Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) by Ilona…

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Ilona Andrews

1,691914,222 (4.18)64
Member:victoriatro
Title:Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

English (89)  French (1)  All languages (90)
Loved this series in high school! ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This is a really hard review to write. I have been putting off writing this review for a month now...like that is going to help me in any way. I absolutely LOVE this series and everything that the writing team of Ilona Andrews writes. I had some problems with the narration of this audiobook even though I have enjoyed this narrator on other works. I am rating this book based on the story and not the narration.

This is one of those series that gets better with each book. This is a great book filled with some of the best characters in any story and set in an original and exciting world. The book has a lot of action which keeps things very exciting. Every single scene that involves His Furriness, Curran, makes me want to swoon and I seriously have no idea how Kate can keep it together. I would have loved to see more of Kate and Curran together but I think that every interaction between the pair is memorable because they are so perfectly timed.

The writing is flawless. I love the humor that finds its way into the story and the fact that these characters are such good people. They pride themselves on protecting others and will sacrifice as need to achieve that goal. This book introduces more or the pack politics including the inner workings of the bouda clan. Since I had read the book a couple of years ago before listening to this audiobook, I found it really interesting to go back and see these characters in this book from early in the series. It is amazing how the groundwork for later events were laid so early.

I did have trouble with the narration in some areas. I like the narrator just fine for a large part of the book but some of her voices were just wrong in my opinion. Julie is a 13 year old girl but in this audiobook she sounds like she might be all of 4 years old. The voice is not even close to representing a girl of 13. Raphael sounded like he was deranged or something instead of the suave bouda male that I know him to be. I thought that Curran sounded too growly (I know that is not a word but I am saying it anyway). I can deal with Curran's voice but the other two made me cringe every time I heard them and Julie's voice was in the book a lot. I do think that this narrator does a good job with Kate and most of the narration but the parts that were bad were really bad for me.

I would recommend this book to everyone. I would also recommend that all readers start with the first book in the series, Magic Bites. This series really needs to be read in order. I will continue to read everything written by Ilona Andrews that I can get my hands on. I will probably continue with my re-read of this series on audio simply because I have already paid for the whole series but I would recommend to others to stick to the actual book. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 4, 2015 |
4.5 stars. I liked this quite a but better than book one. Curran is great. Just wish we got more if him. ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
As this series progresses it improves. I give this book 3.5 stars. The villains are mythological creatures from Irish Celtic Mythology...Morrigan, Morfran, and Branwen. With references to Hecate from the Greek. Illona Andrews novels are like chocolate for frustrated mythology majors.

Rarely have I seen a writer explore the more obscure mythologies and in this amount of detail - in an entertaining action packed urban fantasy. Plus, unlike most, it's not focused on the trite and in my opinion over-used: vampires, werewolves, fairies, zombies, ghosts and demons. Illona Andrews has actually done a bit of research and found new monsters and gods to explore. Not the common Greek/Roman or Judeo/Christian variety.

The characters are richly developed. And various new and interesting female characters are introduced.

* Andrea - a knight of the Order of Merciful Aid, who has her own secret...and is Kate's best friend. She also is quite good with guns.

* Julie - a street kid

* Aunt B - the head of the werehyena

* Raphael - Aunt B's son

* Bran (Branwen)

Meanwhile, we get more information on Kate, what makes her tick, and Curran, Jim, and others.

Kate on behalf of the Pack, hunts down a mysterious bowman who has stolen their survey maps. She discovers a street kid, whose mother has gone missing due to a ritual magic ceremony gone wrong. The mother had joined a coven, which got in over the head. Much chaos ensues.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.00

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating>

First Thought when Finished: Now I see why everyone gushes over this series! Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews caused me to use a good chunk of the credits from Christmas to buy the rest of the series. I will be back to back listening to these suckers!

Quick Thoughts: Story was super strong and I like that we are getting glimpses into different areas of the world. The characters are growing on me but I have a feeling the Kate/Curran dance will be at times infuriating to read.

Audio Thoughts

Narrated By Renée Raudman / Length: 9 hrs and 38 mins

I don't know anyone who has chosen to listen to these regret that decision. Renee really does nail Ilona Andrews writing voice!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Feb 16, 2015 |
To the late David Gemmell. You have inspired me with your books. It was my dream to meet you, and I deeply regret your passing.
The phone rang in the middle of the night.

Kate goes up against Celtic gods, finds an orphan in need of protection, and fends of the Beast Lord -- all while trying to stay alive.
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare...As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate is going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015832, Mass Market Paperback)

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels knows how waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shape shifters, she quickly realizes much more is at stake. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug of war between two gods hoping for rebirth, and if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

When mercenary Kate Daniels is hired to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she is plunged into the middle of an epic battle between two gods hoping for rebirth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,157,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible