The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (1943)

by Ayn Rand

14,479196138 (3.92)247
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (188)  Hebrew (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (194)
Where do I start? This is one of the top few books I have ever read in my life. Part of how I know that is because I could see the characters in my head as the book was being narrated, and of course, the narration was great. I bought a copy of the book so I could re-read portions before I was even done listening to it the first time. I won't pretend to be smarter than I am...I don't get everything that Rand was trying to impress on the reader yet, but I am motivated to read more sources until I do. What I did get is the alarming similarities between the works of Ellsworth Toohey and that of some media outlets today. And the caricature (did I even spell that properly?) that Peter represented as the man who couldn't form an opinion without being told what he thought by Ellsworth et al. It was also very sensuous in terms of how two people can commit to one another, and maintain it across all manners of diversity. Well, that's it for now, I expect to add to this as I learn more. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Dense and full of ideas. Excellent read to savor over time. I enjoyed picking it up again and again. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Read this many years ago as a 20-something and I fell hook, line and sinker for Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism. I have long since parted ways with such thinking but, looking at The Fountainhead from a pure literary standpoint, I still regard this as an enjoyable read. Would have given it 4 stars had it not been for my distaste for the philosophy it embraces. The passion with which Rand writes shines though in the events that unfold in the novel and in the thoughts and actions of her characters. I look for books to make me feel invested in what is unfolding and this book does that. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
  BlackAsh13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
I read this back in high school during spring break. It was a book I couldn't put down. I don't agree with the philosophy, but I found it more palatable in the context of this book than in Atlas Shrugged. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" ---Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451191153, Mass Market Paperback)

The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,148,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible