My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics) by…

My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1951; edition 2003)

by Daphne Du Maurier, Sally Beauman (Introduction)

Member:Clurb
Title:My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier
Other authors:Sally Beauman (Introduction)
Info:Virago (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Kindle
Tags:january 2013, modern classic, women, murder

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (1951)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (itbgc, cometahalley)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Lady Susan by Jane Austen (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais by Suzanne Fagence Cooper (cometahalley)
    Damage by Josephine Hart (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Now I've read MCR, I wonder if R's character influenced Hart when she wrote Anna's character. Both women are catalysts for disaster. Damage is much more stark a tale and not gothic, but there is still victim and perpetrator and reading them together is a great comparison.… (more)
    Angel by Elizabeth Taylor (cometahalley)

English (78)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All (81)
Daphne du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel is a classic gothic mystery/romance, continuously intriguing and suspenseful until its ambiguous conclusion. Set in Victorian Cornwall, it tells the story of Philip Ashley, a callow young man whose life is turned upside-down by the widow of his beloved uncle Ambrose. With clues gleaned from Ambrose's letters, Philip initially suspects that she may have poisoned him, but he soon becomes infatuated with her, smitten by her beauty, charm, and sophistication. Did she play a part in Ambrose's death? Du Maurier deftly keeps Philip (and the reader) guessing, with the scales rather evenly balanced, and in the process she paints rather scathing portraits of the naive malleable young man and the cunning and manipulative older woman. The ending leaves the question unresolved, with a trail of evidence for the reader to ponder; but it's that ambiguity that gives the novel its ultimate power, as Philip too is left wondering, never to know for certain, and forever haunted. ( )
1 vote ghr4 | May 30, 2017 |
Good read. I read this because I am a huge fan of Rebecca. While I did enjoy it, it doesn't hold a candle to Rebecca in my opinion. ( )
  Crystal423 | May 16, 2017 |
Is she guilty or innocen? This will be up to you to decide. A very well written book that gave me a sense of foreboding the entire time I was reading it. ( )
1 vote DidIReallyReadThat | May 10, 2017 |
This classic has all the Gothic elements you love in du Maurier's novels. Although you suspect from the beginning that things will not come to a happy end, the pleasure is in the details. Ever so slowly, the web is spun, leaving the narrator helplessly ensnared. Great fun and I am looking forward to the release of the film in 2017. ( )
  PeggyDean | Mar 26, 2017 |
writing was nothing special in terms of language and the behavior of the characters is not entirely believable.

for example,

Philip didn't seem to have any compunction about pursuing his father figure's wife. Giving away his fortune like that doesn't seem plausible either.

Louise didn't appear to talk with father about her concerns about Rachel. She almost certainly would have.

his godfather rolled over way too easily about Philip giving up his fortune

if Ambrose was really concerned about his situation, he wouldn't have written only to Philip so far away in England.

bzbooks | Jan 4, 2017 |

Maurier, Daphne duprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pryce, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
My Cousin Rachel is a novel of great technical assurance.
They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days.
She has done for me at last, Rachel my torment.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will come to love his grand house as much as he does himself. But the cosy world to two have constructed is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to FLorence. There he falls in love amd marries - and there he dies suddenly.

In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to a flame. And yet...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440159938, Mass Market Paperback)

Ambrose Ashley, Philip's cousin, married Rachel in Italy, and died there. Jealous of his marriage, racked by suspicion at the hints in Ambrose's letters, and grief-stricken by his death, Philip prepares to meet his cousin's widow with hatred in his heart. The author also wrote "Rebecca".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

I threw the piece of paper on the fire. She saw it burn ...Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet ...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible