Snowfall at Willow Lake (Lakeshore…

Snowfall at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, Book 4) (edition 2008)

by Susan Wiggs

Member:MarjIndex
Title:Snowfall at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, Book 4)
Authors:Susan Wiggs
Info:Mira Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:***

Snowfall at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs

While I love reading Sophie's story, I don't understand Noah's reason for falling for an older woman. He supposedly attractive, kind, and all around good guy. So why did the story start with him feeling desperately lonely? I thought he as in his forties at from the first chapter. I just didn't feel like the chemistry between the characters were realistic. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
My favorite Lakeshore Chronicle novel: After the end of Sophie Bellamy's marriage to Greg (from Wiggs' novel [[ASIN:0778324753 Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, Book 3)]] ends, and her relationships with her two children and grandchild become strained, Sophie travels to the Catskills, to try to connect with her children (who she estranged while trying to protect them from the hardships she witnessed in her work overseas.) But after meeting Dr. Noah Shepherd, a veterinarian, she is slowly drawn into starting a new relationship, and comes to understand what she's been missing since the end of her marriage. I've enjoyed all the Lakeshore novels, but this was the first where I really felt drawn into the character's lives, not just Sophie's, but also the lives of more minor characters. As to the reader who said she disliked the book because it didn't have enough sizzle, well, it just wasn't that kind of book. It's true that it's not erotica, but it's not meant to be. Personally, I thought it was a perfect, cozy tale to curl up with on a winter day.

I'd also like to recommend [[ASIN:0385340656 Pieces of My Sister's Life]], a wonderfully romantic novel I read recently, about identical twins in love with the same man. Again, this was not a "sizzling" book by any means--although it did have a more intense plot than many of Wiggs' books. It was a beautiful, enchanting story, with enough twists and turns to keep me up late at night.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This book starts by establishing Sophie as an International human rights lawyer of considerable success living a life well away from that at Willow Lake where her children have grown up in her absence. After a terrorist incident she realises that she regrets the time away from her children and wants to spend time with them so she moves nearby to reconnect and in doing so finds a new relationship with a local vet.

I thought that this book was unbalanced in the way that it was written. The chapters abroad are exciting and action filled so that it is really difficult to believe that Sophie, whatever sort of an epiphany she had had, would be satisfied with the insular and unexciting rural way of life. I kept expecting the terrorist incident to affect her new way of life more than it did or for the author to let Sophie have some respite from her feelings and other people's opinions about her "neglect" of her children. I got the message early on that the author does not think that a woman with children can be fulfilled in any other way than in devoting her life to their upbringing and rather wished that she had stopped labouring the point.

The ending of the book is predictable and the children remarkably forgiving if they really have been neglected as much as is indicated but it is readable and passes the time pleasantly enough. ( )
  AnneHudson | Mar 2, 2013 |
This was a good book. Definitely a different story line than most romances. If someone were looking for a good book, I probably would not think of this book to recommend, but I would definitely pass the book along and say it was good. Light, enjoyable reading for sure. ( )
  jlouise77 | Oct 3, 2012 |

Susan Wiggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bean, JoyceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rose Marie Harris, who owned and operated Paperbacks Plus, the best little bookstore in Washington State for the past twenty-seven years. She's the kind of bookseller every writer dreams about-well-read, enthusiastic, caring and helpful, with an uncanny knack for putting the right book into the hands of the reader who is sure to love it. A book signing at Paperbacks Plus always involved plenty of food, friends and fun, making for unforgettable events, year in and year out.

To Rose Marie, Kate, Lois and the rest of the staff-it was a great run, ladies. Thanks for everything.
Every station on Noah Shepherd's truck radio was broadcasting the incessant warning.

4th Book in the Lakeshore Chronicles Series. Can a single moment change your entire life? International lawyer Sophie Bellamy has dedicated her life to helping people in war-torn countries. But when she survives a hostage situation, she remembers what matters most--the children she loves back home. Haunted by regrets, she returns to the idyllic Catskills village of Avalon on the shores of Willow Lake, determined to repair the bonds with her family. There Sophie discovers the surprising rewards of small-town life--including an unexpected passion for Noah Shepherd, the local veterinarian. Noah has a healing touch for anything with four legs, but he's never had any luck with women--until Sophie. Snowfall at Willow Lake speaks from the heart about all the loves that fill a woman's life, and all the ways that love is tested and made to grow. It's the story of what comes after a woman survives an unspeakable horror and finds her way home, to healing and redemption and a new chance at happiness.

After surviving a hostage situation, lawyer Sophie Bellamy returns home to the peaceful Catskills village of Avalon where she, while repairing the bonds with her family, falls in love with the local veterinarian.

Susan Wiggs is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible