My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics) by…

My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics) (original 1951; edition 2003)

by Daphne Du Maurier, Sally Beauman (Introduction)

Member:Clurb
Title:My Cousin Rachel (Virago Modern Classics)
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier
Other authors:Sally Beauman (Introduction)
Info:Virago (2003), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Kindle
Tags:january 2013, modern classic, women, murder

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (1951)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (itbgc, cometahalley)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Lady Susan by Jane Austen (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These stories share a charming, manipulative villainess.
    Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais by Suzanne Fagence Cooper (cometahalley)
    Damage by Josephine Hart (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Now I've read MCR, I wonder if R's character influenced Hart when she wrote Anna's character. Both women are catalysts for disaster. Damage is much more stark a tale and not gothic, but there is still victim and perpetrator and reading them together is a great comparison.… (more)
    Angel by Elizabeth Taylor (cometahalley)

English (69)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (72)
It didn't really grab me as much as I hd hoped. It did very well in demonstrating how suspicious we can be of others depending on our emotional state. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 30, 2016 |
Philip Ashley can't imagine life unlike it is, living in relative ease with his cousin Ambrose, who has raised him since he was a young orphan and now lives companionably together with him at the age of twenty-five, both bachelors. Then Ambrose goes away for his health and meets his cousin Rachel, who turns both their lives upside down when she and Ambrose marry. Philip is determined to hate her, but when he meets her will she charm him like she charmed Ambrose?

I'm being a little more vague than usual in my plot description because there are some reveals early on that the entire plot hinges on and I don't want to give anything away. Say what you like about Daphne du Maurier, love or hate her books, but she certainly knows how to craft a beginning sentence: "They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days." The suspense builds slowly from there, and though the story dragged for me in the middle I was on the edge of my seat by the end. Who can you trust? Philip, the narrator, who is young and naive, impulsive and blind to woman who loves him? Or Rachel - is she an Italian vixen who can wrap men around her little finger or an unwitting victim of sad circumstances? Is anyone truly "innocent"? I confess I found Philip really irritating which colored my interpretation of the book tremendously and probably had something to do with why it took me so long to finish it. This would make an excellent book group choice. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 9, 2016 |
A slow-burn psychological thriller that will have you constantly asking “Is She or Isn’t She?” Philip Ashley, the first person narrator of this tale, is a very sheltered young man who was raised by his wealthy cousin Ambrose. When Ambrose travels to Italy and suddenly gets married and then abruptly dies, Philip is determined that his widow Rachel is to blame. Then the beautiful Rachel shows up in Cornwall and thoroughly bewitches him, making the gauche young man an even more unreliable narrator. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
My least favorite book by Daphne du Maurier. This story was so different from Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, and Frenchman's Creek. There wasn't enough suspense for me and I found most of the characters unlikable. ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Philip was raised by his bachelor cousin Ambrose. Philip is now 24 and plans to remain a bachelor himself. When Ambrose heads to Italy for a trip, Philip is surprised to learn that Ambrose has fallen in love and will get married while there. Philip never sees Ambrose again, as only a few months later, Ambrose dies unexpectedly. When Ambrose's new wife, Rachel, shows up in England, Philip is surprisingly drawn to her.

It was not fast-paced. The story was fine, once I got “into” it and figured out who was who and how they were related. There wasn't as much mystery to it as I was expecting. I have to admit I kept waiting for something to happen, but really... not much did. As I write my review, I'm surprised I'm rating it “good” and not “ok”, but unless I'm undecided on how I'll rate it as I read, I tend to stick with my thoughts while I was reading, so 3.5 stars (good), it is! ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 9, 2016 |

Daphne du Maurierprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pryce, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
My Cousin Rachel is a novel of great technical assurance.
They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days.
She has done for me at last, Rachel my torment.

VIRAGO EDITION:
Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will come to love his grand house as much as he does himself. But the cosy world to two have constructed is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to FLorence. There he falls in love amd marries - and there he dies suddenly.

In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to a flame. And yet...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440159938, Mass Market Paperback)

Ambrose Ashley, Philip's cousin, married Rachel in Italy, and died there. Jealous of his marriage, racked by suspicion at the hints in Ambrose's letters, and grief-stricken by his death, Philip prepares to meet his cousin's widow with hatred in his heart. The author also wrote "Rebecca".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:43 -0400)

I threw the piece of paper on the fire. She saw it burn ...Orphaned at an early age, Philip Ashley is raised by his benevolent older cousin, Ambrose. Resolutely single, Ambrose delights in Philip as his heir, a man who will love his grand home as much as he does himself. But the cosy world the two construct is shattered when Ambrose sets off on a trip to Florence. There he falls in love and marries - and there he dies suddenly. In almost no time at all, the new widow - Philip's cousin Rachel - turns up in England. Despite himself, Philip is drawn to this beautiful, sophisticated, mysterious woman like a moth to the flame. And yet ...might she have had a hand in Ambrose's death?… (more)

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,558,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible