Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

I’ve reread this book a number of times. I’m drawn not just to the action, humor, mythology and the world that’s been created, but more than that, to the characters and the building relationships. With just this second book, this series became the one where I most eagerly await the next release.

The Pack (shapeshifters) ask Kate for help when a guy who can teleport steals the highly prized, most up-to-date maps that can be found in the area. When trying to track him down she takes on a guardianship role to Julie, a young street girl who is looking for her mother, a coven member who has gone missing. It’s what and who the coven worships that causes the drama as a magic flare is approaching where magic goes nuts and very strange things can and do happen. The stakes are high and there are plenty of detailed fighting scenes.

Kate is a very kick-butt, capable, knowledgeable and likeable heroine who, like Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden character, explains to the reader how things work and why she makes the decisions or takes the actions she does, often with a humorous slant to it. She needs to keep who she is and what she’s capable of doing a secret. And to protect that secret she’d been raised to believe it’s not a good idea to have a friend. But she’s becoming closer to a few characters, especially those in the Pack and with those relationships, also opens herself up to pain and heartache. I love watching this aspect of Kate, who it turns out is a very compassionate person considering her upbringing.

Then there is Curran, the Beast Lord over the Pack. Now there is an interesting relationship. ( )
  dearheart | Feb 27, 2014 |
Series review at Book 4, http://www.librarything.com/review/91592337 . ( )
  lquilter | Jan 7, 2014 |
See my full review at puretextuality.com ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I couldn't even finish this one. I don't know if its the book itself or just the reader of the audiobook. ( )
  LauraBLough | Dec 26, 2013 |
The Good: I'm really loving the dynamic here between Kate and Curran, especially given that Kate is oblivious to everything others notice when it comes to the beast lord. I really liked the magic and mythology in this book as well.

The Bad: The farther I get into this series, the less I like the way vampires are portrayed. Unique is good, but at some point it gets strange and hard to believe. I think I've hit that point. It also felt weird that Katie would take custody of a child as opposed to handing her over completely to someone else. It just didn't feel right for her seeming distance. ( )
  TequilaReader | Nov 30, 2013 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:50 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible