Hot Mama (Bigtime) by Jennifer Estep

Hot Mama (Bigtime) (edition 2007)

by Jennifer Estep

Collections:nook
Rating:***
Tags:Fiona Fine, fantasy, romance

Hot Mama by Jennifer Estep

A skinny fashionista that eats everything in sight? An only child who doesn't play well with others? A name dropping insider to the world of superheros? I think I've met (and hated) this woman before (except for the "superhero" part). I wasn't sure if Jennifer Estep had bitten off more than she could chew trying to turn Fiona Fine into a sympathetic heroine, but she did a masterful job. She even paired her with a flashy hero that could keep up with Fiona's fire, rather than dampening it. My issues with this book stemmed from an unexpected source, switching from KARMA GIRL's "outsider" narrator to Fiona's perspective led to a deluge of Bigtime name dropping, which in turn amped up the silliness of the novel over all. Add that to some obvious (and acknowledged) misses on the "Who's got a secret identity?" question, and this book wasn't an out of the ballpark hit for me. Luckily, I found Fiona and her Johnny charming enough to want to keep going.

Full review at All Things Urban Fantasy. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy:
www.allthingsurbanfantasy.blogspot.com

A skinny fashionista that eats everything in sight? An only child who doesn't play well with others? A name dropping insider to the world of superheros? I was worried that over-the-top, in-your-face Fiona Fine was going to be a hard sell as a sympathetic heroine, but Fiona’s loyalties and vulnerabilities won me over very early in the book.

On top of learning to love Fiona, Estep matches her up with Johnny Bulluci, a flashy hero with “heartthrob playboy” written all over him. Rather than dampen Fiona’s personality, he compliments it, and I enjoyed watching these two go head to head. Johnny’s grief over his father’s murder allows Fiona to demonstrate how much she’s grown since KARMA GIRL, further cementing my girl crush. Though my concerns about Fiona as a sympathetic heroine turned out to be unwarranted, her narration of the story ultimately didn’t work for me. The switch from an outsider narrator in KARMA GIRL to Fiona's “superhero born and bred” perspective led to a deluge of Bigtime name dropping, which amped up the silliness of the novel over all. That humor was, unfortunately, hit or miss for me. Add to that some obvious (and acknowledged) misses on the "Who's got a secret identity?" question, and HOT MAMA wasn’t able to stand up to KARMA GIRL in my estimation (though to Fiona’s defense, you’d go nuts assuming *everyone* has a cape and a secret identity).

While those few shortcomings knocked the book down a bat for me, I found Fiona and her Johnny charming enough to carry me through to the end (and their chemistry is noteworthy enough to warrant a look if you’re on the fence). I’ll leave it up to book three in the series, JINX, to see if the Bigtime series overall works for me. Maybe a heroine born to a superhero family without the useful powers will be the perfect mix of insider/outsider narration for me.

Sexual Content: Explicit sex scenes. ( )
  Capnrandm | Oct 11, 2011 |
Second in the Bigtime series, this one is a little more romance-y than the first, but it's still got that comic book feel as well. Estep plays with superhero tropes, poking gentle fun at the fact that NO ONE ever seems to recognize the superhero - even when it's someone they're around all the time. ( )
  dulcibelle | Aug 9, 2011 |
I really enjoyed this book, which is the first in a series. At the moment I am reading Jinx the third book of the series. ( )
  Aliwave12 | Jul 31, 2009 |
This book is a full-force tribute to the super hero genre and is predictable at every turn, but also incredibly fun.

Fiona is a fashion designer by day, and fire-wielding super heroine by night. Her fiance, a fellow member of their super hero group the Fearless 5, was slain over a year ago, and Fiona still hasn't moved on. However, when she meets the seductive Johnny Bulluci, her body reawakens and yearns for some passion - and drags her heart along. At the same time, two nefarious ubervillains are causing mischief all over Bigtime and there's a suspicious fellow who keeps following her super hero gang around on assignment...

Fiona is arrogant and obnoxious at times, but she's still a likeable character. The romance is fun, and Johnny isn't a jerk like some "manly-man" romance leads. Actually Fiona is the stronger one in their relationship, which is an enjoyable twist. I don't read many romances, but I'd like to read more in this series. It was wonderful fun, and it felt like the author was having fun, too. ( )
  ladycato | Jan 18, 2009 |

Fiona's personal life, though, isn't so hot. She still misses her fiancÂÂÂŽ, who was killed by ubervillains a year ago. Still, men admire Fiona's smoking assets, and she decides to get back in the dating game- especially after she meets Johnny Bulluci. But this notorious playboy has plenty of secrets to go along with his sexy smile. And, with two new ubervillains in town who are intent on raising hell, Fiona's love life might just crash and burn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:55 -0400)

By day, Fiona Fine is a successful couture designer, catering to the high society players of Bigtime, New York. By night, she's Fiera, a member of the heroic Fearless Five who can create and manipulate fire with her bare hands. Fiona's personal life, though, isn't so hot. She still misses her fiance , who was killed by ubervillains a year ago. Still, men admire Fiona's smoking assets, and she decides to get back in the dating game- especially after she meets Johnny Bulluci. But this notorious playboy has plenty of secrets to go along with his sexy smile. And, with two new ubervillains in town who are intent on raising hell, Fiona's love life might just crash and burn...… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,129,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible