Tweak by Nic Sheff

Tweak

by Nic Sheff

1,2025410,352 (3.6)17
The author details his immersion in a world of hardcore drugs, revealing the mental and physical depths of addiction, and the violent relapse one summer in California that forever changed his life, leading him down the road to recovery.
    Beautiful boy : a father's journey through his son's addiction by David Sheff (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: David Sheff is Nic Sheff's father, and Beautiful Boy recounts the story of Nic's addition from David's point of view.
    Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict by Christiane F. (BoekenTrol71)
    BoekenTrol71: I'm not sure if this book is translated into English. Recommended this one, because it made a HUGE impression on me when I read the book (and later watched the movie). Flashbacks from both haunted me whenever I encountered drugs: has been very effective...… (more)
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: A young adult's struggle with addiction to crystal meth.

Read Beautiful Boy, then read this book! BB explores the point of view of the father of a bright, talented boy who spirals into heavy drug use. His anguish is palatable, and it filled me with dread.

Nic Sheff, the son/drug user is an even better writer than his father. I wish I knew how much of this was written when he was actually using, and how much is written in hindsight! You understand the lure of the drugs, the shame he feels and shudder at the hold the drugs have, and will continue to have on him forever.

The most interesting thing is seeing the differences between the father's perspective and the son's reality. A true cautionary tale!

This book is being marketed primarily as a youth selection, which is unfortunate, since every parent should read it! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I don't like Nic Sheff. But he is okay with me not liking him. In fact, throughout this entire memoir, I believe he is pracitally daring me to hate his superficial, self-absorbed, rentable ass. Showing us all his past faults is part of the theraputic nature of memoir writing, I guess, and I don't actually resent him for that. God knows he's entitled to his therapy. And actually... I don't think I resent him all that much. He knows his problems. He's very intelligent, and able to look at himself and others honestly. But dammit, he likes bands I don't like and probably dresses like a hipster and has rich parents. So that's the level of dislike. Superficial. Hopefully having a book published (or two, I think, by now) will help aleviate Sheff's fear of being normal/boring.

I speak fluent california-ese (if you haven't noticed) so the slangy writing style didn't bother me at all. It was kind of a slog reading a whole book with characters you want to punch all the time and their totally unglamourous sex having and drug taking. And honestly I only read this book because I am obsessed with Breaking Bad, and I am actually not interested in meth as a drug or addicts or recovery (I like breaking bad for the humor and crime and general OTTness... drugs themselves become an abstract entity by the time of Jesse's rehab in the beginning of season 3). So it was like, reading a book on electrical wiring or baseball for me. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
I've put off reading this - it's just so incredibly sad. The sub title says it all. I read his Dad's book "Beautiful Boy' in May and I've started this a couple times. It is amazing this kid is even alive from how he describes his drug use; meth, cocaine, pot, heroin, Xanax, anything to get high.I hope he makes it! ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 27, 2017 |
Read this book twice now and both times I was completely caught up in Nic's story.Nowadays there seem to be alot of books on addiction and abuse that some call "fake" I don't know if this is one of them but it felt very real and honest. A very gritty and grimy look at drugs and the dark corners that an addict can find themselves in. ( )
  justablondemoment | Oct 25, 2016 |
This is the son's view of his life, in comparison with his father's _Beautiful Boy_. Interesting, and he confirms my thought that we, as parents, have much less control over h ow they turn out than we tend to think. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Jun 13, 2016 |
How can I go forward when I don't know which way I'm facing? ~John Lennon
For Lee and my friend in New York who took me in. You are both beautiful, inspiring, powerful women. You are the two people I respect and admire most in the world. Thank you.
I'd heard rumors about what happened to Lauren. I mean, I never even knew her that well but we'd sort of hung out a few times in high school. Actually, I was sleeping with her for about two weeks. She had moved to San Francisco when I was a senior and we met somehow -- at a party or something. Back in high school it was just pot, maybe I'd do some acid and mushrooms on the weekend.

Still, for all the therapy I had, none of it ever really fixed that feeling of torn-apartness inside of me. I learned how to express myself is all. And, for whatever reason, indentifying the root cause of my problem -- like fear of abandonment or something -- didn't change a goddamn thing. I could see quite clearly why I acted a certain way, but that wouldn't make me any different. I sought out craziness. I was attracted to it. No therapy could take that away. (Day 10)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,152,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible