The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas père

19,888350131 (4.33)4 / 1192
The Count of Monte Cristo is the tense and exciting story of Edmond Dantes, a man on the threshold of a bright career and a happy marriage, who is imprisoned in the island fortress of the Chateau d'If on a false political charge. After staging a dramatic escape, he finds the fabulous treasure of Monte Cristo which makes him wealthy. He then sets upon the course of revenge against his old enemies.… (more)
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Popular Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Kevin Reynolds (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Great script, superb cast, beautiful music, gorgeous production design.
    The Three Musketeers Twenty Years After The Vicomte of Bragelonne Ten Years Later Louise de la Valliere The Man in the Iron Mask (The Complete d'Artagnan Romances): Completed Second Edition by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Count of Monte Cristo was the inspiration for Ben-Hur; the main character Edmond Dantes is falsely accused, escapes his imprisonment and seeks vengeance on those responsible for his imprisonment. [Wikipedia article, "Judah Ben Hur", citing The Book Lover's Devotional. Barbour Publishing. 2011]… (more)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (lizzybeans11)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)

Europe (206)

English (327)  Spanish (7)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (349)
Profound. ( )
  moab222 | Sep 11, 2020 |
It flows like an on-edge television show and it bites like a wolf: revenge, murder, political plots, duels, swordfights, romance, history and grit - great fun (but read a good translation and a full version!). ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
A day late, but I finally finished Monte Cristo March. The scope and reach of this novel are pretty grand, but some crucial parts ended up feeling like a drag. The middle third of the book took me forever to get through relative to the start and the end, and unfortunately the final 80 pages felt unending. Looking back it's like I was on on a different emotional pace than the story for those parts. I don't regret it, but I wasn't blown away either. Overall I'd say it was pretty neat.

ETA: Looking back at this review, I realized I undersold the parts of this book that were really good. The first third of the book is unforgettable, and would be worth reading even by itself. It almost made the other 1000 pages worth it on its own. But...not quite. ( )
  PhasicDA | Aug 3, 2020 |
I was nicely immersed in this overly theatrical drama. I loved the first quarter - the setup and nadir and building a man back up. The intervening years of him essentially being Batman were tedious and I found myself just wanting to know how it turns out with Mercedes. I know I miss out on a moralistic episode with the next generation, but that was a good enough dose for me - the first 300 pages, then spark notes. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Gave up and did not finish and won't try again later. Its a story of revenge. But after the protagonist, the Count of Monte Cristo, bumps off his third adversary, the thrill was gone and I had no desire to continue to read the same story again. ( )
  JoeHamilton | Jul 21, 2020 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

On February 24, 1815, the lookout of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,478,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible