Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

English (88)  French (1)  All languages (89)
4.5 stars. I liked this quite a but better than book one. Curran is great. Just wish we got more if him. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
As this series progresses it improves. I give this book 3.5 stars. The villains are mythological creatures from Irish Celtic Mythology...Morrigan, Morfran, and Branwen. With references to Hecate from the Greek. Illona Andrews novels are like chocolate for frustrated mythology majors.

Rarely have I seen a writer explore the more obscure mythologies and in this amount of detail - in an entertaining action packed urban fantasy. Plus, unlike most, it's not focused on the trite and in my opinion over-used: vampires, werewolves, fairies, zombies, ghosts and demons. Illona Andrews has actually done a bit of research and found new monsters and gods to explore. Not the common Greek/Roman or Judeo/Christian variety.

The characters are richly developed. And various new and interesting female characters are introduced.

* Andrea - a knight of the Order of Merciful Aid, who has her own secret...and is Kate's best friend. She also is quite good with guns.

* Julie - a street kid

* Aunt B - the head of the werehyena

* Raphael - Aunt B's son

* Bran (Branwen)

Meanwhile, we get more information on Kate, what makes her tick, and Curran, Jim, and others.

Kate on behalf of the Pack, hunts down a mysterious bowman who has stolen their survey maps. She discovers a street kid, whose mother has gone missing due to a ritual magic ceremony gone wrong. The mother had joined a coven, which got in over the head. Much chaos ensues.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating>

First Thought when Finished: Now I see why everyone gushes over this series! Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews caused me to use a good chunk of the credits from Christmas to buy the rest of the series. I will be back to back listening to these suckers!

Quick Thoughts: Story was super strong and I like that we are getting glimpses into different areas of the world. The characters are growing on me but I have a feeling the Kate/Curran dance will be at times infuriating to read.

Audio Thoughts

Narrated By Renée Raudman / Length: 9 hrs and 38 mins

I don't know anyone who has chosen to listen to these regret that decision. Renee really does nail Ilona Andrews writing voice!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Feb 16, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Kate Daniels series. Kate has grown a bit since the first book. She's not as self-destructive or is at least she's trying not to be. Kate has taken on a lot of work for the Order, but is still moonlighting a little for the Mercenary Guild. When the story opens, she's helping Jim out with a guy who is setting things on fire with a salamander. In the middle of the job, Jim gets a call from the Pack and hightails it out of there. Turns out that the Pack was robbed and they hire Kate to help track down the thief. The thief, Bram, has some nifty teleportation skills that keep things pretty amusing. It was fun watching Curran and Jim lose their shit whenever Bram would pop in and out of the room. But other than Bram's hijinks and the introduction of some important characters to the series (i.e. Andrea, Julie, and Raphael) , this book was a little "meh" for me. I still loved it, but I felt like it dragged in a couple of places.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Kate Daniels love the pack and the Beats Lord what more can we say. This is such a great series and I can't get enough of it. I hope the author keeps this series going and she enjoys writing it as much as I enjoy reading it. I love this books as well. ( )
  Aly3636 | Jan 7, 2015 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible