Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

Dark Tort (2006)

by Diane Mott Davidson

not bad, kept me interested. and there are recipes after the last chapter ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
Two is a generous review. It was hard to figure out what was going on and who did it and why. I also disliked the reader. I don't recommend this audio book. ( )
  csobolak | Jun 11, 2013 |
It's been a few years since I last read a Goldy mystery. I thought maybe I'd grown so critical in my reading that I'd not like these books -- that I'd find them super cheesy and ridiculous (possibly why I'd stopped picking them up), but this one is a pleasant surprise. It's escape literature, for certain, but decent in that category. At least for this book, any time Davidson gets close to sappy or silly, she quickly backs away and moves the story forward. I appreciate that. This type of book is good for listening while I drive.

I was a bit exasperated that all the "action" in the book (that is, all the info Goldy was collecting in her investigation) came in the form of talking to people and hearing their stories -- a type of passive writing as opposed to active. However, perhaps this is just more realistic as far as murder investigating goes. The lady does come across a lot of murdered people in her otherwise friendly small town. How much action could she expect? So I forgive the book for that disappointment. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
Goldy schulz has a new contract catering for a high end law firm. Arriving at night to set up for the next day's breakfast meeting , she trips over neighbor and paralegal Dusty Routt in the lobby. Goldy promises dusty's mother Sally that she will find out what happened. ( )
  lindahallmann | Jul 9, 2011 |
One of the ones I’d missed was Dark Tort (about lawyers, and also cake – puns are de rigeur in cozies’ titles), which is what I’m reading now… NOT one of the better ones. I think in the whole of FF DMD managed to avoid one little quirk of hers which appears in nearly every other book, which always makes me roll my eyes so hard I’m afraid they’ll get stuck. In Dark Tort (Goldy Culinary Mysteries, Book 13), it’s: “My mouth watered as I placed the potato puff on a plate. With the first bite, I almost swooned.” She “almost swoons” a lot. Don’t get me wrong – I plan on making the potato puffs. I just gag a little every time she “almost swoons”.

Reading about writing has made me much more aware of how characters are described. DMD’s Goldy books are also first-person, and Goldy … looks in mirrors now and then. Oh dear. The writing in these really does vary wildly in quality. This one … Um. Waitaminnit – there’s no recipe for the potato puffs?

This one sucks. ( )
  Stewartry | Jun 12, 2011 |
But jealous souls will not be answered so.
They are not ever jealous for
the cause but jealous for they're jealous.
'Tis a monster begot on itself,
borne on itself.
Othello, act III, scene iv
To Sandra Djikstra
and her marvelous team
Thank you for your decades of work to
support Goldy and me.
I tripped over the body of my friend Dusty Routt at half past ten on the night of October 19.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060527323, Mass Market Paperback)

Caterer Goldy Schulz's lucrative new gig, preparing breakfasts and conference room snacks for a local law firm, is time-consuming, but she's enjoying it . . . until the night she arrives to find Dusty, the firm's paralegal, dead. The deceased also happened to be Goldy's friend and neighbor, and now Dusty's grieving mother is begging Goldy to find out who murdered her daughter.

Just because the police are on the case doesn't mean Goldy can't do a little snooping herself. While catering a party at the home of one of the firm's lawyers, she just happens to overhear an incriminating conversation. She also discovers a few tasty clues in the kitchen. Before long, Goldy finds herself knee-deep in suspects. But one of them is incredibly dangerous . . . and very liable to cook Goldy's goose.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:17 -0400)

When caterer Goldy Schulz stumbles upon a dead paralegal while on her latest catering job at a local law firm, she does her own snooping to find the killer, at the behest of the victim's mother, and is soon knee-deep in suspects.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,695,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible