Perfume (International Writers) by Patrick…

Perfume (International Writers) (original 1985; edition 1989)

by Patrick Suskind

Member:greenlemonsoda
Title:Perfume (International Writers)
Authors:Patrick Suskind
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1989), Edition: later printing, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (1985)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (spiphany)
    Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (klerulo)
    klerulo: Both these works attempt to get inside the head of singularly amoral sociopathic murderers.
    The Bells by Richard Harvell (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Where Perfume is about a boy who has an extraordinary sense of smell, The Bells is about a boy who has extraordinary hearing. The vivid description of sounds in The Bells remind me of the description of scents in Perfume.
    Brother of Sleep by Robert Schneider (HazardMain)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (freya727)
    De Sade's Valet by Nikolaj Frobenius (bluepiano)
    The Horrific Sufferings of the Mind-Reading: Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and Terrible Hatred by Carl-Johan Vallgren (olyvia)
    The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (norabelle414)
    Tongue by Kyung-Ran Jo (infiniteletters)
    An Absolute Gentleman by R. M. Kinder (GirlMisanthrope)
    Zeroville by Steve Erickson (VisibleGhost)
    VisibleGhost: An obsession with movies instead of scent.
    The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (spiphany)
    The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (Rosey_Kim)
    Rosey_Kim: Lemon Cake also deals with supernaturally heightened human senses (taste rather than smell) and has a similarly evocative sense of environment.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
1980s (23)

English (246)  Spanish (33)  French (11)  Dutch (11)  Italian (9)  German (6)  Swedish (5)  All (3)  Norwegian (2)  All (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (330)
LOVED this book! ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
A disturbing novel which reminds me of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde because of the monstrosity of their main characters. In "The Perfume" we read about the life of a perturbed man whose extraordinary sense and absence of smell turn him into a monster. He wants to become a God by creating the perfect perfume. Impossible to miss! ( )
  mrocaiglesias | Oct 23, 2016 |
(38) You know I just did not particularly like this book. I read it at a time when I was fairly preoccupied, looking for an easy escapist read - so maybe that has something to do with it. I thought it was literary horror which is a favorite genre of mine - but it dsappointed.

Jean-Baptiste Grenioille is a orphan who seems to have no human smell. He is rejected by surrogate mother after surrogate mother, due to his creepiness. He is basically given into indentured servitude as a tanner's assistant and lives in cruel conditions. But despite his own lack of smell, he becomes a connoisseur of scent. He seems to be able to discern and classify odors like an idiot savant may do math or play piano. He ultimately becomes obsessed with creating the ideal human perfume, which leads to his nefarious deeds. It is kind of. . . well. . . stupid. And frankly a bit dull. Especially when he was living in the cave. I still fail to grasp why he was so disgusted by human odors and then so obsessed with them. Perhaps, I just didn't get it. That is certainly possible as I was distracted through my arduous course thru this novel.

There was some magical realism especially towards the end which I detested and I found the ending senseless and ridiculous. I am giving a generous 3 stars because the prose itself was stylistically good and well-written and I can appreciate that. But the rest of the novel did not resonate with me. ( )
  jhowell | Oct 4, 2016 |
The psychology of Perfume snagged me as I read. I think that's what really hooks one in to this rather short read; it plays on sense of self while carrying its readers off into the darkened chill of absence, lack, mania.

All in all, it was very interesting and disturbing. Which is probably what every other review of this book says.

I haven't watched the movie and I'm sure if I ever get around to it I'll end up comparing it back to the book as readers are wont to do. There certainly might be something interesting there, experiencing a book about a pariah who is driven to murder because of a sense he lacks in two different senses by reading the book (sight) and watching a movie (sight hearing).

Suskind definitely abounds in his ability to layer scent within his character and his writing. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I am going to give this book... 3.5 stars.

I read it years ago and some of the passages have really stuck with me, but the rest of it is a little bit muddled?

I felt that it was a little bit slow in parts but it definitely gathered pace towards the end and it had an ending that I was actually really, really pleased with. I thought it dovetailed very neatly and I was really impressed.

So I think this book made a big impression on me at the end but overall it wasn't really a book I'd read again, although I would recommend it. The writing is really interesting in parts and the plot itself is a very interesting concept. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Just as Grenouille can manufacture a perfume that infallibly conjures up the same response in anyone who senses it, so Mr. Suskind creates words that provide a satisfying illusion of another time. Grenouille the perfumer becomes a kind of novelist, creating phantom objects in the air, but Mr. Suskind himself is a perfumer of language. This is a remarkable debut.

A delight to the senses, disturbing serial killer, must read!

Süskind, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jonkers, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilar, JudithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wallenström, UlrikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watteau, AntoineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In eighteenth century France there lived a man who was one of the most gifted and abominable personages in an era that knew no lack of gifted and abominable personages.

smell everything /
got lost in a world of greed /
devoured at market
(aychan)
basic boy meets girl/
boy's fine nose loves girl's fine scent/
boy wants girl pomade
(hauntedpuppydome)

An acclaimed bestseller and international sensation, Patrick Suskind's classic novel provokes a terrifying examination of what happens when one man's indulgence in his greatest passion—his sense of smell—leads to murder.

In the slums of eighteenth-century France, the infant Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is born with one sublime gift-an absolute sense of smell. As a boy, he lives to decipher the odors of Paris, and apprentices himself to a prominent perfumer who teaches him the ancient art of mixing precious oils and herbs. But Grenouille's genius is such that he is not satisfied to stop there, and he becomes obsessed with capturing the smells of objects such as brass doorknobs and frest-cut wood. Then one day he catches a hint of a scent that will drive him on an ever-more-terrifying quest to create the "ultimate perfume"—the scent of a beautiful young virgin. Told with dazzling narrative brillance, Perfume is a hauntingly powerful tale of murder and sensual depravity.

Translated from the German by John E. Woods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

Follows an odorless baby found orphaned in Paris in 1738 as he grows into a monster obsessed with his perfect sense of smell and a desire to capture, by any means, the ultimate scent that will make him human.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140120831, 0141037504, 0141041153, 0734306768

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,769,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible