Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead (original 1943; edition 1996)

by Ayn Rand (Author)

Here is the story of an intransigent young architect, Howard Roark, of his violent battle against a mindless status quo, and of his explosive love affair with a beautiful woman who worships him yet struggles to defeat him. In order to build his kind of buildings according to his own standards, Roark must fight against every variant of human corruption.… (more)
Member:Dydee
Title:The Fountainhead
Authors:Ayn Rand (Author)
Info:Signet (1996), Edition: Anniversary, 720 pages

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (Author) (1943)

Recently added byCasadeCox, Arina40, goldenotebook, RyanStandley, private library, flatron774ft
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose, Sylvia Plath, Carl Sandburg
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (bigtent21, thebookpile)
    bigtent21: "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" are becoming more relevant as we head into 2009. Large Government Buyouts and Regulation are the scourge of Atlas Shrugged and the outright sponsoring of mediocrity predominates The Fountainhead. Rand can be long-winded, but these two books are must reads regardless of your own personal beliefs.… (more)
    Essays on Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: Gain a deeper understanding and appreciation on the classic novel from this collection of scholarly criticism.
    Anthem by Ayn Rand (Voracious_Reader)
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    Calumet "K" by Samuel Merwin (Cecrow)
    The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (edwinbcn)
    Dreamhunter by Elizabeth Knox (SunnySD)
    Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The real world results of libertarianism.
    Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland (Alixtii)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Voracious_Reader)

English (218)  French (3)  Hebrew (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (229)
what a read ( )
  Yashika.Sharma | Sep 2, 2020 |
I read this mostly because one of my students back in high school was reading it. She was reading it for an essay contest, so in order to help out, I felt I needed to read the book as well. When I read it, I found myself identifying with the character of Roark at times and his struggle against convention. However, not the greatest piece of fiction (I think it was because of the love story elements; it is not my favorite genre), in my opinion. And yet, the book did give me a lot to think about at the time, which was a time when I felt I was surrounded by a lot of mediocrity. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
I can hardly be objective about any of Ayn Rand's books, seeing as how I was a rabid Randroid back during college and read most of her books during that time.

My opinion of this book when I read it was that I liked it, so I'm sticking with that review. Revising my rating on the basis of what I think now would be retconning my life - ew. ( )
  nandiniseshadri | Jul 12, 2020 |
Odd so far. The main character is a difficult read--aloof, brilliant, and mostly indifferent to the others..not really conceited so much as in just not giving a damn...

It's a slow molasses start...will see how far I get with it. ( )
  CurioCollective | Jun 25, 2020 |
This was a mesmerizing journey into the world of Ayn Rand's creation. The plot was great, the characters excellent, the dialogue striking, the themes unique and important, the setting: pulsating, and the execution incredible. Overall, there is little that I can find at fault with this book. While it was a long read, I felt invigorated by each development in the novel and I was fully entertained, challenged, and astounded from beginning to last. That is not to say that I am a complete convert to collectivism, mind you, but this is a novel that definitely should not be missed for anyone who respects literature. It is a sublime, resounding success and achievement. Rand has done something special here and it deserves to be read.

5 stars- absolutely no less. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 21, 2020 |
[Miss Rand] has written a hymn in praise of the individual and has said things worth saying in these days. Whether her antithesis between altruism and selfishness is logically correct or not, she has written a powerful indictment.

Rand, AynAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hurt, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peikoff, LeonardAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." _____Ayn Rand
To Frank O'Connor
Howard Roark laughed.
To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I".
"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" —Victor Hugo.

Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is the story of Howard Roark, a man who stands up for his principles in a world where they are not valued. He pays the price for it, with his rivals like Peter Keating getting ahead. But he runs his own race, because the race everyone else runs is one filled with compromise and without integrity. He falls in love with a woman, whom he must first teach to live in a world like this. He stands tall, alone, and shows us the essence of individualism.
The selfless man is/acting as his own builder/and as destroyer (missteacher)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,554,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible