Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs,…

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of… (original 1997; edition 2008)

by Gary Taubes

Member:fiverivers
Title:Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health
Authors:Gary Taubes
Info:Anchor (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 640 pages

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease by Gary Taubes (1997)

Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink (infiniteletters)
    Dynamics in Action: Intentional Behavior as a Complex System by Alicia Juarrero (kukulaj)
    kukulaj: Juarrero's book studies the difference between a wink and a blink, developing a theoretical framework to help us understand that difference. Taubes's book is about whether fat accumulation is more like a wink or more like a blink. Obesity is a huge public health problem, so Taubes is doing a great service - but the book is missing a good theoretical framework, which makes its conclusions shaky. Juarrero could provide just the foundation that Taubes lacks.… (more)

Some of this book rang true for me and then some I just couldn't get on board with. ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
Science jouranlaist Gary Taubes looked at the science behind the FDA food pyramid and found it, er, unscientific. A little dry in stretches because it's so thorough. Taubes presents pretty compelling evidence that obesity, diabetes, and a host of other health problems stem from grain and starch based diets. ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
Too scientific," Why we get fat" by the same author, is made for the layman and the audio version from library is a must listen once a year to remind myself that carbohydrates means insulin means FAT. The author has examined doctor presribed diets from the 1930's in various cultures and economic groups whether it is the Puotu Indians or Americans in the Dirty 30's; and he repeatedly proves that the culprit of weight gain is carbohydrates and insulin and NOT lack of exercise or overeating. He proves a low fat diet does NOT work. ( )
  mcspurren | May 21, 2014 |
One of the more important nutrition science books written in the past 50 years. Taubes contrasts the "Lipid Hypothesis" with the "Carbohydrate Hypothesis" as the main factor in promoting obesity, metabolic syndrome, and heart disease, and finds that we have been focusing on "fats" in our diet, while the main culprit really does seem to be carbohydrates and sugars. It does indeed look like the chief mediator in heart disease, obesity, and Type II diabetes in insulin, and a low-carbohydrate diet is the key to weight loss and prevention of coronary heart disease. Atkins was right! A very important book. ( )
  bodhisattva | Feb 5, 2014 |
Loving it! Very dense and quite a tome, but an engaging read nonetheless for anyone interested in nutrition, low-fat diet debates, primal/paleo, cholesterol, and Western diseases.

Finished it and LOVED it. Went out and bought his next book, Why We Get Fat. I like GCBC better. It's truly a life-changing book. But if you don't like dense books, I'd stick with Why We Get Fat. ( )
  mjennings26 | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Sloane and Harry, my family
William Banting was a fat man.
In the prevailing wisdom, a simple caloric imbalance is the culprit: we get fat because we consume more calories than we expend. The alternative is that excess weight and obesity, like all diseases of civilization, are caused by the singular hormonal effects of a diet rich in refined and easily digestible carbohydrates.
Certain conclusions seem inescapable to me, based on the existing knowledge:

1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, is not a cause of obesity, heart disease, or any other chronic disease of civilization.
2. The problem is the carbohydrates in the diet, their effect on insulin secretion, and thus the hormonal regulation of homeostasis -- the entire harmonic ensemble of the human body. The more easily digestible and refined the carbohydrates, the greater the effect on our health, weight, and well-being.

3. Sugars -- sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup specifically -- are particularly harmful, probably because the combination of fructose and glucose simultaneously elevates insulin levels while overloading the liver with carbohydrates.

4. Through their direct effect on insulin and blood sugar, refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are the dietary cause of coronary heart disease and diabetes. They are the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and the other chronic diseases of civilization.

5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior.

6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, any more than it causes a child to grow taller. Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term weight loss; it leads to hunger.

7. Fattening and obseity are caused by an imbalance -- a disequilibrium -- in the hormonal regulation of adipose tissue and fat metabolism. Fat synthesis and storage exceed the mobilization of fat from the adipose tissue and its subsequent oxidation. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses its balance.

8. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated -- either chronically or after a meal -- we accumulate fat in our fat tissue. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and use it for fuel.

9. By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. The fewer carbohydrates we consume, the leaner we will be.

10. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.

"For decades we have been taught that fat is bad for us, carbohydrates better, and that the key to a healthy weight is eating less and exercising more. Yet despite this advice, we have seen unprecedented epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Taubes argues that the problem lies in refined carbohydrates, like white flour, easily digested starches, and sugars, and that the key to good health is the kind of calories we take in, not the number. In this groundbreaking book, award-winning science writer Gary Taubes shows us that almost everything we believe about the nature of a healthy diet is wrong."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible