dismiss

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (1943)

by Ayn Rand

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    Calumet "K" by Samuel Merwin (Cecrow)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (215)  French (3)  Hebrew (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (225)
This was a mesmerizing journey into the world of Ayn Rand's creation. The plot was great, the characters excellent, the dialogue striking, the themes unique and important, the setting: pulsating, and the execution incredible. Overall, there is little that I can find at fault with this book. While it was a long read, I felt invigorated by each development in the novel and I was fully entertained, challenged, and astounded from beginning to last. That is not to say that I am a complete convert to collectivism, mind you, but this is a novel that definitely should not be missed for anyone who respects literature. It is a sublime, resounding success and achievement. Rand has done something special here and it deserves to be read.

5 stars- absolutely no less. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 21, 2020 |
Liked: its an okay story. Disliked: too much crazy talk
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
Infantile drivel for small minds, many of which you'll find in the republican party ( )
  easytarget | Feb 5, 2020 |
This book was excellent. It was compelling in it's story and challenging and enlightening in it's ideas. It addressed many difficult subjects - love, the meaning of life and the nature of human relations - in a a thought-provoking manner that made me feel as though it had proposed answers to questions that I did not know how to phrase and whom to ask. I am very eager to read more by and about Ayn Rand. ( )
  AmirBaer | Jan 23, 2020 |
I recall Rand not appearing in any of my college philosophy courses, and while I didn't think much of her, I wondered why so I made the mistake of asking a few professors in a couple of classes. After they stopped laughing their asses off, they explained that she's such a lightweight simpleton that no "serious" philosopher or scholar takes that fraud seriously. And I concur. Her stuff is total horseshit and she shouldn't even be compared to the greats, let alone publicly referred to repeatedly in admiration by many of our politicians. ( )
  scottcholstad | Nov 29, 2019 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, Aynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurt, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" —Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,457,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible