Friends in High Places (2000)

by Donna Leon

Investigating the lack of a building permit for Commissioner Brunetti's apartment, a young bureaucrat uncovers a frightening secret and promptly dies from an apparently accidental fall; investigating his death in turn, Brunetti is drawn into a world of drugs, loan-sharking, and corruption.

English (22)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
law-enforcement, family-dynamics, friendship, historic-buildings, murder, murder-investigation, Venice, political-corruption*****

From bureaucratic red tape to cover-up murders in Venice. A young bureaucrat comes to warn Brunetti that his home may be demolished over a paperwork issue, calls Brunetti on a police matter, and is brutally murdered. That is the first murder. In the course of the investigation there are more murders, more corruption, moral dilemmas, and more. Another excellent example of the author's craft!
David Colacci is the voice of Guido Brunetti to my mind. As always, he does a fine job with this series giving personality to each and every character. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Dec 1, 2020 |
I really like all the Guido Brunetti mysteries. This was no exception. I found this title on a list somewhere of top mysteries. I wish I could remember what list it was. David Colacci is an excellent narrator for this series. I do find I need to go for a good Italian meal after reading on of Donna Leon's books. ( )
  njcur | Aug 5, 2020 |
Eine Ermittlung gegen Brunetti? Unmöglich. Zwar geht es nur um seine Eigentumswohnung und die Baubewilligung, doch Brunetti muß das Schlimmste befürchten. Als der zuständige Beamte wenig später von einem Baugerüst stürzt, weiß Brunetti mit Sicherheit, dass es keineswegs nur um seine Wohnung geht. Seine Ermittlungen führen ihn in die venezianische Drogenszene, zu Wucher und Korruption. Nur FEINE FREUNDE können da noch helfen.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Ein durchschnittlicher Brunetti-Roman, leider ist das Mordmotiv nicht überraschend oder interessant, sondern nur Marke "Standard". ( )
  volumed42 | May 1, 2019 |
Commissario Brunetti first discovers he is living in a grey area of legality and later assigns himself the investigation of probable murder of the young official who brought it to his attention. Also brought and excluded from his attention are many of the darkest areas of legal morass in Venice, and he does not emerge unsmudged, or in fact, entirely emerge. The darkest of these mysteries I've read, and not particularly satisfying. ( )
  quondame | Apr 29, 2019 |
. . . Ah dove
Sconsigliato t'inoltri?
In queste mura
Sai, che non è sicura
La tua vita

Where are you going so rashly?
You know that within these walls
Your life is not safe.
-- Lucio Silla Mozart
for Christine Donougher and Roderick Conway-Morris
When the doorbell rang, Brunetti lay supine on the sofa in his living room, a book propped open on his stomach.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,960,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible