The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (1943)

by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (175)  Hebrew (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (180)
A wonderful book on human integrity, how difficult it is to preserve the same and all the efforts a man takes to preserve and value the same. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This book comes with a reputation, Ayn Rand is said to have influenced many of the people of power on both sides of the Atlantic with her policy of 'Objectivism', and the glorification of self-interest. I found that any preconceptions I might have had along the lines of what such words mean to me were quickly dashed. It occurred to me that the philosophy she expounds in complex detail will have different meanings for people of different backgrounds and experience, and this feeling became stronger as I made my way through the book. The book demonstrates that words such as 'egotism', 'self-interest', 'altruism' are capable of many interpretations once they are applied to the way people interact. The book tells an architectural tale in which genius is obliged to co-exist with mediocrity, and how the two may conflict; indeed the book takes the view that conflict is inevitable. However, 'genius' is seen here as an absolute, as is an individual's capacity for understanding. Such concepts underpin the work, but above such things 'The Fountainhead' tells a powerful story which contains much of the unexpected and excites strong personal feelings about the principal characters. Despite its length I found it difficult to put down, and I feel enriched by it. ( )
2 vote CliffordDorset | Jan 29, 2015 |
I never feel really comfortable reviewing classics, books that have been studied by doctorites and were published twice as long ago as I have been alive. So I will share with you what I did and did not like about this book.

I love the way Ayn Rand writes. She writes in a way that I have never seen before, the way she describes emotions, or the lack of them surprises and delights me every time. I love the characters in this book, I know Howard Roark is not supposed to be a loved character but I can't help it. There is something enticing about someone who knows exactly who he is and what he wants in his life and stands up for it.

I hate Dominique, she annoys the crap out of me. I think it is the way she can't stand for what she wants, she has to go about destroying it instead. I am well aware of the undertones, political and social, but I just don't understand them, so these point of views are mine just on the book, as it is.

Nothing in the world can stop me from reading more of Ayn Rand's books. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Ms. Rand is really quite the storyteller, considering she's obviously insane. Seriously, she tells a good multi-layered yarn with interesting complex characters but based on this book and Atlas Shrugged, she's pretty out there. Objectivism is a crock of crap and the idea that a woman falls in love with a man who brutally rapes her (that's so Luke and Laura from General Hospital) is totally crackers. I liked the integrity of the architect, but the chick in the book was nuts just like Ms. Rand. ( )
1 vote AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
The only reason I won't say I hated it is because I enjoyed the film, and because it's good to know your enemies. It brought Ayn Rand onto the radar for me, and having come across her ramblings later, I'm glad to know why I'm in opposition to her and why. ( )
  Ra.Aiyana | Sep 1, 2014 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" ---Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191153, Mass Market Paperback)

The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,917,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible