority of the topics deal with biological cunts with little-to-no mention of surgical ones and absolutely no mention of metaphorical. ( )
  seongeona | Mar 28, 2016 |
Really love this book! Women will relate to the anger and the humor. ( )
  Mistress_Harley | Nov 28, 2015 |
I learned a lot from this book; most importantly, that etymologically, "vagina" is derived from a term that means "sheath for a sword." So, as Inga Muscio puts it, "I ain't got no vagina." And I've since made it my personal mission in life to get people to stop saying "vagina" and start saying "cunt"; especially men who are terrified to utter the word for fear of having one ripped into them by a nearby offended female. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

Inga Muscioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dodson, BettyForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In Loving Dedication:

To everyone with a cunt

Especially, She who persuaded me from Hers:

my Sacred Mother

I thank you for giving me life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,662,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible