Backwater by Joan Bauer

Title:Backwater
Authors:Joan Bauer
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2000), Edition: Reprint, Paperback

Backwater by Joan Bauer

I ended up liking this book, but I thought the beginning was really slow. The main character is easy to relate to, but she is obsessed with history and especially genealogy which not many kids are into. She may inspire some to look into their family's history, but some may get discouraged when their real families cannot possibly compare to the fascinating history of the Breedloves. Overall I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorite Bauer books. ( )
  4sarad | Apr 1, 2011 |
I am working my way through all of Joan Bauer's books and I love this one, too! The young Ivy Breedlove is a wonderful character, but it's her Aunt Jo that I'll remember long after I've closed the book. Aunt Jo is eccentric but very real and very memorable as is Mountain Mama. One of the things I also love about Ms. Bauer's books is that the reader learns something along the way: anything from shoes to pumpkins or, in this case, a wintry mountainous trek through the Adirondacks. ( )
  Sandra305 | Oct 8, 2010 |
It's been a while since I read this one, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't Joan Bauer's best. That's not to say that it was bad - Joan Bauer is amazing. It's still a cute and different story that's worth a read. :) ( )
  MickTheChick | Mar 7, 2010 |
As Ivy's strong willed family gets together at the family homestead, Ivy is determined to meet her aunt, a recluse hermit who is the polar opposite of her father and his brother. Her father is a somewhat over the top proud lawyer from a long line of lawyers who's determined that she too will practice law, even though it's history and genealogy that pulls her. ( )
  cliddie | Aug 7, 2009 |
p. 140: "...difficult relationahips come into our lives for a reason. No one would choose them, certainly. But if we let them, they can teach us how to be flexible with others and more forgiving." I love the last sentence, "You can't pursue history without finding hope." A good young adult novel. ( )
  BevWel | Aug 4, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142404349, Paperback)

There are two things you can count on in a book by Joan Bauer. One, it will make you laugh. And two, the girl who is telling the story will be really good at something, but not something you'd expect. In Squashed, Ellie wins the Giant Pumpkin Weigh-In. In Rules of the Road, which won the Golden Kite Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Young Adult Fiction, Jenna Boller is a whiz at selling shoes. In Backwater, Ivy Breedlove resists being good at the family tradition. For many generations the Breedloves have been successful lawyers. Among her loud and argumentative relatives, however, Ivy feels like "a goldfish swimming in a tank stocked with snapping turtles--it's hard to keep a lasting presence." Instead, Ivy is in love with history, especially the family history she is compiling. But a large piece is missing. Many years ago, her father's sister Josephine went away to be a hermit in the mountains, and ever since, the rest of the family has referred to her scornfully as "stuck in the backwater." Ivy, convinced that this "different" aunt holds the secret to her own differentness, sets out in a snowstorm to find Jo, with the help of backslapping, slogan-spouting wilderness guide Mountain Mama. Along the way she meets with a lot more adventure and understanding than she ever anticipated--not to mention snagging an excellent boyfriend. (Ages 12 to 16) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:01 -0400)

While compiling a genealogy of her family of successful attorneys, sixteen-year-old history buff Ivy Breedlove treks into the mountain wilderness to interview a reclusive aunt with whom she identifies and who in turn helps her to truly know herself and her family.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,614,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible