Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

Recently added byBJ3568, private library, ChristinaT., jbrkelly, crynski, tmusso, Lauren2013, jimpike69, TheRealJamesI

English (109)  French (1)  All (110)
Magic Burns
4.5 Stars

An exciting and fast paced plot with well-developed characters and intense world building.

The Kate Daniels books are rapidly becoming my favorite UF series. Kate is a kick-ass heroine who inadvertently finds herself looking out for a young girl whose mother has disappeared. As she follows the bizarre clues, Kate must contend with Celtic Gods and their minions who are determined to gain a foothold on Earth while at the same time fighting her feelings for Curran, the Beast Lord of the shape-shifters.

The post-apocalyptic world established in book #1 is fleshed out more in this installment as magic grows in power due to the Flare, which occurs once every seven years. The dark and gritty descriptions of modern civilization's gradual decay as a result of succumbing to the power of magic are original and absorbing.

The incorporation of entities from Celtic mythology adds an extra layer of suspense to the mystery surrounding the disappearance of the witch coven. While this storyline is exhilarating and action-packed, the resolution is only partially complete as it is never 100% clear what happened to Julie's mother and the other members of her coven. That said, the villains are suitably disgusting and disturbing, and the ultimate confrontation between the forces of good and evil at the climax of the book is well-written and thrilling.

More information is also provided regarding Kate's past and her mother's death but numerous questions remain unanswered, such as the precise origin and nature of her powers and the reasons for her animosity toward Roland (the leader of the People). It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future books.

Finally, the interactions between Kate and Curran are another highlight of the book. The slow build up of tension between them is captivating and their push-pull dynamic is very entertaining - it is great to see the Beast Lord put in his place every so often. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
"You will say please before, and thank you after." - Curran

I don't bloody think so. If I were Kate his bits would shrivel up and fall off before I said either. I don't care if he is a hot man who changes into a Lion. With that much ego, his bed does't have any extra room anyway.

With the exception of that ass-tastic comment, the story was another winner. The author does a very good job of stringing out the mystery of just what Kate actually is (I have a pretty good idea, based on a comment in the first book) without beating the reader over the head with "I know something you don't know!" writing.

The plot was good although at least two of the fight scenes lasted longer than my attention span; they were very well written, bringing the reader into the scene wonderfully but there's only just so much fighting I can personally take before I start thinking "somebody die already so we can move on".

The themes didn't feel quite so dark in this one, although some of the dialogue is raw and wow, and avoiding hyena weres seems like a good idea if ever I'm caught in the Andrews' alternate reality. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 13, 2016 |
Much of what I said about the first book still applies. It was gritty and almost too gory at times. This was probably exacerbated by the audiobook. But still. Graphic descriptions abound. I like that we are learning more about the world with each book. It's history, how it fits into our understanding of technology and magic, how the magic itself works, and even the personal history of Kate.

This book involves the search for a missing coven of amateur witches, a weird dude who can teleport, and an epic battle over a little girl and the fate of the world. There is romantic tension and character development. Or at least Kate gets over her almost boyfriend and finds motherly instincts kicking in with the little girl who is the icing factor of the major battle. There are were-creatures and vampires still, with additional magical beings making an appearance and fleshing out the world. Cool. Altogether: enjoyable, I will be continuing the series. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
On my re-read - I bumped this up from a 4 star. Cause I love this series. OMGILOVETHISSERIES

Note to self for when I forget what this one was about since they all mesh together in my head: This is the flare book, with the Irish pantheon, where we meet Julie and Andrea, and most importantly, Bran! ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I'm pacing myself on these books, because the first one was just so very good. And this one was just as good.
Full review ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,834,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible