Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

This book captured my attention from the beginning. Beka is back with her cat Pounce, her two idols Tunstall & Goodwin & is on another adventure.
Goodwin, Becca, Becca's scent hound Achoo & Slapper are off to Port Caynn on a secret mission to find out who the colemonger is before false silver coins get out of hand and panic sets in as prices are raised for food. She makes friends with people while there and some enemies, including the Rogue Pearl.
Something sinister is going on at Port Caynn and Becca is determined to get to the bottom of things, even if that means having to go through the sewers.
She learns some hard lessons and is nearly locked away but some allies come to her rescue & she finds that it will take more than herself & Achoo to nab the colemonger.
This book was full of adventure, laughter, mystery and fun. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book as things ended on a bit of a cliffhanger. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
Beka Cooper is now a full member of the Provost's Guard, who are charged with keeping the peace and upholding the King's laws. But after a terrible injury, she's sent to Port Caynn, to keep out of the way of her enemies and find out where the counterfeit silver coins flooding Tortall are coming from. At the port, she finds that the guards are led by an ineffectual and cowardly man (Alanna's ancestor!) and the port's Rogue is greedy and selfish, even by criminals' standards.

The writing is noticably smoother and a tad more grownup than in [b:Terrier|13829|Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)|Tamora Pierce|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320532506s/13829.jpg|3056999]. This series isn't my favorite of Pierce's, and I don't like that Beka keeps getting these nicknames ("Terrier", "Bloodhound") from the common folk for her work on a single case. She's impressively dogged in her work, but to the extent that people whisper her name as she goes past? Plus, I want a little less attention paid to Beka's eating habits (I know what she has for every single meal, every single day) and a little more to her police work. I think my real problem is just that I started reading the Tortall books when I was a tween, and it's hard to remember that I've grown up and they're still written for a young audience. I need to manage my expectations, I suppose. That said, these are good ya books, with a solid cast set in a country that makes sense (Pierce has thought about how the sewers are built, and who supplies the food to where, and how the guilds work, and all those earthy details that most fantasy writers sidestep). And when the action gets moving, these books are un-put-downable. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I really loved this book and I am not sure how to explain why. Beka is back but this time she is a full fledged Dog. She does seem to be having trouble finding a partner, so she once again is partnered with Goodwin and Tunstall. Someone is pouring coles (counterfit money) into the money stream and Goodwin and Beka are off to investigate. In this volume Beka gets involved in a romance and it is interesting to see how she handles it. The mystery story in this one is sooo exciting, and I really thought I knew who the counterfiter was (my motive was correct but the specific persone was not). I ended up reading the last two hundred pages in one sitting. It is really interesting to see Beka evolve. In the last book she could barely speak in front of anyone, in this book you see her learning that some times it helps to play a part, or "act the outfit" for lack of a better term. I did miss alot of the regular characters although there is plenty of hinting that Beka may be caught in her loyalties between Rosto and the Dogs. ( )

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want to dedicate this long-delayed second volume of
Beka's adventures to my assistants,
Sara Alan and Cara Coville.
I think that without them
I might have gone just plain nuts.
I would also like to dedicate this book to
Joel Sweifach, my first accountant.
Joel, you kept my ship afloat!
Thursday, September 6, 247 H.E. I should have known tonight's watch would kiss the mule's bum when Sergeant Ahuda stopped me after baton training.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

Educators and librarians, for a variety of teaching tools, visit us at www.randomhouse.com/teachers

Random House Children's Books supports the First Amendment and celebrates the right to read.

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Beka Cooper is finally a Dog—a full-fledged member of the Provost’s Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus’s streets. But there’s unrest in Tortall’s capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn. In Port Caynn, Beka delves deep into the gambling world, where she meets a charming banking clerk named Dale Rowan. Beka thinks she may be falling for Rowan, but she won’t let anything—or anyone—jeopardize her mission. As she heads north to an abandoned silver mine, it won’t be enough for Beka be her usual “terrier” self. She’ll have to learn from Achoo to sniff out the criminals—to be a Bloodhound. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,899,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible