The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas…

The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas père

14,404254139 (4.34)4 / 928
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The stars my destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories (Penguin Classics) by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    The great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (237)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Turkish (1)  German (1)  All languages (254)
[MINOR SPOILERS] This vast tale of revenge and the calamitous morality of the wronged man spans twenty-five years in France and Italy, from the depths of the Château d’If to the faded glory of Rome to the heart of the most glittering capitol of 19th century Europe, Paris.

The story is one that, in one form or another, most people know: it has been re-written and remade often enough. But to really get the fullest sense of Dumas’ tale, this book, and particularly this translation, is the one that you have to read. It’s an investment of time and effort which isn’t always as fully rewarded as the modern reader might hope. The heightened drama of the final few chapters isn’t entirely carried through to the sort of return on investment that this reader, for one, expected (more on that shortly). But the skill with which Dumas weaves his tapestry, ties his characters together, and then allows natural justice and fate to take their course… it’s really something to behold.

The tale is a straightforward enough one, but requires the reader to remember a bit of history which, for Dumas’ contemporary readers, would have been entirely familiar. Napoleon Bonaparte, having been exiled to the island of Elba following a series of defeats at the hands of his European and British enemies, staged a return to France in February, 1815. Supporters of the Emperor rallied against the restored French monarchy, and for a brief period of the Hundred Days, Napoleon attempted to regain his lost glory, before the people turned against him and he was forced to flee, demanding asylum on the British ship HMS Bellerophon. The British would exile him again, this time to St. Helena, where he would die in 1821.

Against this backdrop, Dumas places his faithful, honest sailor, Edmond Dantès. Working as a first mate on a merchant craft owned by the firm of Morrel, the Pharaon, Dantès has assumed command when the ship’s Captain has died en route to Marseille. The Captain, a secret Bonapartist, has charged Dantès with delivering a letter to Paris address: the latter is innocent of its contents. However, another member of the crew, Danglars, is jealous of Dantès’ rapid rise, and discovers that the letter is intended for the Bonapartist cabal in Paris. Fernand, a Catalan living in Marseilles, is jealous of Dantès’ fiancée, Mercédès, and wants her for himself. And a purported friend of the family, the neighbor Caderousse, wants Dantès’ profits from his voyage, which he has diligently saved for his ailing father. Together, they conspire - half-jokingly - to write a letter denouncing Dantès to the authorities, which Fernand then sends. Dantès is arrested and hauled before the initially sympathetic prosecutor, Villefort, who finds to his horror that the letter is addressed to his own father. So that the secret will never emerge, Villefort arranges for Dantès to be imprisoned without trial in the Château d’If, a forbidding stone fortress and prison, where Dantès will remain for the next fourteen years.

This first act is then followed by a series of further adventures as Dantès struggles to escape and, having done so, to revenge himself upon the four men who betrayed him, with Dantès taking the guise of the Count of Monte Cristo. The quest for vengeance will take him all across the Mediterranean, and finally from Rome to the heart of Paris’ glittering society of the ultra-wealthy of the 1840s. It is here that he begins to draw his net around his four victims, having spent ten years amassing his intelligence and making his plans for their deaths and disgrace.

The book moves quite quickly for such a vast tome; in this translation by Robin Buss, Dumas is a fresh and lively writer who rarely bogs down in excessive detail. It’s quite a feat, considering the number of characters and plot twists thrown into the story. The tension to be had from awaiting what appears to be the ultimate fate of the Count’s intended targets: will he also destroy the families of the men who betrayed him? Just how far will Dantès’ quest for revenge take him? Along the way, many other secrets are revealed, some of which have disastrous or scandalous consequences, and it does seem that Dumas is trying to tell us that those who exercise their freewill to the detriment of others tend to be drawn toward others with similar characters, even if they do not realize it. The ending, unfortunately, does seem as though Dumas simply had a bad case of writer’s-quill cramp and wanted to wrap everything up, for which I can hardly blame him, but it would have been nice to be present, as a reader, when the girl came back out of the coffin, as it were. I’ll say no more than that.

According to translator Robin Buss, this is the first unexpurgated version of Monte Cristo in English, and a lot of tame (to modern readers, anyway) references to poisoning, violence, and even lesbianism are left in the book as a result. But this is part of the liveliness of honesty of this tale, which ends up, in spite of itself, with a rather moral tone to it. The Count of Monte Cristo is no more a swashbuckling tale than it is a passion play, and it is certainly not “a children’s book,” but it is a tremendous story. Put this one on your “To Read” pile, especially if you have planning for your own vendettas in mind. Well worth the time and effort, four and a half stars (removing a few points for chronology errors, and a slightly too-truncated ending). ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 23, 2015 |
One of the best I've ever read.

No, seriously. I have some great favorites out there. East of Eden by John Steinbeck. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. And this goes up there with those literary greats. Why haven't I read this before now?

I can't even begin to share how wonderful of an adventure it was to read this book. Sure, it was on the long side…with over 1000 pages to read. It took me about two months to get through the entire thing, when most books take me more or less a week. But boy, did I not mind taking my sweet time. I felt that I was on as much of an adventure reading the book as the Count of Monte Cristo himself was over the time period that occurred. Halfway through the book, I already found myself reminiscing about some of the events that occurred much earlier in the story. It was that great.

The characters from the world of Alexandre Dumas are all deep and multidimensional. Even some of the characters who get little narrative time come fleshed out and deep and engrossing. There's so much under-the-surface material to work with, that if I were crazy enough, I could easily write some critical analysis papers on simply the minor characters in this story. Likewise, the plot intricacies are deeply embedded in one another, and it's deeply engrossing to unravel the finely woven fibers of detail that Dumas sets up.

I gasped. I chuckled. I was saddened. I went through a catharsis of emotion as I read each and every page of this wonderful story. If you have the time (and if you're on Goodreads, you obviously do), this is a must read that I highly recommend to anyone out there. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
After reading several rave reviews about this book on Reddit, I decided to give it a try. What a journey! I started three weeks ago and finished it yesterday. In between this time, I became obsessed. All of my idle thoughts brought me back to the story of Edmond Dantes. I laughed, I cried, I received a brief history lesson on Europe in the 1800’s.

The Count of Monte Cristo is very well written and flows beautifully (I read the Robin Buss translation, for reference). There are some descriptive passages that occasionally seem to drag on, but what is a novel if it is only action, action, action all the time and devoid of thought-provoking prose? I wavered between flying through the pages to see what might happen next to pausing and closing the book so I could contemplate what I had just read.

Here is a small sample of one of my favorite passages: “Well, my dear father, in the shipwreck of life – for life is an eternal shipwreck of our hopes – I throw all my useless baggage in the sea, that’s all, and remain with my will, prepared to live entirely alone and consequently entirely free.”

If only this book could have gone on forever. Loyally, I would have kept turning the pages for all eternity. ( )
  theokayest | May 22, 2015 |
I feel like this had the potential to be excellent, but as it is, I feel I'm being generous giving it 4 stars. It was too long and I felt let down at the end. There were some really good parts, though--I loved the thematic elements like the revenge and the Count being a very mysterious, super-human type of man. Also, for as long as it is, the pacing is not bad at all. Things moved along surprisingly quickly. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Jamais li outro livro do mesmo tamanho. A experiência me reforçou como um dedicado rato de biblioteca, em vez de um leitor meramente casual. O enredo é tão absorvente que me senti novamente como uma criança de oito anos. Ao contrário de outros romances de Dumas, este tem muito pouco de swashbuckle, sendo mais um romance do tipo psicológico recheado de escapadas de última hora e aventuras quase letais. O final, como todo o mundo sabe, é um pouco demasiado up-beat, mas e daí? A vida é cheia de alegrias e maravilhas inesperadas. ( )
  jgcorrea | Apr 24, 2015 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,148,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible