Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Beka has survived her Puppy year and is now a full-fledged Dog, but her vehement passion for chasing down every criminal that comes in her path has made it difficult to hang on to a partner. However, she has managed to acquire Achoo, a scent hound. When signs of colemongering (counterfeiting) arise in the city, Beka and Goodwin are sent to another city up the coast to investigate. What they quickly discover is that the colemongering operation is far worse than even they could imagine.

An excellent second entry in the series, I continued to enjoy Beka's adventures. With a fantastic mix of fantasy and mystery, the novel moves along at a steady pace. In moving the central character from her home city to another city gives the opportunity of encountering a diverse cast of new characters who are all intriguing. It also gives Beka the chance to grow as a character, not only in her career but as a person. The novel also does a great job of setting up the political implications of the central mystery and not just focusing on the counterfeiting itself. I really look forward to finding out how the arc resolves itself in the third novel. ( )
  MickyFine | Feb 12, 2014 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want to dedicate this long-delayed second volume of
Beka's adventures to my assistants,
Sara Alan and Cara Coville.
I think that without them
I might have gone just plain nuts.
I would also like to dedicate this book to
Joel Sweifach, my first accountant.
Joel, you kept my ship afloat!
Thursday, September 6, 247 H.E. I should have known tonight's watch would kiss the mule's bum when Sergeant Ahuda stopped me after baton training.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

Educators and librarians, for a variety of teaching tools, visit us at www.randomhouse.com/teachers

Random House Children's Books supports the First Amendment and celebrates the right to read.

The first printing line is: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Beka Cooper is finally a Dog—a full-fledged member of the Provost’s Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus’s streets. But there’s unrest in Tortall’s capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn. In Port Caynn, Beka delves deep into the gambling world, where she meets a charming banking clerk named Dale Rowan. Beka thinks she may be falling for Rowan, but she won’t let anything—or anyone—jeopardize her mission. As she heads north to an abandoned silver mine, it won’t be enough for Beka be her usual “terrier” self. She’ll have to learn from Achoo to sniff out the criminals—to be a Bloodhound. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:15 -0400)

Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,356,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible