Dark Horse by Tami Hoag

Dark Horse (2002)

by Tami Hoag

Series: Elena Estes (1)

Recently added byBingeReader87, sslib, private library, Rena37, mcaron426, Arelwynn

English (11)  Dutch (2)  All (13)
This was one book I couldn't put down and enjoyed every minute of it. Can't wait to read another ( )
  askum | Jan 19, 2014 |
After almost loosing her life in a bust gone bad this ex-cop works her way back to recovery on the back or a friend's dressage horse. She becomes involved in a search for a missing girl, and tries to track down a killer. Lots of twist and turns, ( )
  BackyardHorse | Feb 15, 2012 |
Enjoyable crime book from Hoag (who is also a romance novelist, but dont let that put you off).

This book is set against the back drop of the rich people and large money involved in high end horse world, showing the dark side involving drugs, payoffs, murder, and crooks
  nordie | Jun 17, 2011 |
Tami Hoag's latest book is Prior Bad Acts. I have not read it yet. I have read Kill The Messenger and now, having read Dark Horse, I am really noticing a change in Tami Hoag's writing style. I enjoyed the basic plot of Dark Horse and I really got into the characters - especially Elena Estes. I think her character would make a good character for a series. The book seemed too long and drawn out to me. I found it also to be very slow paced in places. There was no real plot twist and no romance - which is an aspect of Tami Hoag's books I have enjoyed in the past. There was also some loose ends in the climax/conclusion inregards to what happened to Van Zandt. The characters never found out what really happened to him. Not one of Tami Hoag's best. ( )
  chrissywest | Jan 9, 2011 |
Disappointing. I could not connect to Elena Estes very well, even though the story was fairly gripping, it did prevent me from continuing with the story, which was a pity. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jul 13, 2010 |

Tami Hoagprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, BlairReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McDonald, Bethsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Starr, Patsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zegers de Beijl, KarinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553583573, Mass Market Paperback)

In her latest thriller, New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag takes readers on a suspense-filled ride of shocks and twists leading to an explosive finish. It is the story of an ex-cop, a missing girl, and a killer locked in a race where there can be only one winner—and the losers die trying.

In a trailer in a Florida swamp, time is running out for eighteen year-old Erin Seabright. A pawn in a kidnapper's terrifying game for a ransom no one can pay, her last hope is a washed-up ex-cop who has already lost it all-not once, but twice.

The wealthy world of the Palm Beach horse set seems a long way from a cop's world in the narcotics division. A lifetime ago, undercover sheriff's detective Elena Estes worked the mean streets and BackTop alleys, living by her wits and playing the long odds until she took one risk too many. Now Estes lives on the ragged edge of lost hope and self-hatred, hiding from the past and believing she doesn't deserve to have a future. But the past is about to come back with a vengeance, and the future is about to become a race between life and death.

A young woman is missing and her twelve year-old stepsister comes to Estes for help. No one but serious, studious Molly Seabright seems concerned about what's happened to her troubled older sister. But Molly is convinced Erin is in danger. Estes has no P.I. license, no interest in a new career, and no desire to break her self-imposed exile. But the more she learns about the people Erin Seabright was involved with, the more her long-dormant cop instincts come back to life.

One trip to the show grounds where Erin worked as a groom, and Estes is quickly pulled to the dark side of a glamorous sport. Behind the glittering, ultra-rich facade is an ultra-ruthless world of drugs, payoffs, and dirty deals. A world of dissolute playboys and crooked horse-dealers, of royalty and rabble, of rivals and enemies. An obscenely wealthy world where anything can be had for a price—including a life.

And in that world stalks a killer who will lead Estes down a dark, twisted trail of decadence and deceit, mayhem and murder—from the gilded life of Palm Beach to the darkest corners of the Florida swamps, to a final show-down that could cost her everything. A race against time and evil. A race in which Estes is the dark horse—and no one is betting on her to win.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

An outcast after her actions cost the life of a fellow officer in the Palm Beach County sheriff's office, ex-cop Elena Estes seeks refuge in rural Florida, where she confronts the ruthlessness of international equestrian competions while searching for a missing girl.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible