In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by…

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Michael Pollan

Member:AnimalWelfareApprove
Title:In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:Penguin Press HC, The (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:animal welfare, family farm, sustainable agriculture, humane meat

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (2008)

English (158)  Spanish (1)  All languages (159)
Great book! Just like all of the books by this author. Food shouldn't be this interesting, but this book makes it fun. If you want to sort through all of the various muddled advice that's out there today about what we should be eating, this book will make it simple. It's hard to read it without wanting to eat "better" (which the author would say not only means more healthy but more fun and more tasty, too). ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Meh. I really liked The Omnivore's Dilemma, but this was just coasting on his previous success.

I don't trust Michael Pollan's grasp of science enough to believe that he always understands what certain studies have or haven't shown, though he certainly lays out his arguments persuasively. And for all his complaining about oversimplification of the "Western diet," his prescriptions can be pretty simplified themselves.

Still, if it gets people to think about some of the silly and harmful ways they think about food, it will have done a good thing. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
i went to nyc at the beginning of disc 5. and my memory is not great but it seemed interesting. good narrator. ( )
  mahallett | Nov 24, 2013 |
Interesting book, though not revolutionary it's an approach to food that I can get behind. Pollan argues for a new relationship to food - eat food, not too much and mostly grains. Cook your food, eat a little of what you fancy, avoid food things that make health claims, trust yourself, cook yourself, eat at a table, know that what's in your plate is part of what goes in your body. Don't believe that fats, carbs, meat or sugars are bad, eat whole foods that your great-grandmother would recognize. Eat the best food if you can afford it, make it diverse, make it colourful, make it about the senses. It takes more time to cook and it's more expensive to shop but Pollan mostly is all about enjoying every meal that you make for its quality and the rest will take care of itself. I didn't enjoy his very sexist approach to cooking - you don't need to a mum to do that, Pollan, but the rest is well worth reading. If you're looking for specific pointers at what you should and should not eat, this book is not for you. If you think the current obsession with nutritional value has nothing to do with what food is about, then you might want to pick up a copy. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Pollan charges that the reductive analysis of food into nutrient components is a flawed paradigm. The wholeness of the food experience is examined in European society, and deemed good. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 29, 2013 |

Michael Pollanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann and Gerry,
With gratitude for your loyal friendship
and inspired editing
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
…the "what to eat" question is somewhat more complicated for us than it is for, say, cows. Yet for most of human history, humans have navigated the question without expert advice. To guide us we had, instead, Culture, which, at least when it comes to food, is really just a fancy word for your mother.
Challenges current approaches to healthy eating, arguing that the real food consumed by past generations is being replaced with commercialized, scientifically altered foods that offer no health benefits and may cause serious damage, and encourages people to change the way they eat and return to basic nutrition rules.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143114964, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, January 2008: Food is the one thing that Americans hate to love and, as it turns out, love to hate. What we want to eat has been ousted by the notion of what we should eat, and it's at this nexus of hunger and hang-up that Michael Pollan poses his most salient question: where is the food in our food? What follows in In Defense of Food is a series of wonderfully clear and thoughtful answers that help us omnivores navigate the nutritional minefield that's come to typify our food culture. Many processed foods vie for a spot in our grocery baskets, claiming to lower cholesterol, weight, glucose levels, you name it. Yet Pollan shows that these convenient "healthy" alternatives to whole foods are appallingly inconvenient: our health has a nation has only deteriorated since we started exiling carbs, fats--even fruits--from our daily meals. His razor-sharp analysis of the American diet (as well as its architects and its detractors) offers an inspiring glimpse of what it would be like if we could (a la Humpty Dumpty) put our food back together again and reconsider what it means to eat well. In a season filled with rallying cries to lose weight and be healthy, Pollan's call to action—"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."--is a program I actually want to follow. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." These simple words go to the heart of food journalist Pollan's thesis. Humans used to know how to eat well, he argues, but the balanced dietary lessons that were once passed down through generations have been confused and distorted by food industry marketers, nutritional scientists, and journalists. As a result, we face today a complex culinary landscape dense with bad advice and foods that are not "real." Indeed, plain old eating is being replaced by an obsession with nutrition that is, paradoxically, ruining our health, not to mention our meals. Pollan's advice is: "Don't eat anything that your great-great grandmother would not recognize as food." Looking at what science does and does not know about diet and health, he proposes a new way to think about what to eat, informed by ecology and tradition rather than by the nutrient-by-nutrient approach.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible