Blubber by Judy Blume

Blubber (1974)

by Judy Blume

a Pennsylvania fifth-grader joins her classmates in ostracizing and bullying Linda, an awkward and overweight girl ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
Though originally published in 1974, Blubber is still plenty relevant today. Jill and her friends start mercilessly bullying another girl in their class, Linda, after she gives a report on whales. They begin calling Linda "Blubber" and taunting her about her weight. Things really start to spiral out of control, and there are some really upsetting and vivid depictions of what Jill and her friends do to Linda. The unfortunate realities of bullying are really well illustrated in this book. Things come full circle when Jill is the one getting bullied, and I would love to say that she realizes she was wrong and becomes a better person....but, well, you'll just have to read for yourself! I recommend this book to grades 5-8. -EC ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Mar 16, 2016 |
Summary: A young girl named Jill and her friends pick on another girl in their class named Linda after Linda does a report on whales in their class. The girls call her Blubber and make fun of her weight and in general are absolutely terrible to her. The tables turn when Jill sticks up for Linda, and Jill finds herself alone and being bullied by the girls who used to be her friends. In the end, everyone makes peace and the girls stop being mean to each other.

Personal Reactions: This book was hard to read because I was made fun of as a kid. I do appreciate how the story was told from the side of the bully, and how she ends up understanding how hard school must have been for Linda. Bullying is a sensitive topic, but it's one that needs to be addressed and I think this book is a good way to do that.

Classroom Extensions:
1. The book begins with the kids in the class reading reports about their favorite animals, this would be a nice extension project for this book.
2. Open up the discussion of bullying. Talk about times when we may have no been as nice as we could have been. ( )
  emcnally | Mar 15, 2016 |
Wow. What a painful book. It is well-written, but the truth of it really hits home. The school years can be excruciating, especially if you are a girl. Girls can be so mean! I was surprised by the harshness of the characters, but found it to be very accurate. There is very little remorse in bullying until you yourself are bullied. And the ease with which this mantle is swapped from girl to girl is extraordinary. Without a real beginning or ending, it is simply an account; a snapshot of time in the lives of a few students. A good book for younger readers. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I read this because it was on a Banned Books list (presumably for the cussing). This was horrific. I was disappointed that the main character's parents never found what a little sh*t their kid was and the punishment for filling a neighbor's mailbox with raw, dripping egg was raking leaves? Seriously? I suspect Blubber will grow up into Carrie White after some of this crap. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
"It's very foolish to laugh if you don't know what's funny in the first place."  My best friend, Tracy Wu, says I'm really tough on people.

A fifth grade girl, is bullied by her classmates because she is overweight. and thats why they call her blubber

Blubber is a good name for her, the note from Wendy says about Linda. Jill crumples it up and leaves it on the corner of her desk. She doesn't want to think about Linda or her dumb report on the whale just now. Jill wants to think about Halloween.

But Robby grabs the note, and before Linda stops talking it has gone halfway around the room.

That's where it all starts. There's something about Linda that makes a lot of kids in her fifth-grade class want to see how far they can go -- but nobody, least of all Jill, expects the fun to end where it does.

A New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

Jill goes along with the rest of the fifth-grade class in tormenting a classmate and then finds out what it's like when she, too, becomes a target.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,818,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible