Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce
    Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (magelet87)
    magelet87: Not only do both have fantasy elements, they are written by authors who are wonderful and brilliant. They write strong female characters who are kick-@ss; who dont need saving. They do a most of the saving, in fact. Also, both books are GLBT inclusive. Magic, wonderful creatures, strong, independent young women who dont accept the hand they are dealt in life, so they set about to change their place in the world. In fact, this description can work for any book by either author.… (more)
    Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)

In Terrier, Beka Cooper completes Puppy training and in Bloodhound, she's now a certified Dog (although a junior member of the Provost's Guard). Beka's just been turned back over to the Dogs who trained her, Clara Goodwin and Matthias Tunstall, because she can't seem to hold on to a Dog partner of her own.(she's just too intense). After a Food riot leaves Tunstall with his legs broken and healing in bed, Beka and Goodwin follow the trail of a counterfeiter to Port Caynn. I loved the world crafting by Tamora Pierce and appreciated the change of scenery in Bloodhound. Tamora Pierce has created such a vivid fantasy realm of Totall and now get to explore Port Caynn, as we did with Beka's home of Corus.

A bit more romance is thrown our way in this book and it was nice to see Beka remember that while she's a Dog first, she's also a woman who can enjoy a little attention. To that end, we actually get to see a lot of character growth in Beka. Where once she was so shy and could barely speak to strangers, now she's more comfortable in her own skin. She still makes some stupid rookie mistakes and admits them to Clara, but she's grown into a pretty confident Dog.
There's a killer mystery going on in this book along with a villain we can all love to hate, and a dog (Achoo Culeypaws, a scent hound) that Beka takes on as it's handler. I certainly liked Bloodhound even better than Terrier and I know Beka's life's about to change in significant ways. I finished Bloodhound and already I can't wait for the next book in the Beka Cooper series, Mastiff. ( )
  urph818 | Nov 25, 2016 |
Beka Cooper is one of the coolest girls I know. Or have read about. Whatever. She is great at her job, even if she's still learning. She has special skills, and she's learning how to be an independent police/watch officer. I liked that this book showed Beka as a person with feelings more than just sadness and anger. I love Goodwin. She is someone to aspire to be. Beka and Goodwin make a good team. They are going after conterfeiters in a town even less friendly to the police than Corus. Great. But Beka and Goodwin are up to it. And Achoo. Can't forget about Achoo the awesome scent hound. Achoo is truly the hero of the book. I like that we get to watch the characters outside their comfort zones. I like that the stakes of this book were quite different. but just as dire as the first book. People aren't being killed by some Shadow Snake, but the fate of the economy and everyone's jobs are on the line. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
This is tough for me but sadly I'm giving this book only 2 out of 5 stars.

I had so much trouble getting through this book if you couldn't tell by the huge gap between the last review and this one. I confess I skimmed through the last quarter of it because I just couldn't do it anymore. I have so many other books on my to read it seemed like such a waste to try and muck about with this one longer. This is sad to me because I so badly wanted to love these books as much as I loved Pierce's other Tortall books but alas it was not meant to be. I still have the third and final one left but I am going to put off trying to start that one for a while and hope that is better than the other two.

This book was slow and plodding. The crime/mystery wasn't nearly as interesting as the first books and it was really predictable. Now to be fair I am not a fan of mysteries. Her previous books were more fantasy and this seems more like a mystery series then a fantasy one. So if you are into mysteries you might feel 100% different about the whole thing then I did.

The other issue is, again, the diary format. Diary format is a really really tough one to pull of successfully especially in a novel that requires a lot of world building. It is hard to make the reader believe the diary format when so much has to be recorded. As it was all the characters except Achoo, the scent hound, fell totally flat. Even Pounce wasn't very good in the places he was in. There are also gaps between the two. For example in the first novel it is played as though no one but Beka can hear Pounce but in the second one he is talking to everyone pretty much even those who aren't that close to Beka but that seemingly isn't very surprising to any of them. Personally I'd be a little more shocked if I heard my cat talking in my head suddenly. Another example is in the first novel she wasn't able to really communicate with the pigeons ghost's. Beka could hear them but not talk to any of them except for the ghost of the child she knew and that was with some difficulty. All of a sudden in the second books she converses with all the ghosts with ease.

I really don't know what else to say about this book. I might recommend it to those who like mysteries but, unfortunately, that isn't me at all. Personally I would more highly recommend just skipping the Beka Cooper series and reading the other ones in the Tortall series. ( )
  Alexis_D. | Sep 23, 2016 |
This book captured my attention from the beginning. Beka is back with her cat Pounce, her two idols Tunstall & Goodwin & is on another adventure.
Goodwin, Becca, Becca's scent hound Achoo & Slapper are off to Port Caynn on a secret mission to find out who the colemonger is before false silver coins get out of hand and panic sets in as prices are raised for food. She makes friends with people while there and some enemies, including the Rogue Pearl.
Something sinister is going on at Port Caynn and Becca is determined to get to the bottom of things, even if that means having to go through the sewers.
She learns some hard lessons and is nearly locked away but some allies come to her rescue & she finds that it will take more than herself & Achoo to nab the colemonger.
This book was full of adventure, laughter, mystery and fun. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book as things ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
Beka Cooper is now a full member of the Provost's Guard, who are charged with keeping the peace and upholding the King's laws. But after a terrible injury, she's sent to Port Caynn, to keep out of the way of her enemies and find out where the counterfeit silver coins flooding Tortall are coming from. At the port, she finds that the guards are led by an ineffectual and cowardly man (Alanna's ancestor!) and the port's Rogue is greedy and selfish, even by criminals' standards.

The writing is noticably smoother and a tad more grownup than in [b:Terrier|13829|Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)|Tamora Pierce|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320532506s/13829.jpg|3056999]. This series isn't my favorite of Pierce's, and I don't like that Beka keeps getting these nicknames ("Terrier", "Bloodhound") from the common folk for her work on a single case. She's impressively dogged in her work, but to the extent that people whisper her name as she goes past? Plus, I want a little less attention paid to Beka's eating habits (I know what she has for every single meal, every single day) and a little more to her police work. I think my real problem is just that I started reading the Tortall books when I was a tween, and it's hard to remember that I've grown up and they're still written for a young audience. I need to manage my expectations, I suppose. That said, these are good ya books, with a solid cast set in a country that makes sense (Pierce has thought about how the sewers are built, and who supplies the food to where, and how the guilds work, and all those earthy details that most fantasy writers sidestep). And when the action gets moving, these books are un-put-downable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want to dedicate this long-delayed second volume of
Beka's adventures to my assistants,
Sara Alan and Cara Coville.
I think that without them
I might have gone just plain nuts.
I would also like to dedicate this book to
Joel Sweifach, my first accountant.
Joel, you kept my ship afloat!
Thursday, September 6, 247 H.E. I should have known tonight's watch would kiss the mule's bum when Sergeant Ahuda stopped me after baton training.

Beka Cooper is finally a Dog—a full-fledged member of the Provost’s Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus’s streets. But there’s unrest in Tortall’s capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn. In Port Caynn, Beka delves deep into the gambling world, where she meets a charming banking clerk named Dale Rowan. Beka thinks she may be falling for Rowan, but she won’t let anything—or anyone—jeopardize her mission. As she heads north to an abandoned silver mine, it won’t be enough for Beka be her usual “terrier” self. She’ll have to learn from Achoo to sniff out the criminals—to be a Bloodhound. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible