The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (1943)

by Ayn Rand

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (173)  Hebrew (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (178)
I never feel really comfortable reviewing classics, books that have been studied by doctorites and were published twice as long ago as I have been alive. So I will share with you what I did and did not like about this book.

I love the way Ayn Rand writes. She writes in a way that I have never seen before, the way she describes emotions, or the lack of them surprises and delights me every time. I love the characters in this book, I know Howard Roark is not supposed to be a loved character but I can't help it. There is something enticing about someone who knows exactly who he is and what he wants in his life and stands up for it.

I hate Dominique, she annoys the crap out of me. I think it is the way she can't stand for what she wants, she has to go about destroying it instead. I am well aware of the undertones, political and social, but I just don't understand them, so these point of views are mine just on the book, as it is.

Nothing in the world can stop me from reading more of Ayn Rand's books. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Ms. Rand is really quite the storyteller, considering she's obviously insane. Seriously, she tells a good multi-layered yarn with interesting complex characters but based on this book and Atlas Shrugged, she's pretty out there. Objectivism is a crock of crap and the idea that a woman falls in love with a man who brutally rapes her (that's so Luke and Laura from General Hospital) is totally crackers. I liked the integrity of the architect, but the chick in the book was nuts just like Ms. Rand. ( )
1 vote AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
The only reason I won't say I hated it is because I enjoyed the film, and because it's good to know your enemies. It brought Ayn Rand onto the radar for me, and having come across her ramblings later, I'm glad to know why I'm in opposition to her and why. ( )
  Ra.Aiyana | Sep 1, 2014 |
Ever so often you encounter a book that has such a fresh way of looking at the human condition that you are stunned by it. This is one of those books. If only there were a word in the English language that means a noble selfishness - it would perfectly describe The Fountainhead. Too often the individual is sacrificed for the sake of the masses. Talent is jettisoned for what sells. Plagiarism becomes rampant and originality is decried. Here exists a man of extraordinary talent and an originality that confronts the popular idea of what is good. Yet what is good is determined by polls or popularity. Roark pursues his own agenda, his own design and knows his worth does not depend upon critics. When his design is sold out, he does the unthinkable - he destroys it and becomes a pariah at the verge of becoming popular. A very insightful book. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
One thing that struck me about this book is that way that Ayn Rand uses characterization. All of her characters are symbols for a larger truth, but she fleshes them out enough so that they exist in the novel as real individuals. This can be a very tricky thing, but she executed it beautifully. I admire her view of individualism, but completely disagree with her views on religion. Overall, a good read. I am looking forward to reading Atlas Shrugged. ( )
  silva_44 | Jul 3, 2014 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" ---Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191153, Mass Market Paperback)

The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:36 -0400)

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible