The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston

The Wheel of Darkness (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:Meredy
Title:The Wheel of Darkness
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Collections:Read, no longer own
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, creepy

The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston (Author) (2007)

English (41)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
I've read all the books in the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child Pendergast series up to this one (so far). I've always been impressed by the way in which there is a hint of the supernatuaral in the investigations, yet the solution has always turned out to have a very earthly base. Consequently, I was disappointed to discover that in this book they had finally succumbed to employing supernatural elements to explain away the bizarre happenings. Still a well told story, but disappointing. ( )
  AussiePenMan | Nov 15, 2014 |
While all of the Agent Pendergast novels involve a level of otherworldly events this novel pushed that envelope a bit too much for my tastes. The characters are as fascinating as usual from these authors however the plot seemed a bit forced. The level of coincidence was higher than in previous novels and the plot was not as engrossing as the previous three books. Yes, I read the series in the order that it is published even though the authors claim that it is not necessary. I find that by reading them in order I get a bit more depth out of each book. I understand the characters better and some events would not have the same impact if you have not read the previous books. Overall I feel that unless you truly find this series fascinating and addictive this would be one book in the series you could pass by without any great loss. For a truly good read from Preston and Child I would highly recommend the Relic/Reliquary books and the Brimstone/Dance of Death/Book of the Dead miniseries. ( )
  goth_marionette | Sep 21, 2014 |
Not bad reading. This is the first time that I have read a Pendergast book. I find the character very interesting. I must read the others sometime. ( )
  nilbett | Jun 23, 2014 |
disappointing. ( )
  LindaRogers | May 3, 2014 |
I've read a whole bunch of books with Special Agent Pendergrast and Constance - and I think it's time they retired him. This book just got downright silly. I do like this series of books, tho. Pendergrast is strangely engaging. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |

Preston, DouglasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, LincolnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Nat and Ravida, Emily, Andrew, and Sarah
The only things moving in the vastness of the Llolung Valley were two black specks, barely larger than the frost-split boulders that covered the valley floor, inching along a faint track.

FBI Special Agent Pendergast is taking a break from work to take Constance on a whirlwind Grand Tour, hoping to give her closure and a sense of the world that she's missed. They head to Tibet, where Pendergast intensively trained in martial arts and spiritual studies. At a remote monastery, they learn that a rare and dangerous artifact the monks have been guarding for generations has been mysteriously stolen. As a favor, Pendergast agrees to track and recover the relic. A twisting trail of bloodshed leads Pendergast and Constance to the maiden voyage of the Britannia, the world's largest and most luxurious ocean liner---and to an Atlantic crossing fraught with terror.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:20 -0400)

"A luxury ocean liner on its maiden voyage across the North Atlantic, awash in wealth and decadence. An ancient Tibetan box, its contents unknown, sealed with a terrifying warning. An FBI agent destined to confront what he fears most - himself."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,921,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible