Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Working on
Rating:****1/2
Tags:__scan_cover, _import170521, !Amazon, !Po, Fic, SF

Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce (2009)

Recently added bySeraphinaTealeaf, rena75, casi13
    Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (magelet87)
    magelet87: Not only do both have fantasy elements, they are written by authors who are wonderful and brilliant. They write strong female characters who are kick-@ss; who dont need saving. They do a most of the saving, in fact. Also, both books are GLBT inclusive. Magic, wonderful creatures, strong, independent young women who dont accept the hand they are dealt in life, so they set about to change their place in the world. In fact, this description can work for any book by either author.… (more)
    Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce (Morteana)

I really loved this second installment of this series! ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Okay, I love Tamora Pierce, She's my absolute FAVE author, inspired me to start writing, etc, etc. I have not met a book by her I didn't like. And I still haven't. I don't NOT like this one... I just don't particularly like it as much as some other books. It's just not the type of book that interests me.
Beka Cooper is George Coopers great-great-great-times-a-lot-of-greats grandmother or something, and it's really ironic, because beka is a 'dog' which is what the police were called back then, and as we all know, George is the King of Thieves. that irony amused me.
beyond that... the story is written like a diary, which is not a style i find enjoyable to read. first person, third person, i'm okay with. diary format? doesn't do it for me. the plot is also a little dry, if you ask me. I got through the first one okay, but i was barely hanging on by the end of this one. I'm not even attempting Mastiff.
sorry, this just isn't my Favorite book of all-time.
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Too wordy at times, Beka gets a little annoying. She's nearly always focused on herself and constantly justifying her feelings/actions. Of course the book is written as her journal, so this makes sense; it just gets tiresome. Little bone to pick: She "beds" Dale and has strong feelings toward him. Two of his closest friends are murdered and she doesn't give him any condolence? That's where her self-focus and self-righteousness got super annoying. She practically lives at her Rogue's house, but Dale doesn't deserve any sympathy because his friends were thieves? ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
With 'Terrier' as a prequel, this story moved along more enjoyably. The investigation into the counterfeit silver coins was a great theme and developed really well. The plot and the characterizations hung together much better in this book. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Nov 7, 2017 |
In Terrier, Beka Cooper completes Puppy training and in Bloodhound, she's now a certified Dog (although a junior member of the Provost's Guard). Beka's just been turned back over to the Dogs who trained her, Clara Goodwin and Matthias Tunstall, because she can't seem to hold on to a Dog partner of her own.(she's just too intense). After a Food riot leaves Tunstall with his legs broken and healing in bed, Beka and Goodwin follow the trail of a counterfeiter to Port Caynn. I loved the world crafting by Tamora Pierce and appreciated the change of scenery in Bloodhound. Tamora Pierce has created such a vivid fantasy realm of Totall and now get to explore Port Caynn, as we did with Beka's home of Corus.

A bit more romance is thrown our way in this book and it was nice to see Beka remember that while she's a Dog first, she's also a woman who can enjoy a little attention. To that end, we actually get to see a lot of character growth in Beka. Where once she was so shy and could barely speak to strangers, now she's more comfortable in her own skin. She still makes some stupid rookie mistakes and admits them to Clara, but she's grown into a pretty confident Dog.
There's a killer mystery going on in this book along with a villain we can all love to hate, and a dog (Achoo Culeypaws, a scent hound) that Beka takes on as it's handler. I certainly liked Bloodhound even better than Terrier and I know Beka's life's about to change in significant ways. I finished Bloodhound and already I can't wait for the next book in the Beka Cooper series, Mastiff. ( )
  urph818 | Nov 25, 2016 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barkat, JonathanCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denaker, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerardi, JanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I want to dedicate this long-delayed second volume of
Beka's adventures to my assistants,
Sara Alan and Cara Coville.
I think that without them
I might have gone just plain nuts.
I would also like to dedicate this book to
Joel Sweifach, my first accountant.
Joel, you kept my ship afloat!
Thursday, September 6, 247 H.E. I should have known tonight's watch would kiss the mule's bum when Sergeant Ahuda stopped me after baton training.

Beka Cooper is finally a Dog—a full-fledged member of the Provost’s Guard, dedicated to keeping peace in Corus’s streets. But there’s unrest in Tortall’s capital. Counterfeit coins are turning up in shops all over the city, and merchants are raising prices to cover their losses. The Dogs discover that gamblers are bringing the counterfeit money from Port Caynn. In Port Caynn, Beka delves deep into the gambling world, where she meets a charming banking clerk named Dale Rowan. Beka thinks she may be falling for Rowan, but she won’t let anything—or anyone—jeopardize her mission. As she heads north to an abandoned silver mine, it won’t be enough for Beka be her usual “terrier” self. She’ll have to learn from Achoo to sniff out the criminals—to be a Bloodhound. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:53 -0400)

Having been promoted from "Puppy" to "Dog," Beka, now a full-fledged member of the Provost's Guard, and her former partner head to a neighboring port city to investigate a case of counterfeit coins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,856,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible