The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

The Count of Monte Cristo (original 1844; edition 1999)

by Alexandre Dumas, John Mortimer (Introduction), Roman Pisarev (Illustrator), Anonymous (Translator)

17,171312151 (4.33)4 / 1111
Member:drasvola
Title:The Count of Monte Cristo
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Other authors:John Mortimer (Introduction), Roman Pisarev (Illustrator), Anonymous (Translator)
Info:Folio Society (1999)
Tags:Folio Society, Fiction

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (1844)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (caflores)
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester (rareflorida)
    rareflorida: An old SciFi classic based upon The Count of Monte Cristo. Be patient because the begining of the story may be frustrating but you will eventually see the intelligence.
    The Black Tulip by Alexandre père Dumas (2below)
    2below: These stories share some key themes and plot elements. It's not nearly as epic as The Count of Monte Cristo but makes for an interesting comparison.
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy Emmuska (SandSing7)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (VictoriaPL)
    Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (VictoriaPL)
    Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini (MarcusBrutus)
    The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox (citygirl)
    citygirl: Another detailed, intricately plotted revenge tale.
    The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (keeneam)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: The story of a man consumed by his obsession, but instead of revenge, Gatsby is chasing the American dream.
    Ivanhoe by Walter Scott (SandSing7)
    Selected Short Stories [Penguin Popular Classics] by Guy de Maupassant (bokai)
    bokai: While Maupassant's power is in his slice of life short stories told in an objective narrative voice and Dumas is the master of the thousand page epic told (see more) in highly sympathetic narration, both authors evoke images of the same France and are unequaled in their skill at bringing character and conflict to life. A short by Maupassant is a great way to break up the lengthy prose of Dumas, and Dumas, in turn, expands and elaborates the world that Maupassant provides only glimpses of.… (more)
    The Count of Monte Cristo [2002 film] by Kevin Reynolds (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Fascinating interpretation. Very free and very different. Really an independent work of art. If not superior to the novel, certainly not inferior to it either. Great script, superb cast, beautiful music, gorgeous production design.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both are adventure stories that take place over a number of years and deal with riches, revenge, and romance
    The Three Musketeers Twenty Years After The Vicomte of Bragelonne Ten Years Later Louise de la Valliere The Man in the Iron Mask (The Complete d'Artagnan Romances): Completed Second Edition by Alexandre Dumas (MarcusBrutus)
    Gil Blas by Alain René Le Sage (roby72)
    The Stars' Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry (lizzybeans11)
    The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (joririchardson)
    Shogun by James Clavell (ShaneTierney)

English (290)  Spanish (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (311)
In 1815 Edmond Dantès, a young and successful merchant sailor who has just recently been granted the succession of his erstwhile captain Leclère, returns to Marseille to marry his Catalan fiancée Mercédès. Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration.
  JESGalway | Sep 3, 2018 |
Whew, this one took me some time to read! I read the Penguin Classics version, an unabridged version translated by Robin Buss. It’s 1276 pages according to Amazon and it kept me entertained during my spare moments while traveling on business for the first half of August.

The Count of Monte Cristo was originally published in France in 1844. It’s set primarily in France in the 1800’s, although we visit other countries also. At the beginning, the main character Edmond Dantes is a young man whose life is looking up. He has promising career prospects and is engaged to a woman he loves. Unfortunately, he also has jealous acquaintances who conspire to prevent him from gaining the things they want for themselves.

I’ll leave the rest of the story a surprise for the few people who don’t already know it anyway, but the story has quite a bit of meat to it. I had thought it would be primarily about the event that happened near the beginning (Dantes’ imprisonment), but it moved on from that part quicker than I expected. The story has elements of adventure and romance, lots of scheming, and a bit of mystery. It does have an awful lot of melodrama, and you never saw so many pale and trembling people. It also relies heavily on coincidences.

The melodrama and coincidences got to be a bit much for me at times, but overall I enjoyed the story and I’m glad I read it. I’m rating it at 3.5 stars and rounding up to 4 on Goodreads. If I manage to get into the mood for a movie anytime soon, I might try watching it to see how the adaptation was handled. It must surely cut out a huge portion of the plot. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Aug 18, 2018 |
A fantastic story of retribution and revenge. I took the plunge reading the unabridged version and although it took a while to get into, I couldn't stop reading once the Count had been fully unleashed. I kept expecting negative things to happen to the protagonist but instead, pure revenge. It was great to read through and this one-sided dynamic didn't get boring at all. ( )
  skateboard34 | May 25, 2018 |
This story is mostly a very long adventure story with themes of revenge. Dante's is harmed by evil people. He goes to prison where he is without hope but he manages to survive. As the Count of Monte Cristo, he takes his revenge on others by setting them up to destroy themselves. I thought I would really like this story but I often found myself not liking it, not liking the main character and not liking the whole revenge as it also seems wrong. In the end, I needed to remind myself that this is an adventure story. The ending was also displeasing. I did not think it fair to have to mourn for 30 days the death of a loved one. I understand why he did it, it just seems so cruel. What right does the Dante have to act as God? I thought the story was way too long, covered too much territory and I am glad I listened to it instead of read this huge overwritten book. That being said, I would read it again and I think I might enjoy it more with a second reading. Rating 3.83 ( )
  Kristelh | May 13, 2018 |
One of my favorites. This book has reflected in me a texture of human success, failure, suffering, revenge and evolution. Exceptionally well written. ( )
  Kaippallil | Apr 9, 2018 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Introduction
Alexandre Dumas was a force of nature.
On February 24, 1815, the lookout of Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon, coming from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
These should be the unabridged editions of The Count of Monte Cristo

blurb: This enduringly popular tale of live and vengeance in the post Napoleonic era follows Edmond Dantes as he prepares to captain his own ship and marry his beloved Mercedes. But on his wedding day, he is betrayed by spiteful enemies and arrested on trumped up charges. Condemned to lifelong imprisonment, he befriends Abbe Faria, a priest and fellow inmate with an escape plan. When Abbe Faria dies, Edmond escapes alone. Free at last, and incredibly wealthy, Edmond enters society posing as the brooding and mysterious count of Monte Cristo to reclaim his lost love and exact a terrible vengeance from his accusers.

Translated with an Introduction by Robin Buss.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

Edmund Dantes, unjustly convicted of aiding the exiled Napoleon, escapes after fourteen years of imprisonment and seeks revenge in Paris.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102103, 1400108624

Skyhorse Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Skyhorse Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,997,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible