BISTRO COOKING. by Patricia. Wells

BISTRO COOKING. (edition 1999)

by Patricia. Wells

Member:Johnny.B.Good
Title:BISTRO COOKING.
Authors:Patricia. Wells
Info:Ted Smart (1999), Paperback, 292 pages
Tags:Paperback, Cooking, Cookbook, Recipes, Hearty, Food, Paris, French, Recipes, Menus, Bistro, Preparation, Reference, Guide, How To, Patricia Wells, Wells

Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells

Patricia Wells is my new best friend. I have had her cookbook, Bistro Cooking, for a while but only recently began cooking out of it. The recipes are simple but hearty French bistro fare that rely on the best ingredients for flavor, and each one I have attempted has been delicious. Her Marinated Goat Cheese, for instance, should be a pantry staple; it keeps for a long time, and it is a tasty snack and a useful ingredient to have on hand for salads and other dishes.

Wells’ book Bistro Cooking encourages you to keep great ingredients on hand in order to quickly put together satisfying meals that don’t require the fussy handling and intricate preparation we often associate with French cooking. I love turning my kitchen into a French bistro. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 19, 2012 |
Patricia Wells is on a mission to translate everyday French cooking into recipes that Americans can love. Bistro Cooking is a compendium of the best recipes of beloved French bistro chefs crafted for the American kitchen. I've tried dozens of these recipes and they all work well. Many have become part of my regular repertoire. Here you will find the very best way to make potatoes au gratin with very little trouble and consistently perfect results; a melt-in-your-mouth apple tart that looks like it came from a Paris bakery window; simple salads that satisfy; and many other dishes from soup to dessert.

Wells' book is an excellent teacher for the home chef and I have learned a good deal about French cooking from her. She shows techniques learned from kitchens that must serve a discerning public. These are far easier than Julia Childs' painstaking classics. A one-time food critic, Wells has chosen well from the bistro repertoire.

This is not a book for the busy. Many of its recipes require planning ahead (the beef daube must be marinated in red wine for a day in advance) and longer cooking times (again, a few hours for the daube). But it is a godsend for a special Sunday dinner or a party. ( )
1 vote etsmith | Apr 20, 2010 |
I can't praise this cookbook highly enough. (Which is funny, because her other books gave gotten lukewarm user reviews on Amazon.) It's the one I cook out of most living in France at present. I'm not sure how well it would translate to a north American setting, but at least the tarts and the potato dishes could be made in the U.S., and they alone are worth the price of the book. I wonder now why I ever made pies--tarts are lighter, easier, and more varied. The salads are wonderful; so are the egg dishes... This really gave me a sense for French cooking, or at least this genre of French cooking, and helped me over that hurdle of intimidation to start cooking French on my own. Most highly recommended! ( )
  SarahEHWilson | Jan 6, 2010 |

Patricia Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, Judy KleiberAssistantsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Bought this book in grad school for first MA, actually began using with some regularity years after 2nd graduate degree. There are some great recipes for rabbit, lamb and chicken that aren't super complicated. However there are some that do require more effort and ingredients, which is why I think getting out of grad school helped.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0894806238, Paperback)

In this warm look into the world of French bistro food, eminent food writer Patricia Wells reveals her love for this simple, robust cuisine in a collection of recipes garnered from France's best bistros. From Warm Potato Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette to Lamb Stew in White Wine to Pear Clafoutis, Wells admits her preference for hearty, homey bistro dishes. Through clearly written recipes, Wells encourages cooks to buy the best ingredients and turn them into fragrant, warming dishes. Each recipe has a note telling where it came from and alluding to its flavor. Pithy quotes throughout the book relate to bistro style--in cooking, serving, and eating--and historical quotations give a cultural connotation. Wine choices reach deep into the heart of France, from a crisp white from Provence such as a Chateau Simone with lamb, to a good Côtes du Rhone (Cru du Coudelet) with guinea hen. From the introduction to the last dessert recipe (for Prunes in Red Wine), Bistro Cooking is sure to please not just the novice in the kitchen, but the experienced cook as well. --Susan Loomis, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:07 -0400)

For all occasions, 'Bistro Cooking' provides the kind of uncomplicated good food that cooks everywhere enjoy. From leek, potato and bacon soup to Madame Francoise Potel's apple tart, each recipe has been prepared, tested and adapted by an acclaimed French food authority.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible