Over in the Meadow: An Old Counting Rhyme by…

Over in the Meadow: An Old Counting Rhyme

by Olive A. Wadsworth

This book was great due to the sequencing with numbers and the illustrations that the author uses. The sequencing with numbers goes from numbers one through ten, using animals to make it interesting and more relatable to younger students. I also like the illustrations the author uses. They have the words of how man animals there are and then an illustration of those animals to accompany the words. This will be extremely helpful for visual learners. The purpose of this story is to aid readers in learning the numbers one through ten. ( )
  adietr3 | Apr 4, 2017 |
The book Over in the Meadow is a great book for beginning readers. This book is full of fun rhymes that also work on counting. Each animal comes with a new rhyme about where they are and how many babies they have. My favorite rhyme was “ Over in the meadow, in a hole in a tree, lived a mother bluebird and her little birdies three. “Sing!” said the mother. “We sing,” said the three. So they sang and were glad, in the hole in the tree”. This combination or rhymes and counting will make it easy for beginning readers to catch onto the pattern and the flow of the book. The illustrations also help make the book interesting for readers. Each page describes a new animal doing an action specific to that animal and the illustrations help the reader see that action and see how many animals are involved. Theses illustrations are assets to the readers because from the pattern of the book you are able to guess what the words on each page will say. Although there is no moral or big idea to this book, I would still recommend the book to beginning readers. ( )
  awelch12 | Mar 13, 2017 |
I like the book for two reasons. The first reason is the flow of the book. I enjoyed the combination of rhyme with the skill of counting. For example, “Over in the meadow in a snug beehive, Lived an old mother bee and her little bees five.” All of the animals have a rhyme with their assigned number which helps make the amount more memorable.
I also like the illustrations. I like how each page is inviting and “cutesy.” The illustrator was able to make bees, mice, lizards, and other typically undesirable animals adorable. My favorite page, based on illustration, is the page with the nine baby crows. I love the highly the contrasting colors of the mother crow with the black of the feathers and the white of the flowers. These illustrations are fascinating to look at and capture an audience very well. The main point of this book is to count through the theme of baby animals. ( )
  CathiRussell | Feb 26, 2016 |
24 months - a classic rhyming poem. Although for the life of me I can't make "seven" rhyme with "even". The illustrations are what you'd expect of Ezra Jack Keats - bold, flat, collage like and colorful. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Shows 1-10 cout along with the mother and children learning what is needed in the meadow.
  mvasquez7943 | Feb 18, 2015 |

Wadsworth, Olive A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carter, David A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keats, Ezra JackIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rae, Mary MakiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vojtech, AnnaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Bright cut-paper collages bring a traditional Southern Appalachian counting rhyme to new life, allowing young readers to take a tour of nature as they learn to count from one to ten. By the illustrator of How Many Bugs in a Box.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:00 -0400)

Verses describing the activities of various animals also illustrate the numbers one through ten.

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible