The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage

Authors:Elizabeth Brundage
Info:Viking Adult (date?), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read but No Longer Own
Rating:***
Tags:arc, fiction, read no longer own

The Doctor's Wife by Elizabeth Brundage

The Abortionist's Daughter by Elisabeth Hyde (SugarCreekRanch)
    SugarCreekRanch: These two books have similar themes. Abortionist's Daughter is a lighter, quicker read. Doctor's Wife is darker and more thought-provoking. Both excellent stories.

As far as novels go, this one wasn't half bad -- it was somewhat predictable, though, and the love affair that served as the main crux of the plot was described so tepidly that I didn't at all buy it when the people involved professed their love for each other. Perhaps the author has never had a grand and passionate love affair; readers who have, therefore, may find this a bit flat. ( )
  Seven.Stories.Press | Jun 13, 2014 |
I have to say I liked this book much more than I expected. Dr. Michael Knowles is a doctor who volunteers at an abortion clinic and his wife is a college English professor. Simon Haas is an artist/teacher at the same college and his wife is a mentally unstable Christian fundamentalist. This story is about these two couples and how their lives are completely inter-woven. A really good read ( )
  missjomarch | May 14, 2013 |
One of my favorite books of all time. The story has stayed with me for years. The mystery is tangible within beautiful prose. The characters are all ALIVE and the ending is surprising and fully satisfying. ( )
  Suzannepalmieri | Mar 5, 2013 |
A dark, creepy story of a love triangle. The doctor's wife has an affair with a painter who's wife is involved in a Prolife movement. The doctor volunteers at an abortion clinic. Very creepy character, the painter's wife. Good reading, but not for all. ( )
  LivelyLady | Jul 15, 2012 |
Holy crap this was a good book! Kept me going and wanting to read it. ( )
  KKG | May 26, 2012 |
Goosey, goosey gander, Whither shall I wander? Upstairs and downstairs, And in my lady's chamber; There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers, I took him by the leg and threw him down the stairs.
For Scott, Hannah, Sophie, and Sam
The memory starts here, in my apron pocket, with the gun.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452286913, Paperback)

A suspense novel crossed with a literary exploration of infidelity and marital rancor, Elizabeth Brundage's ambitious debut, The Doctor's Wife, provides more than the usual kick of adrenalin for readers. In a small town in upstate New York, urban transplants Annie and Michael Knowles--he is a rising OB/GYN, and she is a once-trailblazing journalist who has settled into a teaching job--hope to escape the noise and bustle of the city. But both are drawn into danger: Annie begins an affair with an infamous (and married) painter, Simon Haas, and Michael is coaxed into helping an ex-lover at her family planning clinic. He performs abortions for poor women, and tries to ignore the cars that follow him home and the increasingly threatening phone calls. ometimes Brundage perfectly navigates the twisting, overlapping elements of her complicated story line, but other times gives us too much at a time. And one of her characters, Simon's disturbed wife Lydia Haas, is so fascinating that she puts the others in the shade. Nevertheless, this is a rich first novel and a promising beginning for its author. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:29 -0400)

"From the outside, the Knowles family appeared to have it all - a loving marriage, two beautiful children, a home in an idyllic part of the countryside in upstate New York. Michael is a rising OB/GYN at a prominent private practice, his wife, Annie, teaches at a local college. But Annie's role as 'the doctor's wife' has worn thin, and Michael has answered the call of an old flame to moonlight at the local women's health center, the city's only provider of abortions. These subtle cracks in their life widen when anonymous threats arrive at their home. The reason for this intimidation is not at all clear: is it, as seems to be the case, the work of religious extremists opposed to what Michael is doing? Or are these violent warnings meant for Annie? For she has made at least one certain enemy in town - Lydia Haas, the painter's wife, a disturbed young woman with a cellar full of her own dark secrets. Told in the alternating viewpoints of Michael, Annie, Simon, and Lydia ..."--Publisher's description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible