The Wheel of Darkness (Special Agent…

The Wheel of Darkness (Special Agent Pendergast) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by -Douglas Preson-; Lincoln Child [Audiobook](Audio CD)

Member:JeffV
Title:The Wheel of Darkness (Special Agent Pendergast)
Authors:-Douglas Preson-; Lincoln Child [Audiobook](Audio CD)
Info:Unabridged Audiobook (2007), Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Supernatural, Suspense, Mystery, Crime

The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston (2007)

English (39)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
Not bad reading. This is the first time that I have read a Pendergast book. I find the character very interesting. I must read the others sometime. ( )
  nilbett | Jun 23, 2014 |
disappointing. ( )
  LindaRogers | May 3, 2014 |
I've read a whole bunch of books with Special Agent Pendergrast and Constance - and I think it's time they retired him. This book just got downright silly. I do like this series of books, tho. Pendergrast is strangely engaging. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
Six-word review: Bizarre departure for investigator Pendergast fans.

Extended review:

This was a reread for me, and now I remember why it took me so long to come around to reading the series from the beginning. This is noplace to start with Agent Pendergast. Almost any of the preceding seven books except perhaps The Book of the Dead, which is the third of a trilogy within the series, would make a better introduction.

First, the story takes place on an Atlantic crossing during the maiden voyage of an enormous luxury ocean liner. This common fictional device of isolating the crime-solving protagonist from outside resources while perpetrator and potential victims are all trapped together (on an airplane, on an island, in a haunted house, etc.) has the effect of separating Pendergast from all the interesting secondary characters that usually interact with him, so that we have no developing relationships to follow except the one with his ward, Constance.

Second, the book is really not a standalone. It relies heavily on contextual information supplied by its predecessors in the series, most notably Pendergast's and Constance's respective histories with the agent's brother Diogenes, who played a principal role in the trilogy. The number of allusions to the characters' recent personal experiences--and the inclusion of the voice of Diogenes himself--means that any reader who has not been following the series sequentially will miss the significance of or be confused by several key elements, and various other references will be meaningless.

Third, Pendergast himself spends a portion of this narrative behaving in a way that is deeply out of character for him. To appreciate how much, and to give that development its due weight, the reader must have some prior familiarity.

And fourth, there is a supernatural element to this story that, although explained in some fashion, takes it out of the realm of a world whose rules and conventions we know from our own experience. Once we leave the realistic setting behind, we can't be sure what kind of world we're in. There is no world-building of the sort that we expect in urban fantasies and magic realism. It's disorienting not to know what to accept as being what it appears to be and what to regard as hallucination or trickery that requires exposure.

Consequently I found this installment not only unsatisfying but in a number of ways annoying. For the sake of the longer arc that spans the plots of several of the novels, I'm glad I reread it, and I will certainly go on with the series, but with a little wariness now that I've come to doubt whether the authors--who have perhaps become a bit bored with their own creation--will play fair with the reader.
  Meredy | Jan 4, 2014 |
An interesting and fast-paced addition to the series. I liked it less than I've liked the others, however. I think it might have to do with the setting on the cruise ship. For some reason, this just didn't captivate me as much as the books that have more historical connections. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica.

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Nat and Ravida, Emily, Andrew, and Sarah
The only things moving in the vastness of the Llolung Valley were two black specks, barely larger than the frost-split boulders that covered the valley floor, inching along a faint track.

FBI Special Agent Pendergast is taking a break from work to take Constance on a whirlwind Grand Tour, hoping to give her closure and a sense of the world that she's missed. They head to Tibet, where Pendergast intensively trained in martial arts and spiritual studies. At a remote monastery, they learn that a rare and dangerous artifact the monks have been guarding for generations has been mysteriously stolen. As a favor, Pendergast agrees to track and recover the relic. A twisting trail of bloodshed leads Pendergast and Constance to the maiden voyage of the Britannia, the world's largest and most luxurious ocean liner---and to an Atlantic crossing fraught with terror.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:20 -0400)

"A luxury ocean liner on its maiden voyage across the North Atlantic, awash in wealth and decadence. An ancient Tibetan box, its contents unknown, sealed with a terrifying warning. An FBI agent destined to confront what he fears most - himself."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible