Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

English (103)  French (1)  All languages (104)
***2nd Read***
Buddy Read of Audio with The Hubsters.

I really love this series and I was so thrilled about going through the book again on audio with my husband. This story is the one that sold me on the series. I grew curious about Kate's past with all the teasers included within her dialogue. It's creative, unique, urban fantasy that's filled with witty characters in a fascinating world. What science fiction fan wouldn't be head over heels for this series?

Well, let me tell you. The Husbsters is not amused.

In all fairness, he's had a bad week, he kept falling asleep out of sheer exhaustion, and kept missing critical parts of the story because he had other thing on his mind. sigh Have no fear! He's promised to listen to the first three books before he gives up. Besides, he has that whole "I hate peas in my fried rice" thing in common with Curran. Maybe that will help.

Neither of us care for vampires in fiction, but the way they are portrayed in this series is hilarious. When Ghastek piloted his purple-sunscreen-slathered vamp out in the daylight to assist Kate it was just as funny as the first time.

I personally enjoyed all the Celtic mythology woven into this installment and Bran was an unexpected surprise. My favorite part of the book has to be the way Kate took Julie under her wing. She sees how special Julie is and the attachment or maternal instincts kicked in right away. It's fun to look back after all these books and see how far both Julie and Kate have come.

Oh the things we have to look forward to! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Apr 9, 2016 |
[b:Magic Burns|1811543|Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311280284s/1811543.jpg|1810889] is one of my favorite books of the Kate Daniels series. I think its because I loved Bram, he is one of my favorite characters. Bram is somewhat of an antagonist, or anti-hero and his story is wrapped up in the mythology of Morrigan, a Celtic deity. He has a great personality and is just a lot of fun.

This series has so many great secondary characters. We continue getting to know Derek and Saimon (forgive my spelling of names - I never remember how to spell them names when I listen in audio). Derek has matured quite a bit and things are looking up for him in the pack. And Saimon gets drunk on the magic fluctuations and is even more charmingly cheesy than normal.

Curran is now playing a bigger role in the story, and his intentions toward Kate are becoming more clear - you just have to pay attention to recognize them all. I love the byplay between Kate and Curran, they just can't help trying to get a rise out of one another - but its also clear that feelings are developing between the pair.

We are introduced to some new secondary characters in this installment that will continue to play a role in the future. Kate has acquired a ward, Julie, who seems to inspire the protective instinct from everyone she meets (except her boyfriend, Red). The hyenas solidify themselves here as well - and we are introduced to the hilariously flirty Raphael. These are definitely two to keep an eye on in future books.

The bad thing about re-reading a series that you love is that once you start, you just want to keep going. I can't do that right now because I have ARCs on the blog schedule, so these books will be calling to me until the weekend when I can get back to listening. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Can we take a moment to talk about Bran?

He was nowhere near my favorite character in this book, but he was so freaking meta-narrative that I almost actually no yeah I did actually cry about it.

In his own time and place, in his PROPER NARRATIVE that he feels is owed to him, he is a hero. He defeats all of his enemies and he has all the magic gifts from a powerful witch and he, er, kisses all the wenches.

But you take a hero like that, or even a hero like Cu Culainn, and stick them in a modern narrative (even a magical one) and suddenly they are at best an anti-hero, at worst a villain or a joke. Like, suuuure Bran, nice, you've got a tower of skulls, good for you! Skull towers are of absolutely zero value in modern hero narratives.

Which means Bran has to be a tragedy because he can't possibly meet his own heroic demands unless he completely reinvents himself, but if he did that, he'd be a modern hero and hateful to the demands of HIS PROPER NARRATIVE and UGHHHH I JUST HAVE SO MANY NERDY NARRATIVE FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.

Read these paranormal romances, they said. It'll be cheap easy thrills, they said.

Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
Can we take a moment to talk about Bran?

Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
Well, I've tried two books of the series and I think it's time I admit this isn't a series for me. I can't connect with Kate or really any of the characters.

This is disappointing because this world is really interesting. I like the idea of Magic taking over after too much Technological development. The whole society structure would be really cool but everyone seems so...plain.

Giving this 3 stars because the storyline and world are good. ( )
  nike13 | Mar 10, 2016 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible