The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas…

The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)

by Alexandre Dumas père

16,873309105 (4.34)4 / 1108
    The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska, Baroness Orczy (SandSing7)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Popular Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    The Count of Monte Cristo [2002 film] by Kevin Reynolds (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Great script, superb cast, beautiful music, gorgeous production design.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Three Musketeers Twenty Years After The Vicomte of Bragelonne Ten Years Later Louise de la Valliere The Man in the Iron Mask (The Complete d'Artagnan Romances): Completed Second Edition by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (lizzybeans11)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Shogun by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)

English (287)  Spanish (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All (308)
This story is mostly a very long adventure story with themes of revenge. Dante's is harmed by evil people. He goes to prison where he is without hope but he manages to survive. As the Count of Monte Cristo, he takes his revenge on others by setting them up to destroy themselves. I thought I would really like this story but I often found myself not liking it, not liking the main character and not liking the whole revenge as it also seems wrong. In the end, I needed to remind myself that this is an adventure story. The ending was also displeasing. I did not think it fair to have to mourn for 30 days the death of a loved one. I understand why he did it, it just seems so cruel. What right does the Dante have to act as God? I thought the story was way too long, covered too much territory and I am glad I listened to it instead of read this huge overwritten book. That being said, I would read it again and I think I might enjoy it more with a second reading. Rating 3.83 ( )
  Kristelh | May 13, 2018 |
One of my favorites. This book has reflected in me a texture of human success, failure, suffering, revenge and evolution. Exceptionally well written. ( )
  Kaippallil | Apr 9, 2018 |
Everyone in this book is bat-shit crazy. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
This was only the abridged version and therefore I feel like I missed out on alot of the stories context. However, Alexandre Dumas did a magnificent job in writing this story. I fell in love with Edmond Dantes from the very beginning. ( )
  LiteraryW | Mar 19, 2018 |
Oh, ho, the unabridged version! I've seen the 2002 film, though not the 1934 film. Looking for something interesting to read among the classics, I chose this one recently. In full disclosure, my medication has left me quite unable to sleep like a human being, so I've had a lot of extra time to tackle this book rather quickly (relatively speaking). Unlike other longer books I've read from this period, it's been a breeze to get through, and quite enjoyable. Also, it's another example of a book being superior (and quite different to, in many respects) any film adaptations. My edition isn't exactly this one, as many books I read (when not from the library) are actually on my nook (though I select the closest approximate on this website), and it has a few spelling/grammar/format errors here and there (not prohibitively so). I'm only encouraged to read more works by Alexandre Dumas, who seems to have led quite the interesting life himself! ( )
  Michael_Rose | Mar 15, 2018 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Introduction
Alexandre Dumas was a force of nature.
On February 24, 1815, the lookout of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,479,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible