The Seer of Shadows by Avi

The Seer of Shadows (2008)

by Avi

this book was alright. I kind of expected more from it because i was very drawn to it's cover, but i guess i expected a little too much from it's beauty. Like the saying, never judge a book by it's cover. by the time i realized it was going to be quite boring and uninteresting to me, i had already reached close to the ending, so i ended up reading the whole thing. I wouldn't really say i regretted it, but i just didn't enjoy it much. Nonetheless, i am still giving it three stars because i don't think 2 stars would be really enough. 2 and 1/2 stars, but there is mo option for that. ( )
  Lena_L | Apr 14, 2017 |
  lkmuir | Dec 1, 2015 |
The Seer of Shadows by Avi is set in New York just as the city is beginning to modernize. It's 1872. Horace Carpetine has been apprenticed to a photographer who specializes in ghost photography.

Well before the modern day Photoshop, photographers with access to a darkroom could use superimpositions and collage and hand retouching to augment their photographs. Some used their skills to make apparitions "appear" in their work.

Horace's first big job is to take the reference photographs that will help the photographer make his ghostly portraits for the wealthy family that's hired them. Except in doing so, Horace unearths an actual ghost and a dark family secret.

For fans of Goosebumps and similar books looking to sink their teeth into something a little scarier, The Seer of Shadows is perfect. For older readers who also enjoy Stephen King's shorter works, like "Sun Dog" will also like this one. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 4, 2015 |
Personal Response- I really enjoyed this book because I learned something about early photography. It was quite descriptive and I loved how Avi develops characters so well that you absolutely despise a certain character.

Curricular Connections- Use in photography class and compare with todays camera technology ( )
  amy.wesen | Mar 2, 2015 |
So I wrote my thesis on a 19th century photographer who was put on trial in NYC for making fraudulent photographs. He would take portraits and then superimpose images of the customer's dead relatives behind them. As a lover of historical fiction, especially children's and young adult historical fiction, I've often thought of trying to write a story about a photographer who sets out to dupe his customers with fake ghosts but encounters real ghosts instead. Well, Avi, noted and very prolific children's author, has beat me to it! His idea comes out a little bit different, but it's close enough that I probably wouldn't try to write my original idea. Did Avi read my thesis? Hee.
This was a good story--full of historical details about photography and the developing process. Also, just a good, scary story about a vengeful ghost who comes back to torment her evil aunt and uncle. ( )
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
FOR WALTER DEAN MYERS

SPECIAL THANKS TO ARLENE ROBILLARD,

WHO POINTED THE WAY
It was an October Morning in the year 1872, and New York City's air was so befogged with white mist and dark smoke that I could barely see across the street.

Horace Carpetine does not believe in ghosts.

Raised to believe in science and reason, Horace Carpetine passes off spirits as superstition. Then he becomes an apprentice photographer and discovers an eerie—and even dangerous—supernatural power in his very own photographs.

When a wealthy lady orders a portrait to place by her daughter's gravesite, Horace's employer, Enoch Middleditch, schemes to sell her more pictures—by convincing her that her daughter's ghost has appeared in the ones he's already taken.

It's Horace's job to create images of the girl. Yet Horace somehow captures the girl's spirit along with her likeness. And when the spirit escapes the photographs, Horace discovers he's released a ghost bent on a deadly revenge. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:58 -0400)

In New York City in 1872, fourteen-year-old Horace, a photographer's apprentice, becomes entangled in a plot to create fraudulent spirit photographs, but when Horace accidentally frees the real ghost of a dead girl bent on revenge, his life takes a frightening turn.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,657,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible