Triangle by Katharine Weber

Triangle

by Katharine Weber

Triangle: The Fire that Changed America by David Von Drehle (bnbookgirl)
    The Daring Ladies of Lowell by Kate Alcott (vwinsloe)
    The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these novels, elderly Jewish women -- one from New York's Lower East Side, the other from Boston's North End -- recount their life stories to interviewers, in the process vividly depicting people and places responsible for shaping their identities.… (more)

Odd, disjointed and chaotic - not unlike a fire. The exposition on math and music is distracting. Not really recommended. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 16, 2016 |
Unfocused and repetitive. The author could not decide what story to tell: George the composer's or Esther the fire survivor's. So she mashed them up into one incohesive mess. And then it seems like she realized that she didn't have enough of Esther's story to fill the book, so she just told it over and over again. Very disappointing, given what could have been a riveting topic for a novel. ( )
  VenusofUrbino | Sep 9, 2013 |
Good fiction about a historical tragedy. I could never really tell whether the parallel story of George's musical compositions was supposed to lighten up the somber subject at hand, or whether we were supposed to take it seriously. I enjoyed the story but did feel that the author could have deleted at least one or two of the interviews. ( )
  elsyd | Jun 23, 2013 |
This was a very good book about people and their stories. The ones they tell, and the ones told about them. I liked Esther's interactions with the interviewer as well as her granddaughter's friend George Bostwick composing music based on DNA. ( )
  krin5292 | Feb 24, 2013 |
Sorry--I couldn`t get past description of George and his music writing methods. I thought it was stupid and a waste of time to continue. A Faulkner book lie on my bedstand next to this nothing. Guess who won! ( )
  kerrlm | Jun 28, 2012 |
Poem entitled :Shirt" by Robert Pinsky
In Memory of my grandmothers: Pauline Gottesfeld Kaufman (1887-1969), who finished buttonholes at the Triangle Waist Company in 1909, and Kay Swift (1897-1993) who made wonderful music.
This is what happened.

By the time she dies at age 106, Esther Gottesfeld, the last survivor of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire, has told the story of that day many times. But her own role remains mysterious: How did she survive? Are the gaps in her story just common mistakes, or has she concealed a secret over the years? As her granddaughter seeks the real story in the present day, a zealous feminist historian bears down on her with her own set of conclusions, and Esther's voice vies with theirs to reveal the full meaning of the tragedy.

A brilliant chronicle of the event that stood for ninety years as New York's most violent disaster, Triangle forces us to consider how we tell our stories, how we hear them, and how history is forged from unverifiable truths.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:28 -0400)

The last living survivor of a 1911 sweatshop fire, 106-year-old Esther Gottesfeld passes away leaving numerous questions about the fire, which is investigated by her granddaughter Rebecca and a feminist historian with a personal agenda.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible