Pigs Have Wings by P. G. Wodehouse

Pigs Have Wings (1952)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Jeeves in the Offing by P. G. Wodehouse (Shivaranjan)
    Shivaranjan: I think it is a super book.You might faint laughing while reading this books .One of the best of P G Wodehouse...... excerpt:- "Bertie!"said old Kipper. "What is your little problem?" "My little trouble!" "Didn't you like the Blue Room?" "The Blue Room!" "Kipper,"said I,irritated"decide whether you are my old friend Reginald Herring or an echo in the Swiss mountains."… (more)

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
In which the Empress of Blandings faces stiff competition in the form of Sir Gregory Parslow's new pig the Queen of Matchingham, there is even more pignapping than usual, and there are three couples with romantic problems. Probably the most enjoyable of the Blandings Castle novels that I have read.

'You don't mean it's fatter than the Empress?' said Gally, cocking an eye at the stable's nominee and marvelling that such a thing could be possible.
Lord Emsworth looked shocked.
'I would not say that. No, no, I certainly would not say that. But the contest will now become a desperately close one. It may be a matter of ounces.'
1 vote isabelx | Feb 24, 2011 |
I really wish I could think of something else wonderful to say about P.G. Wodehouse, but I really have no words left for how much I enjoy his work. Up until now I had mostly been reading the 'Jeeves & Wooster' novels, with a few side trips to individual works. The 'Blandings' stories are fewer, but no less entertaining. A jealous competitor works to sabotage Lord Emsworth's chances of winning a regional agricultural competition by causing Emsworth's prize pig to lose weight. Emsworth's quick-witted brother comes to the rescue and sorts out a few local romantic entanglements along the way. The plot is inconsequential, since it loops and twists at such a rate that it often is difficult to keep all the strings together, yet Wodehouse has such a light touch that it comes off as effortless. Like almost everything else he wrote, the world of the novel is magical and trouble-free, a bright universe of comic invention that has the timing of screwball and the lyricism of well-practiced vaudeville. A gem.

(This review originally appeared on zombieunderground.net) ( )
2 vote coffeezombie | Jun 8, 2009 |
Beach the butler, wheezing a little after navigating the stairs, for he was not the streamlined young under-footman he had been thirty years ago, entered the library of Blandings Castle, a salver piled with letters in his hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014028463X, Paperback)

Lord Emsworth's quick-witted brother must stop the portly Sir Gregory Parsloe's plan to slim down Emsworth's prize porker with a new miracle weight-loss drug.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:38 -0400)

Humorous fiction. A Blandings novel Can the Empress of Blandings win the Fat Pigs class at the Shropshire Show for the third year running? Galahad Threepwood, Beach the butler and others have put their shirt on this, and for Lord Emsworth it will be paradise on earth. But a substantial obstacle lurks in the way: Queen of Matchingham, the new sow of Sir Gregory Parsloe Bart. Galahad knows this pretender to the crown must be pignapped. But can the Empress in turn avoid a similar fate? In this classic Blandings novel, pigs rise above their bulk to vanish and reappear in the most unlikely places, while young lovers are crossed and recrossed in every room in Blandings Castle. Back Cover Text A Blandings novel.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible