Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

English (105)  French (1)  All languages (106)
I read the first last year and greatly enjoyed it. I keep seeing mentions of this series around on Goodreads circles, with comments that this is superior to the original. I have to say I disagree; while I enjoyed this one and can't wait to read the third, I found the first better. This one took longer for met to get into and grasp the story. Once the first half was over, I fell into it much easier and enjoyed the hell out of it.

As always, Curran rocked. The humorous scenes between he and Kate may be the best things about these books. He's a true Alpha male you have to love reading about. Kate is still brash and with a major chip on her shoulder. The courtship ritual that the pack explains to Kate is hilarious and I find the situation between them fascinating, exciting, and addictive.

The introduction of Julie helped. At first I was unsure, as this can make a book sour, but instead when she was added it brought forth some more dimensional aspects of Kate's personality. Bram was great fun, and I loved when the pack was together. Some truly memorable scenes. As always I find Ghastek intriguing, but again after a lengthy scene with him, he's rarely seen or heard from again. It seems that most of the sidekick characters highlight differences they hold from Kate, making it that more enticing to read their scenes together.

The villain was a big bad one as before, and the authors certainly have great talent when it comes to inventing monsters to battle. Introducing the elements of Celtic Mythology was well-done, allowing a small sidestory of some crime research and mystery solving. I do have to say that a lot of it confuses me, however, and that takes me out of the story a bit.

Humor comes naturally to Ilona Andrews, but this is still a gritty and grim read. Action is also something the authors excel out, for any fighting or climactic scene is done brilliantly. The ending was a powerful finish, with a heady rush of both fighting and emotion. I still don't completely get Kate's secret but I enjoy the author not dwelling on it so much to where it becomes obnoxious, while keeping it there to have a plausible plot pitfall that keeps things intriguing. ( )
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Magic Burns
4.5 Stars

An exciting and fast paced plot with well-developed characters and intense world building.

The Kate Daniels books are rapidly becoming my favorite UF series. Kate is a kick-ass heroine who inadvertently finds herself looking out for a young girl whose mother has disappeared. As she follows the bizarre clues, Kate must contend with Celtic Gods and their minions who are determined to gain a foothold on Earth while at the same time fighting her feelings for Curran, the Beast Lord of the shape-shifters.

The post-apocalyptic world established in book #1 is fleshed out more in this installment as magic grows in power due to the Flare, which occurs once every seven years. The dark and gritty descriptions of modern civilization's gradual decay as a result of succumbing to the power of magic are original and absorbing.

The incorporation of entities from Celtic mythology adds an extra layer of suspense to the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the witch coven. While this storyline is exhilarating and action-packed, the resolution is only partially complete as it is never 100% clear what happened to Julie's mother and the other members of her coven. That said, the villains are suitably disgusting and disturbing, and the ultimate confrontation between the forces of good and evil at the climax of the book is well-written and thrilling.

More information is also provided regarding Kate's past and her mother's death but numerous questions remain unanswered, such as the precise origin and nature of her powers and the reasons for her animosity toward Roland (the leader of the People). It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future books.

Finally, the interactions between Kate and Curran are another highlight of the book. The slow build up of tension between them is captivating and their push-pull dynamic is very entertaining - it is great to see the Beast Lord put in his place every so often. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this novel. The story was interesting, I like Kate, and the world is great. I like Kate Daniels and I know that many other readers do not feel the same way. She is an interesting character. Maybe I just trust the authors but I think that she is believable. The plot was very interesting and so much world building was done in this novel. We get to see more of the way things work and more of different kinds of magic. Kate's magic is different but I really felt that I got that more at the end of this novel than from the first one. Witches and shamans are more explored in this novel but whatever Kate's new ward is not explained. Curran was a little funny in this one but he did not mean to be. I like the way that Kate handles him. Yes it could get her killed but she is not going to be afraid of him. I am looking forward to reading the next one.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
***2nd Read***
Buddy Read of Audio with The Hubsters.

I really love this series and I was so thrilled about going through the book again on audio with my husband. This story is the one that sold me on the series. I grew curious about Kate's past with all the teasers included within her dialogue. It's creative, unique, urban fantasy that's filled with witty characters in a fascinating world. What science fiction fan wouldn't be head over heels for this series?

Well, let me tell you. The Husbsters is not amused.

In all fairness, he's had a bad week, he kept falling asleep out of sheer exhaustion, and kept missing critical parts of the story because he had other thing on his mind. sigh Have no fear! He's promised to listen to the first three books before he gives up. Besides, he has that whole "I hate peas in my fried rice" thing in common with Curran. Maybe that will help.

Neither of us care for vampires in fiction, but the way they are portrayed in this series is hilarious. When Ghastek piloted his purple-sunscreen-slathered vamp out in the daylight to assist Kate it was just as funny as the first time.

I personally enjoyed all the Celtic mythology woven into this installment and Bran was an unexpected surprise. My favorite part of the book has to be the way Kate took Julie under her wing. She sees how special Julie is and the attachment or maternal instincts kicked in right away. It's fun to look back after all these books and see how far both Julie and Kate have come.

Oh the things we have to look forward to! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Apr 9, 2016 |
[b:Magic Burns|1811543|Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)|Ilona Andrews|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311280284s/1811543.jpg|1810889] is one of my favorite books of the Kate Daniels series. I think its because I loved Bram, he is one of my favorite characters. Bram is somewhat of an antagonist, or anti-hero and his story is wrapped up in the mythology of Morrigan, a Celtic deity. He has a great personality and is just a lot of fun.

This series has so many great secondary characters. We continue getting to know Derek and Saimon (forgive my spelling of names - I never remember how to spell them names when I listen in audio). Derek has matured quite a bit and things are looking up for him in the pack. And Saimon gets drunk on the magic fluctuations and is even more charmingly cheesy than normal.

Curran is now playing a bigger role in the story, and his intentions toward Kate are becoming more clear - you just have to pay attention to recognize them all. I love the byplay between Kate and Curran, they just can't help trying to get a rise out of one another - but its also clear that feelings are developing between the pair.

We are introduced to some new secondary characters in this installment that will continue to play a role in the future. Kate has acquired a ward, Julie, who seems to inspire the protective instinct from everyone she meets (except her boyfriend, Red). The hyenas solidify themselves here as well - and we are introduced to the hilariously flirty Raphael. These are definitely two to keep an eye on in future books.

The bad thing about re-reading a series that you love is that once you start, you just want to keep going. I can't do that right now because I have ARCs on the blog schedule, so these books will be calling to me until the weekend when I can get back to listening. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,723,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible