Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

Dark Tort (2006)

by Diane Mott Davidson

Recently added byWandolibrary, private library, Hebron-Library, mccbookdrive, CC123, fswitz, Merryann

For someone who isn't a homicide detective, Goldy sure has a lot of contact with murders! This latest involves lawyers (automatic bad guys, right?), infidelity, theft, and jealousy. Goldie manages to put all the pieces together, but not before her own brush with death. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 24, 2015 |
Goldy is going in to help a young friend learn to bake, they meet weekly at the law office the young woman is working at as a paralegal. When Goldy stumbles and falls coming into the office, she is hurt and has thrown food all over the place. Turning to look at what caused her to fall, she finds her friend, Dusty. Dusty is unresponsive and after performing CPR for quite some time, Goldy gives up, calls the police and starts a chain of events that lead to theft, murder, infidelity and puts Goldy at risk.

As usual there are some delectable foods woven through the story, Goldy is catering, trying to find out who killed Dusty, keeping track of Arch and Gus, and generally having a very busy, very confused and very dangerous week.

I do love this series and am enjoying spending some time catching up on it, still several books behind so have more Goldy left to read. ( )
  bookswoman | May 3, 2015 |
not bad, kept me interested. and there are recipes after the last chapter ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
Two is a generous review. It was hard to figure out what was going on and who did it and why. I also disliked the reader. I don't recommend this audio book. ( )
  csobolak | Jun 11, 2013 |
It's been a few years since I last read a Goldy mystery. I thought maybe I'd grown so critical in my reading that I'd not like these books -- that I'd find them super cheesy and ridiculous (possibly why I'd stopped picking them up), but this one is a pleasant surprise. It's escape literature, for certain, but decent in that category. At least for this book, any time Davidson gets close to sappy or silly, she quickly backs away and moves the story forward. I appreciate that. This type of book is good for listening while I drive.

I was a bit exasperated that all the "action" in the book (that is, all the info Goldy was collecting in her investigation) came in the form of talking to people and hearing their stories -- a type of passive writing as opposed to active. However, perhaps this is just more realistic as far as murder investigating goes. The lady does come across a lot of murdered people in her otherwise friendly small town. How much action could she expect? So I forgive the book for that disappointment. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
But jealous souls will not be answered so.
They are not ever jealous for
the cause but jealous for they're jealous.
'Tis a monster begot on itself,
borne on itself.
Othello, act III, scene iv
To Sandra Djikstra
and her marvelous team
Thank you for your decades of work to
support Goldy and me.
I tripped over the body of my friend Dusty Routt at half past ten on the night of October 19.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060527323, Mass Market Paperback)

Caterer Goldy Schulz's lucrative new gig, preparing breakfasts and conference room snacks for a local law firm, is time-consuming, but she's enjoying it . . . until the night she arrives to find Dusty, the firm's paralegal, dead. The deceased also happened to be Goldy's friend and neighbor, and now Dusty's grieving mother is begging Goldy to find out who murdered her daughter.

Just because the police are on the case doesn't mean Goldy can't do a little snooping herself. While catering a party at the home of one of the firm's lawyers, she just happens to overhear an incriminating conversation. She also discovers a few tasty clues in the kitchen. Before long, Goldy finds herself knee-deep in suspects. But one of them is incredibly dangerous . . . and very liable to cook Goldy's goose.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

When caterer Goldy Schulz stumbles upon a dead paralegal while on her latest catering job at a local law firm, she does her own snooping to find the killer, at the behest of the victim's mother, and is soon knee-deep in suspects.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible