The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas…

The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas père, Alexandre Dumas, pere

13,555233157 (4.36)4 / 868
1001 (62) 1001 books (51) 19th century (258) adventure (389) Alexandre Dumas (45) betrayal (61) classic (719) classic fiction (56) Classic Literature (73) classics (600) Dumas (75) ebook (90) favorites (61) fiction (1,396) France (344) French (299) French literature (331) historical (76) historical fiction (244) Kindle (81) literature (365) novel (223) own (67) prison (73) read (162) revenge (340) romance (83) to-read (335) translation (67) unread (92)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre pere Dumas (caflores)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories [by Guy de Maupassant] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    D'artagnan Romances, The (5 Volume Set: The Three Guardsman; Vicomte De Bragelonne; Ten Years Later; Louise de la Vallie by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (Pixelinchen, lizzybeans11)
    Pixelinchen: The Count of Monte Cristo in the British dotcom world of the 20th Century
    Shogun: A Novel of Japan by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)
    The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (keremix)

English (217)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (232)
The Count of Monte Cristo is a classic story of betrayal and revenge. Edmond Dantes has it all: a father he loves, a pending promotion, and a beautiful fiance. Unfortunately, others envy him his good fortune and conspire to have him sent to prison for a crime he didn’t commit. When a fellow prisoner informs him of a treasure located on the Isle of Monte Cristo, he determines to escape and use that treasure to enact his revenge.

From the great introduction to this book, I learned that Dumas wrote this to be published in sections in newspapers and was paid by the line. Reading The Count of Monte Cristo with it’s convoluted plot and inclusion of mundane conversations, that incentive is clear. However unnecessarily complicated the count’s revenge may be, it was still a lot of fun to read about. While some sections dragged a little, there was always some part of the plot which made me want to read quickly because I couldn’t wait to find out what happened next. The events could be cliched at times, but I enjoy cliches and to be fair to the author, he may be the originator of some of these now-cliched plot devices.

One small problem I had with this book was the dislikable nature of our protagonist. As time goes by he gets more and more arrogant, convinced that his revenge is the hand of God! Fortunately for us, a pair of young lovers shows up for us to root for instead, so I never found myself without a character to relate to. Overall, this was far from the best classic I’ve read. It gave little insight into human nature and wasn’t especially well written. Fortunately, these flaws didn’t stop if from being an amusing swashbuckling adventure which was a lot of fun to read. Given it’s success as a light adventure story, I might recommend searching for a well done abridged versions. While the idea of missing parts of a story makes me nervous, I don’t think anyone is going to want to pick up a 1000 page book for light entertainment.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
This was a very fun book to read. It's long, about 1000 pages, but is definitely a page-turner. Most people are probably familiar with at least the beginning of the story. The innocent Edmund Dantes is imprisoned for 14 years, escapes, and proceeds to avenge himself as the Count of Monte Cristo. The book brings up serious questions about vengeance and the role of the man vs. God in seeking vengeance and punishing the guilty. I had some real problems with how the Count seeks vengeance, the peripheral people he hurts, his regrets (which I didn't think were deep enough), and the way he still tries to control outcomes, even intending good, instead of letting people live their own lives (regarding Valentine and Maximillien Morrel for those who know the book). But I loved that the book brought up these themes and made me think.

I loved the first 300 pages and the last 300 pages, but the middle 300 dragged a bit for me. I had lots of thoughts in the middle of the book about cursing the publishers who paid authors by the line, as Dumas was paid for this book. I think he dragged out a lot of scenes and that the suspense aspect of the book would have been more effective if the book had been more tightly constructed.

Additionally, I read in the foreward of the book that this was written around the same time as Madame Bovary and that they represented different trends in literature. Dumas was writing a novel published serially that is part adventure novel, part suspense, part historical fiction, part travelogue. Flaubert was presenting a carefully crafted novel that he wanted to be realistic (part of the realism movement). I read Madame Bovary last year and I didn't love it right when I finished reading, but I've thought more and more about it since I put it away and the more I reflect on it the more I appreciate it and consider one of the best books I've read. I'm not sure that Dumas really achieved the same heights as Flaubert, but he created an adventure novel that is more than just adventure and addresses some serious themes as well. It's a novel that will stick with me and I enjoyed the experience. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 15, 2014 |
Though long, and clearly showing that Dumas was paid by the word, the story of the Count of Monte Cristo is the quintessential revenge plot, with a epic sweep of one's life and his all-consuming quest to avenge the wrongs done to him. Even at over 1,000 pages, the plot does move relatively swiftly and one soon finishes it. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
I'm writing a review now because frankly, this book took up a lot of my damn time and I want my two cents out there on the Internet.

That's the thing, this novel is an investment. You take the first step by delving into the first of its 1200 or so pages and you get this overwhelming need to stick with it until the bitter end.

I'll admit it took me about ten months to read, but to my credit I got stuck on the Rome section and left it down for about nine of those months. Not to mention that the book was serialised from 1844 to 1846 so it's almost like it was intended to be read in this way? Almost. Not quite.

For all my complaining, man, was it amazing. I mean sure, some of the sections made you want to claw your eyes out but there's 200 amazing pages for every 20 bad ones.

I generally just go with the motions when I read old novels. I can sit there and appreciate them, no problem, but rarely do I get gripped on finding out what's happening and seeing the resolution. This changed that, big time. How anyone can read the abridged version is beyond me. You need to remember every little thing to appreciate the complexity of the story once it is revealed. You need to be taken on the entire journey before you can understand the importance of the destination. Get on halfway through and you won't feel the same sense of justice and completion, you just won't.

Two bits of advice:
Read the book.
Read the unabridged. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Edmond Dantes je plemenit, lep, mladi mornar zaljubljen u predivnu Mercedes. Danglers koji želi da se dočepa njegovog zlata, Kaderus, lupež koji želi ličnu osvetu i zli general Mondego koji želi Mercedes za ženu, optužuju Edmunda za pljačku upravo na dan njegov venčanja i on biva zatvoren u zloglasni zatvor Sato D'if. Bežeci iz zatvora, na zabačenom ostrvu pronalazi ogromno blago. U Pariz se vraća kao bogati i misteriozni grof Monte Kristo. Kako bih isterao pravdu i sprao ljagu sa svog imena - uz pomoć tri nova i urnebesna prijatelja!
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the watchtower at Marseilles signaled the arrival of the three-master Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:53 -0400)

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantes is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular succes when it was first serialized in the 1840s.… (more)

Sixteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,213,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible