Blubber by Judy Blume

Blubber (1974)

by Judy Blume

Wow. What a painful book. It is well-written, but the truth of it really hits home. The school years can be excruciating, especially if you are a girl. Girls can be so mean! I was surprised by the harshness of the characters, but found it to be very accurate. There is very little remorse in bullying until you yourself are bullied. And the ease with which this mantle is swapped from girl to girl is extraordinary. Without a real beginning or ending, it is simply an account; a snapshot of time in the lives of a few students. A good book for younger readers. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
I read this because it was on a Banned Books list (presumably for the cussing). This was horrific. I was disappointed that the main character's parents never found what a little sh*t their kid was and the punishment for filling a neighbor's mailbox with raw, dripping egg was raking leaves? Seriously? I suspect Blubber will grow up into Carrie White after some of this crap. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
This is the story told through the eyes of a fifth grade girl, named Jill, who is actually part of the group that is bullying one of their classmates. However, once Jill breaks the deal with one of her “friends”, she realizes very quickly how easy it is for her to become the next victim. This is an eye-opening children’s novel that gives readers an insight on a side of bullying that is most often not told.

Students rarely get to see bullying through the eyes of the bully. This book gives so much insight on a topic, and it could be very eye-opening to students. Judy Bloom gives insight on the topic of peer pressure, and that students need to be careful of who their friends are.

Realistic Fiction chapter book
Reading Level: 3.8
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this novel. Judy Blume has a great way of writing that intrigues the reader, while also making them think deeply about the issues at hand. Blubber is a story about a group of girls that our main character is in, that keep picking on a heavy set girl in their class. The point of view is from a girl named Jill, who participates in the bullying throughout the story. The writing is clear, and the characters are well-developed. The reader really thinks about bullying during the story, and analyzes how they are treating other people. Jill's mom really places an important role in this deeper thinking by asking important questions. The message of the story is about peer pressure and bullies. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
I enjoyed this chapter book. It reminded me of middle school. The story was about a girl named Jill, who is narrating the book. She is friends with Wendy, and they like bullying people, especially Linda who they call "blubber". They bully Linda physically and psychologically, and one day she promised she's going to get revenge on Jill and Wendy. So one day, when Jill and Wendy get in trouble, Jill automatically blames Linda, even though it wasn' t her. Wendy ends up turning against Jill during a "mock trial" and they stop being friends. Her class turns against her, including Blubber, but Jill decides to turn the friends against each other. In the end, no one is friends with who they started with and everything has changed. I liked this book because it truly focused on bullying and friendships and how great of an effect it can have, Girls are cruel, and it brought me back to my Middle School days when everyone was mean to each other for no reason. I think that this book is good because it teaches girls about friendships and how bullying is not okay. Almost every girl has read this book, and I think there's a good reason for it. ( )
  lgrube4 | Dec 2, 2014 |
"It's very foolish to laugh if you don't know what's funny in the first place."  My best friend, Tracy Wu, says I'm really tough on people.

A fifth grade girl, is bullied by her classmates because she is overweight. and thats why they call her blubber

Blubber is a good name for her, the note from Wendy says about Linda. Jill crumples it up and leaves it on the corner of her desk. She doesn't want to think about Linda or her dumb report on the whale just now. Jill wants to think about Halloween.

But Robby grabs the note, and before Linda stops talking it has gone halfway around the room.

That's where it all starts. There's something about Linda that makes a lot of kids in her fifth-grade class want to see how far they can go -- but nobody, least of all Jill, expects the fun to end where it does.

A New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

Jill goes along with the rest of the fifth-grade class in tormenting a classmate and then finds out what it's like when she, too, becomes a target.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,181,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible