Strange Piece of Paradise by Terri Jentz

Strange Piece of Paradise (2006)

by Terri Jentz

4431933,553 (3.81)24

Terri Jentz is pretty impressive. Not only does she survive a horrific attack and then rescue both her friend and herself, but she also returns to the scene of the crime years later to conduct her own investigation, since the statute of limitations has expired and the police never figured out whodunnit. I found the book to be difficult to read, unfortunately. One reason is the writing style. Jentz tends to repeat herself, and while as a human being I understand (if I were attacked with an axe, I'm sure I'd talk a lot about my scars also), as a reader, I found myself skimming. I think the prose could have been tightened considerably (no need to harp on the phrase 'strange piece of paradise' . . . or to describe every single return visit to the scene of the crime . . . or to describe multiple times what happened to her sleeping bag.) Another reason is that Jentz' investigation brought out stories of other awful crimes, including crimes against children, that I don't tolerate well. I like reading the "how we caught the evildoer" true crime investigations, but I don't like reading "here's the evil event told in tortuous detail" stories. I did my best to skip over those parts, but that meant I skipped a lot. (I realize this makes me a less than ideal reviewer.) Jentz handles other peoples' stories sensitively, appropriately employing pseudonyms at times. What I appreciated most about the book was Jentz' realization that the crime affected many people besides the direct victims. We are none of us alone. ( )
  iBeth | Aug 1, 2018 |
I found this book so very compelling and haunting. It was hard to put down. I read it ages ago, so I can't remember all the details, but I do feel like it seared a permanent mark into my consciousness. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Terry and Shayna are college students that suffer a horrible attack in an Oregon park by Dirk Durin. Terri has a wonderful writing style, bringing you to see what she saw that night of 6/22/77 when their tent was run over by a truck then this madman starts hacking both the girls with a hatchet. The crime was never solved but Terri went back to this Oregon community and does her own investigation- to try to put closure to this life altering attack. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 26, 2017 |
I listened to this book on Audio CD. I enjoyed hearing this woman's story about her survival and quest to find out who had harmed her. I would recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
I agree with what many other reviewers here have said--this book could have been much shorter and might well have been better off remaining a private journal for the author. I can completely understand her quest to find the man who nearly killed her and her friend, but it seems like once she lands on the likeliest suspect she begins twisting any and all "evidence" she might find to fit her previously-decided-upon conclusion. She clings to the smallest, often unsubstantiated details and to hearsay evidence from a variety of people who were not even close to the crime when it was perpetrated, 15 years before she began her investigation. Jentz seems to have gotten what she wanted out of writing this book--a sense of closure--but I as a reader was left with far more questions than answers and a lingering concern that her prime suspect (whose name is changed in the book, thank goodness) may, through the vehicle of this story, have been tried in the court of public opinion and been found guilty--by the author, anyway--despite a total lack of hard evidence. I give this book two stars because I applaud Jentz's courage in facing a part of her life which obviously shook her very deeply, but there is just not enough substance to make a compelling narrative or, in my opinion, convince a reader that the crime has been deeply and objectively investigated and can now be laid to rest. ( )
  etbm2003 | Aug 18, 2014 |
They make us parents want to keep our children

Locked up, safe even from the daily papers

That keep the grisly record of that frontier

Where things unspeakable happen along the highways.

In today's paper, you see the teen-aged girl

From down the street; camping in Oregon

At the far point of a trip across the country,

Together with another girl her age,

They suffered and survived a random evil.

-Robert Pinsky, An Explanation of America
For Donna, who saw me through.
Poised on that twilight edge between life and death, I felt intimately the part of me that was flesh, and I knew also that I was something more.

Fifteen years later, Terri returns to the small town where she was nearly murdered, on the first of many visits she will make “to solve the crime that would solve me.” And she makes an extraordinary discovery: the violence of that night is as present for the community as it is for her. Slowly, her extensive interviews with the townspeople yield a terrifying revelation: many say they know who did it, and he is living freely in their midst. Terri then sets out to discover the truth about the crime and its aftermath, and to come to terms with the wounds that broke her life into a before and an after. Ultimately she finds herself face-to-face with the alleged axman.

Powerful, eloquent, and paced like the most riveting of thrillers, Strange Piece of Paradise is the electrifying account of Terri’s investigation into the mystery of her near murder. A startling profile of a psychopath, a sweeping reflection on violence and the myth of American individualism, and a moving record of a brave inner journey from violence to hope, this searing, unforgettable work is certain to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

"In the summer of 1977, Terri Jentz and her Yale roommate, Shayna Weiss, make a cross-country bike trip. They pitch a tent in the desert of central Oregon. As they are sleeping, a man in a pickup truck deliberately runs over the tent. He then attacks them with an ax. The horrific crime is reported in newspapers across the country. No one is ever arrested. Both women survive, but Shayna suffers from amnesia, while Terri is left alone with memories of the attack. Their friendship is shattered." "Fifteen years later, Terri returns to the small town where she was nearly murdered, on the first of many visits she will make "to solve the crime that would solve me." And she makes an extraordinary discovery: the violence of that night is as present for the community as it is for her. Slowly, her extensive interviews with the townspeople yield a terrifying revelation: many say they know who did it, and he is living freely in their midst. Terri then sets out to discover the truth about the crime and its aftermath, and to come to terms with the wounds that broke her life into a before and an after. Ultimately she finds herself face-to-face with the alleged axman."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible