My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier

My Cousin Rachel (1951)

by Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (itbgc, cometahalley)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Lady Susan by Jane Austen (atimco)
    atimco: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Angel by Elizabeth Taylor (cometahalley)
    Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais by Suzanne Fagence Cooper (cometahalley)
    Damage by Josephine Hart (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Now I've read MCR, I wonder if R's character influenced Hart when she wrote Anna's character. Both women are catalysts for disaster. Damage is much more stark a tale and not gothic, but there is still victim and perpetrator and reading them together is a great comparison.… (more)

English (101)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (105)
This is the third book By Daphne du Maurier that I've read. I don't know what to say about it without giving anything away. I will say that I liked it, not as much as I liked [b:Rebecca|17899948|Rebecca|Daphne du Maurier|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386605169s/17899948.jpg|46663] but much more than I liked [b:Jamaica Inn|18869967|Jamaica Inn|Daphne du Maurier|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1386605082s/18869967.jpg|430524]. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
I really enjoy Daphne Du Maurier as a writer. Her writing is very atmospheric and almost moody. As I started out this novel (similar to Rebecca), I was introduced to our main character and knew immediately that things weren't quite right. That ominous feeling stays with you throughout the entire novel until you feel that you come to your own conclusions about the ending (which aren't really fully revealed, which makes for some fun discussion). I thought the movie was really well done and left things quite open to interpretation, similarly to the book, though I think the book leads the reader to come to a few more pointed conclusions. Highly recommend. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
Upper-Intermediate Early, 2 Audio CDs
  ChatterMatters | Jul 19, 2018 |
Upper-Intermediate Early, 2 Audio CDs
  ChatterMatters | Jul 19, 2018 |
Digital audio performed by Jonathan Pryce

Philip Ashley is the young heir to the great Cornwall estate owned by his cousin, Ambrose, who is his guardian and has been like a father to him. For health reasons, Ambrose goes to Italy in the winter months, but this time he does not return. He has married the lovely widowed Contessa and is staying for a time until her late husband’s affairs are fully settled. But then Ambrose dies suddenly, and Cousin Rachel shows up in Cornwall. Is she the bereaved widow? A temptress and gold-digger? Could she have poisoned Ambrose?

Oh, what a tangled web we weave …. Wonderfully atmospheric, gothic psychological suspense. Philip is a naïve young man who is seemingly easily manipulated by the worldly Rachel. Or is he? Is the mutual attraction a figment of his over-active imagination? Does he believe the cryptic notes cousin Ambrose sent him? Or should he shrug them off as the product of a diseased and fevered brain? Rachel, herself, is the soul of propriety one moment, and then seemingly giddy as a schoolgirl at her good fortune the next. She is flirtatious one moment, and standoffishly proper then next. She seems callously indifferent in one scene and then solicitous and concerned about Philip on the next page. She’s both captivating and infuriating!

I was second-guessing myself as often as Philip was. At the end I’m left wondering what really happened. And that’s a good thing.

Johnathan Pryce does a marvelous job narrating the audio book. He’s a talented actor and he gives all the characters, men and women, distinct voices that really bring them to life. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 18, 2018 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Michell, RogerIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pryce, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
My Cousin Rachel is a novel of great technical assurance.
They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will come to love his grand house as much as he does himself. But the cosy world to two have constructed is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to FLorence. There he falls in love amd marries - and there he dies suddenly.

In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to a flame. And yet...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440159938, Mass Market Paperback)

Ambrose Ashley, Philip's cousin, married Rachel in Italy, and died there. Jealous of his marriage, racked by suspicion at the hints in Ambrose's letters, and grief-stricken by his death, Philip prepares to meet his cousin's widow with hatred in his heart. The author also wrote "Rebecca".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

Rachel, a woman of exquisite beauty, descends on the great Cornwall estate of Philip Ashley. Despite his aroused suspicions, she soon enchants him. In this tale of good and evil, Philip must decide whether the glorious Rachel, the recent mysterious widow of his beloved cousin, is out to destroy him or is the innocent victim of devious man with a tremendous longing to be loved. His fate and his future lie in the answer to this deadly question.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,565,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible