Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

English (86)  French (1)  All languages (87)
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating>

First Thought when Finished: Now I see why everyone gushes over this series! Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews caused me to use a good chunk of the credits from Christmas to buy the rest of the series. I will be back to back listening to these suckers!

Quick Thoughts: Story was super strong and I like that we are getting glimpses into different areas of the world. The characters are growing on me but I have a feeling the Kate/Curran dance will be at times infuriating to read.

Audio Thoughts

Narrated By Renée Raudman / Length: 9 hrs and 38 mins

I don't know anyone who has chosen to listen to these regret that decision. Renee really does nail Ilona Andrews writing voice!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Feb 16, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Kate Daniels series. Kate has grown a bit since the first book. She's not as self-destructive or is at least she's trying not to be. Kate has taken on a lot of work for the Order, but is still moonlighting a little for the Mercenary Guild. When the story opens, she's helping Jim out with a guy who is setting things on fire with a salamander. In the middle of the job, Jim gets a call from the Pack and hightails it out of there. Turns out that the Pack was robbed and they hire Kate to help track down the thief. The thief, Bram, has some nifty teleportation skills that keep things pretty amusing. It was fun watching Curran and Jim lose their shit whenever Bram would pop in and out of the room. But other than Bram's hijinks and the introduction of some important characters to the series (i.e. Andrea, Julie, and Raphael) , this book was a little "meh" for me. I still loved it, but I felt like it dragged in a couple of places.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Kate Daniels love the pack and the Beats Lord what more can we say. This is such a great series and I can't get enough of it. I hope the author keeps this series going and she enjoys writing it as much as I enjoy reading it. I love this books as well. ( )
  Aly3636 | Jan 7, 2015 |
I continue to really like this series. Sure, the writing isn't sparkling deathless prose, but it's functional and brings across the voice of the narrator -- very no-nonsense, down to earth, tough-talking woman. What continues to intrigue and please me is the characterisation of Kate: stubborn, pig-headed, yes, but also willing to admit when she's wrong, picking her battles, not afraid to admit when she needs help... Not afraid, even, to admit that she's vulnerable, alone, that she's not entirely happy to be without a partner. At the same time, she isn't overly sentimental about it -- though nor is she rushing into the bed of every guy who smiles at her.

Overall, it's a good balance, to my mind. There's also interesting world building -- the circumstances of the magic waves in Atlanta, the history behind Kate that we don't really get to know yet, the words of power, the different groups of supernaturals... And it's pretty well paced: there were a couple of points where it seemed to stick a bit, but I pretty much read it in one go.

I keep coming to this expecting total bubblegum, but I come away happier than I expected because they dodge so many of my pet peeves and annoyances. ( )
  shanaqui | Nov 23, 2014 |
I'm going to admit here that I didn't particularly like the first Kate Daniels book, and the only reason I continued to read the series is because I bought the first three and fifth books when Borders was going out of business.

That out of the way though, I have to say that Magic Burns exceeded my expectations by quite a lot.

After the first book, I came away with a feeling that I had just seen a play with cardboard cut outs, as opposed to real people. In my head, there was no inflection in the dialogue, no strong relationships developed, not much to keep me going through the book at a decent pace. It was short, which was it's saving grace- at least the author didn't drag out what I considered to not be an amazing plot anyway.

The second book changed quite a bit. I found myself caring more about the characters, caring what happened and sat up until I finished it. There were a few unanswered questions which bugged me, but otherwise, I found this one quite enjoyable. In my opinion, you could probably even skip the first one and start right in on Magic Burns if you wanted, because there isn't too much you'd be missing. The relationships develop far more in books two, and pretty much everybody's role in book one can be explained in a sentence, and the author does a good job of not re-hashing too much, but explaining just enough so the reader isn't confused.

I enjoyed the progression in Kate's and Curran's relationship probably the best of all. I liked the mixed messages he seemed to be sending her, and her confusion over it. It seemed very realistic and like feelings real people might actually have, which is something sometimes lacking in the urban fantasy genre. Just because the characters are "supernatural" doesn't mean they don't have emotions too.

One thing that bugs me is the constant reference to Kate's heritage without much in the way of clues and her greater purpose. She seems to have a life goal, but we don't know much about it, or why she has it, and since all of the people in her life prior to the books starting aren't around, you don't get much background on her except from the minute you walk in. And yet, she is constantly talking about how she can't form relationships because it will get her friends killed, and how she can't let anybody know where she comes from. It comes up often, and without any greater story arc, can get very annoying.

All in all, I found this an enjoyable short read. Obviously nothing too deep or thrilling, but a good distraction for my commute, and I am much more excited to be reading book three now. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:50 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,798,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible