The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart

The Last Enchantment (original 1979; edition 1981)

by Mary Stewart

Member:cerce7
Title:The Last Enchantment
Authors:Mary Stewart
Info:Fawcett (1981), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Arthurian Legend, Merlin, Fantasy

The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart (1979)

English (16)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
I don't think this is the correct edition. Mine isn't abridged, but I didn't see the correct one. I think the reader is correct & very good. An excellent end to the trilogy. I know Stewart added another book years later & while I have read it once, I don't really want to listen to it. This is plenty. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This third book in Stewart's Merlin saga picks up right where The Hollow Hills left off: Arthur has just been crowned High King of Britain, and now he must confront the various threats to his kingdom. He immediately engages in battle with the Saxons and attains victory after victory, but the more serious dangers to Arthur's kingship come from within. First, Morgause has managed to hide away Mordred, the son she conceived during her incestuous liaison with Arthur, who will ultimately be Arthur's doom. There's also the necessity of ensuring the succession, which means Arthur must find a bride. And finally, some of the northern kings are chafing under Arthur's rule, so he faces internal rebellions as well as external threats. Through all of this, Merlin remains by Arthur's side to give him advice, friendship, and the occasional prophecy.

My biggest feeling on finishing this book is one of relief -- I'm finally done with this trilogy! (Yes, there is a fourth book, The Wicked Day, but I don't own that one and have no intention of reading it.) It's not badly written at all, but it moves so slowly that I couldn't wait to be done! I think the pitfall of telling Arthur's story from Merlin's point of view is that (at least in this version of events) Merlin likes to go off by himself to read or tend his garden or visit foreign lands, so he's not by Arthur's side during all the interesting parts. There's almost nothing in this book about Arthur's knights, or his relationship with Guinevere, or most of the famous legends of Camelot. In short, I found this book -- and the series as a whole -- pretty boring, although maybe Arthur enthusiasts would enjoy it more. Personally, it's not something I ever need to read again.
2 vote christina_reads | Nov 13, 2013 |
I never read the first two books in this trilogy. I read this book for my Arthurian class for college. The good news was that I didn’t feel lost at all starting with this last book. Arthur is on the throne and Merlin’s powers are leaving him. Stewart has definitely done a lot of research. This book isn’t a history lesson, it’s a story but with the history woven in so well that you get caught up with the characters more than anything. The writing style was a little too… I don’t know. I had a hard time getting into the story. The character’s saved the story for me. Maybe sometime in the future I’ll give it another try when someone hasn’t forced me to read it. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Aug 19, 2013 |
Now that Arthur is king, Merlin takes a step back, and somehow the magic is gone. What is left is a very convincing version of the familiar episodes, but the sense of a unique viewpoint through Merlin's eye is diminished. ( )
1 vote MissWatson | Apr 22, 2013 |
this was very abridged and i was scattered. ( )
  mahallett | Oct 30, 2011 |
To one who was dead and is alive again, who was lost and is found.
Not every king would care to start his reign with the wholesale massacre of children.

Arthur is King! But while he is unchallenged on the battlfield, sinister powers plot to destroy him in his own Camelot. When the rose-gold witch Morgause, Arthur's half-sister, ensnares him into an incestuous liaison -- and bears his son, Mordred, to use to her own evil ends -- a fatal web of love, betrayal and vengeance begins....

Seen through the eyes of Arthur's prophetic protector, Merlin -- whose own mysterious powers are in dire danger -- here is a tale rich with the majesty and turbulence of the magnificent legend it tells....resplendent with Mary Stewart's own special magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:36 -0400)

Arthur Pendragon is King! Unchallenged on the battlefield, he melds the country together in a time of promise. But sinister powers plot to destroy Camelot, and when the witch-queen Morgause -- Arthur's own half sister -- ensnares him in an incestuous liaison, a fatal web of love, betrayal, and bloody vengeance is woven.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,489,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible