Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

Description: Beka Cooper is finally a Dog—a full-fledged member of the Provost’s Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus’s streets. But there’s unrest in Tortall’s capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn. In Port Caynn, Beka delves deep into the gambling world, where she meets a charming banking clerk named Dale Rowan. Beka thinks she may be falling for Rowan, but she won’t let anything—or anyone—jeopardize her mission. As she heads north to an abandoned silver mine, it won’t be enough for Beka be her usual “terrier” self. She’ll have to learn from Achoo to sniff out the criminals—to be a Bloodhound. . . .

Thoughts: I still enjoy Beka and her friends but this story was a little less fulfilling than the first. The hunt just seemed a bit too forced. I loved the bits with Dale and Hans and Okha. Still decent but a little stale.

Susan Denekar's narration has really grown on me. I think she's the best narration so far, and one of the series was a Full Cast reading! She's got a bit of Katherine Kellgren's ear for accents and makes her characters nice and distinct.

Rating: 3.58

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5197980 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
Beka Cooper is now a full member of the Provost's Guard and she has burned through several partners, she wants to be an active constable but several of the people working with her are quite reluctant to be active. She also ends up with a scent hound, Achoo, who has been abused by her current handler. Counterfeit silver coins have been found and she is caught up in an investigation about it that will take her to Port Caynn and an adventure that will stretch her abilities.

It's an interesting series, I like Beka and it's interesting to see her grow. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 5, 2015 |
Listened to the audiobook. Same reader as Book #1, just as excellent in Book #2!

Enjoyed this quite a lot, though I missed those characters from book 1 who were mostly absent here. Very much looking forward to book 3.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want to dedicate this long-delayed second volume of
Beka's adventures to my assistants,
Sara Alan and Cara Coville.
I think that without them
I might have gone just plain nuts.
I would also like to dedicate this book to
Joel Sweifach, my first accountant.
Joel, you kept my ship afloat!
Thursday, September 6, 247 H.E. I should have known tonight's watch would kiss the mule's bum when Sergeant Ahuda stopped me after baton training.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

Educators and librarians, for a variety of teaching tools, visit us at www.randomhouse.com/teachers

Random House Children's Books supports the First Amendment and celebrates the right to read.

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,416,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible